New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 13 January 2013 12:06:09 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Warranty for me wasn't worth the shipping so here is my TEMPORARY fix until the switches arrive.
with the momentary switch installed it hasn't falsed at all leading me to believe the switch had a poor connection and with the vibrating basically turning it off and on (just a theory).

The installed momentary switch is supposedly water resistant (I doubt it) and with your finger over it probably wont get too much crap into it but as I said it's only temporary.
I'm happy as I was lost without it.

Stumbled across a youtube video where someone had done almost exactly the same thing, they had just mounted theirs from the outside where as I actually used the mounting nut on the inside so my switch was very solid. Yes you can half push in the factory switch but this momentary switch made it easier and also quick to d-tune. Downside was if you put the pointer down you had to wait for it to turn on again instead of just leaving it on next to the hole.

Edited by user Wednesday, 6 February 2013 1:19:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian attached the following image(s):
propp.jpg
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 January 2013 10:46:00 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi Guys, I now have replacement switches (for the original) so if anyone wants one PM me, I got 30 for something like $7 from overseas so no payment needed.

Edited by user Wednesday, 30 January 2013 10:48:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DrunkBrother  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 January 2013 11:29:33 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I am really interested in the VIDEO of how you replaced it.
Have you made one?
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 January 2013 3:34:39 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi DB
No I didn't I was more interested in getting it fixed to go for a hunt. *8^)
the switch was pretty easy to d-solder (I have a good solder station and solder sucker) just make sure the replacement switch is up the right way or you will reverse the off on positions making on up and down off.
I also d-soldered the 3 wires from the coil took a very small snip off and re soldered them as the joints are fragile and don't like being moved to often.
While I was in there I also replaced the LED with a 5000mcd (I think) which is a good improvement but not huge.

This time I used long nose pliers to move the coil cable out the way as much as I could, took a couple of attempts as the coil cable kept getting in the way of the led but worse was sitting on the vibrator motor which was a little frustrating (should have used the fishing line).

Just slide the board back in slowly make sure it is in the guide slots and the switch is in the on position and push it down a little past the on position with a very small flat head screwdriver(through the switch hole) as you see it hit the body of the pin pointer.

Yeah ok, you're right i should have at least taken some pics, just didn't think of it at the time sorry.
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Thursday, 31 January 2013 7:59:55 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Guardian, How about, i will send you my propointer in mail + some cool things with it for your trouble
You can try repair it, Make a Propper video + picks when doing it and then can post on Youtube & here as a nice instructional video?
If you fail, oh well, doesnt really matter , but if fix - will be awesome to have spare :-)

I use Minelab 25 at the moment and propointer just sits in a box with the parts so no time limits and i think everyone will be really happy to see what you do ?

Let me know :-)
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 1 February 2013 5:13:00 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Help! I need a switch!

My pinpointer was falsing badly so I decided it was time to pull the board out and give it a good clean. The plastic battery carrier seems to be jammed it so the board wouldn't slide out easily.

I had to use a pair of pliers and a LOT of force to get the board to come out and, of course, when it finally let go, it came out fast, ripped the coil wires off the PCB and I heard the tinkle tinkle of switch parts hitting the wall and disappearing behind my huge bookshelf. :(

I'll also need to know which coil wire goes where.

The board is very dusty, and there is some damp soil clumped over the coil wire soler pads so that will explain the constant falsing.

Do you know what the little switch on the board does? Reset?

I read in another forum thread that you can reset the propointer by holding the power button down for 5 seconds, the same as their GTx detectors.

tonznz  
Posted : Friday, 1 February 2013 5:23:41 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
hey if anyone wants my old garret propointer (about a year old) which is in pieces you are welcome to it free if you pay for postage. If you are electronics savy like Max you might be able to fix it up. It needs a new switch and some tender loving care to reassemble it. Just pm me. cheers tony

Anyone know a very good electronics fixer person to fix my minelab sovereign gt? I think the speaker doesn't work and the unit may have shorted out with a water splash. I did have someone in chch fix it once, but I don't have his contact details anymore. He worked from home.
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 1 February 2013 5:53:54 PM(UTC)
oroplata

I'm keen both for the propointer and to repair the Sov, but I'll give Gregg first dibs, since he's down there in Dunedin.

