New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

fiddy40  
Posted : Saturday, 24 November 2012 5:21:53 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Just wondering what other manufactures have counterfeit problems as Minelab! I am a minelab customer by choice and have no idea if counterfeit is as large with others? Regards Pete
expat  
Posted : Saturday, 24 November 2012 7:41:59 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I know that the Garrett pro pointer has been copied by the Chinese and sold to the unwary on ebay, I guess all good models are susceptible to such deceptive practices.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
digger  
Posted : Saturday, 5 January 2013 2:20:42 PM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
I know that the Garrett pro pointer has been copied by the Chinese and sold to the unwary on ebay, I guess all good models are susceptible to such deceptive practices.

I wonder if they have the same performance as the original. I guess it all depends, from where they harpooned the plans, I guess.
I would be happy to walk behind a copy and see what else is out there :).. Just for interest's sake :)

Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 5 January 2013 2:51:40 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Whites have been counterfeited the last couple of years. They now have a nifty online bar code checker which enables a potential buyer to check if its a legit Whites or not before purchasing (works for manufacturing date of October 2011 & onwards). If buying a high end detector from Trademe or Ebay I would ask for the serial number (or bar code for Whites) from the seller and check it out with the manufacturer before bidding on it.

Its not only the risk of it not working as well as a legit detector but also imagine trying to send it back under warranty only to find out its a counterfeit!.

Edited by user Saturday, 5 January 2013 2:53:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

digger  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 12:34:54 AM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Whites have been counterfeited the last couple of years. They now have a nifty online bar code checker which enables a potential buyer to check if its a legit Whites or not before purchasing (works for manufacturing date of October 2011 & onwards). If buying a high end detector from Trademe or Ebay I would ask for the serial number (or bar code for Whites) from the seller and check it out with the manufacturer before bidding on it.

Its not only the risk of it not working as well as a legit detector but also imagine trying to send it back under warranty only to find out its a counterfeit!.

Good point..
I wonder, do they counterfeit the "harder to do" detectors like the V3i with its more complex screen or the Etrax or Ctx, with their complex screens ?
However I could see them, copying the Gpx5000 range as there are no complex display screens and they command a premium price for their high end technology.
Whats more the security sticker on the Gpx need a viewer only, available at the local Minelab dealers, making e-bay purchases a bit of leap of faith. Must make it hard for the manufacturers to keep ahead of then copies.
Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro