New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Foiled again  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:21:58 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
A few weeks back I lost the pinpoint/ground grab button function. When pressed all it would do is increase the disc level. It hasnt been drowned or anything like that but of course has been out in cold damp weather if moisture is a possibility. I let it sit without the battery for a few days and it returned to normal.
It has played up again now, and Im wondering if anyone has come across this in a Gold Bug. Its the SE digital version.
Does it need the contacts inside cleaned/re-soldering or something like that?
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
lifejockey  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 October 2012 1:56:04 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Sounds very much like a humidity problem. Fine dust gets inside and that attracts and holds moisture leading to a short.... Best practice, which I did with my gold bug before first assembling, is to cover all seams and gaps incl speaker with electrical tape.

Just leave it in a warm dry place for as long as you can. A week or so in the hot water cupboard should do it. Then test it and seal it up.

L
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
Foiled again  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 October 2012 3:35:00 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Cheers LJ. That's what I'm figuring too so yea keeping her warm but I do wonder if there is a little electrical fault or something worn. Nothing on the web to indicate others with same prob.
Is contact cleaner sprayed around inside guna help?
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
lifejockey  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 October 2012 5:06:59 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I have found that contact cleaner actually adds to the gunk. The only way to remove moisture is to warm air dry... Then a good blow out with a low pressure blower, like air in a can for cleaning cameras etc. Opening the case maybe problematical. If you do.... take some pics... would love to see inside :)

If it worked after a short dry out, then didn't, I don't think there is any damage or looseness anywhere, just wasn't dry enough.... or the gunk got wet again.

L
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope