New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

goldfinger  
Posted : Thursday, 6 January 2011 1:43:19 PM(UTC)
goldfinger

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi all... heard a rumour that the chinese worked gold in Waikukupa ck between Fox and Franz havent had the chance to check it out could be worth a look
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 6 January 2011 4:29:03 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi fellow forum members.

I am going to say something to make a point, which I feel has to be made for the benefit of a lot of wishful members?

If you want to become a successful fossicker (prospector), “DON’T” just go to a location where you think that you have a good chance of finding Gold, and then spend your time jumping around like a jackrabbit all over the place in the forlorn hope of stubbing your toe on a very nice large chunk of it !!!

It very seldom happens like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Do your research of a place carefully! Choose a location in that place where you think that you may have a good chance of finding “Reasonable” sized gold!
(Anybody can find fine float or flood gold, but its crap stuff to save, and you’ll spend all your time and efforts of hours, or days maybe, for a Bucks worth of gold in saleable condition.)
Go to your location spot, study it and its environmental contours--- I.e. Shapes, Forms, Outcrops, Exposures, Bedrock types, whether there’s bits of quartz rock around etc, or ironstone (iron stained rock), yellowish Sulfur stained rocks, or if you have studied somewhat, those formations that are termed “Gold Country”
( Of course, if you go to where gold has been found in the past, (“Best Bet“) then you will already be in gold country wont you!)

Choose where you will start to look for your gold.
Mark out, or grid mark a small area to search within, (say a square meter). ( Mentally doing this can help if in a creek bed.)

Process the ground within this small area thoroughly!
Digging to bedrock if possible in an Alluvial operation, and cleaning out all the cracks and crevices in this base rock.

If using a metal detector? Cover this little area with close overlapping sweeps, keeping the coil as close as possible to the ground. If you don’t get a signal to spur you on, consider removing the top 10 to 20 centimeters of soil and trying again!

Always remember that Gold always tries to sink down to the center of the earth, so it usually comes to rest at the lowest point within its latest environment whenever it is subjected to transportation by land changing weathering conditions, be this water, wind, or earth movements etc.

In respect of this Phenomenon, if you want to retrieve good gold, you need to dig for it!
If your only prepared to scratch the surface stuff, good gold will elude your efforts every time!!!
This also goes for dredging, you really must suck up the bottom stuff as best you can!

Cheers---Colin.

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 7 January 2011 12:44:31 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi there criticol thats a good post iv checked out lots of spots with a pan and got a small amount of gold then put the dredge in and bingo shure enuf its there rite on the bottum which is very hard to get at with a pan! but i would like to point out ther is a flip side to your theory for example its important to find out which layer the gold is in as even nuggets can be in a flood layer sometimes only a foot or less under the surface so you dig a squear meter hole all the way to bed rock and look at the end result and think hmm not much there....but there mite be a nice layer of gold that youv dug past!
not all flood gold is like flour!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 7 January 2011 12:45:54 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
gingerbreadman wrote:
Hi there criticol thats a good post iv checked out lots of spots with a pan and got a small amount of gold then put the dredge in and bingo shure enuf its there rite on the bottum which is very hard to get at with a pan! but i would like to point out ther is a flip side to your theory for example its important to find out which layer the gold is in as even nuggets can be in a flood layer sometimes only a foot or less under the surface so you dig a squear meter hole all the way to bed rock and look at the end result and think hmm not much there....but there mite be a nice layer of gold that youv dug past!
not all flood gold is like flour!

here is a bit of flood gold nota good pic though.
File Attachment(s):
criticol  
Posted : Friday, 7 January 2011 2:09:27 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi there GBM.
Thanks for your positivity.

I did try to cover some sort of main points within fossicking/prospecting ventures without going into finer details that would have had me writing for “Yonks”. This did not seem necessary for the post to get the general “Gist” ( or Guts ) of the operations across to the members.

Of course flood gold can consist of large hunks that have been moved at a severe flooding time to a new location, and which may not necessarily settle right to the lowest impervious layer of the underlying strata, (I.E. The bedrock, It may take several floods to achieve this scenario.)

Regarding the possibly of gold being deposited in the higher layers of streambed strata within your search area, I did say:
“Process the ground within this small area thoroughly!”

Also in respect of the flood gold that I mentioned, I did say:
“Anybody can find fine float or flood gold“.

Maybe I should have emphasized the “FINE” part of that statement?

Anyway, thanks again for mentioning those points. There are possibly members who will take note of them as they compliment my information’s too!

Cheers--- Colin.
Gold2010  
Posted : Saturday, 8 January 2011 4:05:22 AM(UTC)
Gold2010

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:17:21 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Gold2010, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard. What's the history / story behind the marked area? I'll be heading that way next week so may have a quick stop and peak ;)

Slightly tweaked url so it's in English:
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207225192322856204182.000499488ad59c8502b17&ll=-43.422801,170.101758&spn=0.003974,0.009645&t=h&z=17

Edited by user Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:19:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added tweaked link to show English

Gold2010  
Posted : Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:34:13 AM(UTC)
Gold2010

gavin wrote:
Hi Gold2010, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard. What's the history / story behind the marked area? I'll be heading that way next week so may have a quick stop and peak ;)

Slightly tweaked url so it's in English:
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207225192322856204182.000499488ad59c8502b17&ll=-43.422801,170.101758&spn=0.003974,0.009645&t=h&z=17

No story, just try it. Good luck!
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:39:14 AM(UTC)
gavin

Looks like Goldmines New Zealand Limited have a claim that covers that area that expires 7th Feb this year. Claim number 39337 if anyone wants to look it up on the Crown Minerals Permit Map.

Edited by user Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:39:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 8 January 2011 5:45:36 AM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers - I'll make a quick stop on way past and take a look. Taking some visiting relatives on a road trip next week so will be passing anyway ;)