New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Bikerman  
Posted : Sunday, 2 January 2011 12:52:13 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Rivers are up in flood here in Central Otago at the mo, been wandering downstream from Alexandra cleaning the growth and crevices off rocks close to the rivers edge, picked up about a quarter of a teaspoon of fine and flakey gold so far.
Been wearing cam gear to keep a low profile, lot of traffic on the river the past few days lol
More potential down there yet I feel, seriously thinking of one of these to process more and work faster so I can be in and out quicker lol http://www.goldminingnz....r-7-x-24-sluice-box.html

Might find out how much they weigh, carrying over 40kgs in the pack already...
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 3 January 2011 5:01:56 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Bikerman. I wish I was down your way. I had a look at that set up. It is pretty small at 7" wide & 24" long but I guess for a light weight back packable unit to do a bit of sampling on the rivers edge you couldnt go wrong. With a bilge pump it should be pretty quiet too. Im off for a dredge for a few days so will report back on my findings.

Happy new year & happy hunting

JW :)
Bikerman  
Posted : Monday, 3 January 2011 1:50:06 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Opted for one of these first, http://gold-n-sand.com/#...d-n-sand-pump/4536573307 NZ$192.00 delivered...bucket sluice next
Edited to add...
Ok, just bought this http://www.goldminingnz....sluice-concentrator.html and the tap, off to TM for a low amp drawing 12v pump. 750gph should be enough, and a drycell 12v battery

Edited by user Monday, 3 January 2011 2:10:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 3 January 2011 3:36:20 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Curious how you get on with the Gold-N-Sand hand dredge - looks like a handy piece of equipment - please let us know how you get on with it ;)
roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 3 January 2011 7:11:38 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Bikerman wrote:
Opted for one of these first, http://gold-n-sand.com/#...d-n-sand-pump/4536573307 NZ$192.00 delivered...bucket sluice next
Edited to add...
Ok, just bought this http://www.goldminingnz....sluice-concentrator.html and the tap, off to TM for a low amp drawing 12v pump. 750gph should be enough, and a drycell 12v battery

Hi Bikerman, I bought the hand pump, and also the California plastic sluices [both the smaller and larger one] a few months back. I'm thinking of the same plan of attack as yourself.... backpack in, hand dredge some spots, and sluice the material.... as quickly and efficiently as possible. Yet to actually put the gear into action.... another month or so, and will be in the country, and then down south before summer's end.

Edited by user Monday, 3 January 2011 7:15:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 3 January 2011 7:12:46 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
double post

Edited by moderator Monday, 3 January 2011 7:14:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bikerman  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 January 2011 2:48:38 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Ok, guys, yesterday I was out at Conroys Dam for a looksee, creek was up and swift. I had a bit of a scrape and found a bit of color so at least its worth going back in there at a later stage with a sluice.
Walking back to my car I saw movement up the hillside on the other side of the creek, my initial thought was it was a shooter so I sat to watch him for a few minutes to see how he was getting on....well he wasnt shooting rabbits thats for sure. The guy was detecting, his detector had a white coil

So this morning I'm heading back there to see if hes still camped up in there and to introduce myself.

Not long after I arrived up here my car crapped out a day before starting new job, I was in a major panic to find transport asap, the only thing I found in an afternoon was a 93 honda Integra...lowered....boyracer style...
So if ya see a older guy wearing cam gear, and a little black Integra parked up in the hills in an odd place for a car like that.....its just me lol
Bikerman  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 January 2011 3:13:19 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

BTW, engineering is my line of work, I'm still in temp accomodation at the mo, as soon as I'm settled into a place with a good sized garage here, I will get my tools up from Invercagill and be building some Gold gear I've designed.
All portable and 12v powered, And I'm working on a small towable trommel design that is powered by a 10hp engine that would handle 2 or 3 guys shoveling to feed it.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 January 2011 1:29:46 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Look forward to seeing the trommel! Only ones I've seen are the ones in action on various claims over the west coast. Slightly bigger versions though being fed by digger.