Edited by user Friday, 1 February 2013 7:55:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 2 February 2013 12:02:14 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
I'm keen both for the propointer and to repair the Sov, but I'll give Gregg first dibs, since he's down there in Dunedin.

Greg is going to pick up the propointer tomorrow. Cheers tony
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 February 2013 10:05:54 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Cheers for the Pro Pointer and the tools Tony. Was great to meet you and to see some of your very cool finds!
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 February 2013 12:18:13 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

I needed the specs on the mini vibrating motor and I emailed Garrett and explained to them that warranty was void - they wouldn't give me the specs as it is against Garrett policy (fair enough) BUT they did offer to send me a replacement motor for free even though it was out of warranty. Ok I might have to pay freight as I didn't mention I was from NZ but still I think that is amazing service! I don't know if they would do this for everyone, that is at their discretion of course but I really was impressed with them!

I emailed Garrett after I went to a local electronic component store and asked if they had any mini vibrator motors (probably should have said mini vibrating motor in hindsight but thought he would get the gist), lets just say his mind wasn’t on the same track as mine and left both of us a little red faced, funny now I suppose. *;^)

DB - Whenever works for you, I enjoy things like that and it's really not a hassle.

oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 3:13:09 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Thanks for the switches, Gregg!

I removed the piezo speaker and vibraTING motor off the board and gave it a clean in soapy water in my ultrasonic cleaner to get all the dirt off the board, then reassembled it all with a new switch and it's going as good as new now. No more annoying falsing. Woot!

expat  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 5:32:38 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Going off on a tangent here, but apparently Whites (detector manufacturers) are near to producing a pinpointer that they feel will be up there with the best. They know where they stand (near the bottom) and who the two big market leaders are in this field and are just finalising the plastic casing on their offering which they feel will address the stability issues of the number one, as well as providing good range and new features. So time will tell but I'll be interested to see what they come up with. I love my Garrett but it annoys the pants off me when it starts falsing for no reason.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 6:04:54 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

No worries Oroplata - glad to help.

Maybe there is a turn in the tide coming from what I've seen the Minelab pin pointer is more sensitive to gold and our two Gurus both use them.
Next time around I might give one a shot.

Whites, I guess we will see, can't be worse than a Bounty Hunter *8^)

oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 10:19:40 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
I love my Garrett but it annoys the pants off me when it starts falsing for no reason.

I think the reason for it is the rubber grommet over the power switch. Slowly, but surely, very small particle of dirt make their way past it, and you end up with a very fine coat of dust particles all over the board. Particularly in the area of the coil connections and amplifier circuitry, this causes the falsing to start.

I think it may be possible to prevent/alleviate it by regularly removing the battery, and blasting compressed air past the battery holder.

Once that dust has got damp though, it's gonna stick well and require a dismantle and clean.

I am going to seal the rubber cover over the switch onto the main plastic body with silicon sealant to see if that reduces dust intake.

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 10:20:12 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I too am waiting eagerly for the new Whites pinpointer to be finalised. As a company they don't bring out a new product as often as other companies but when they do it is normally well in advance to the competitors. Their current Bullseye II pinpointer is using technology that is 20 years old so the new one will be worlds above it and I reckon there is a good chance that it will be much better then the Propointer or Profinder. What we don't need is yet another Propointer but Whites would know this and I suspect there will be some innovative features.

Hopefully it will be waterproof out of the box and wirelessly connect to my V3i :)
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 9 February 2013 11:13:20 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Waterproof would be great.

The Minelabs power button is flush and doesn't look like it needs much prompting to turn it on, looks like they have done away with the locking switch like the Garrett and have gone for momentary soft power. I've seen one but didn't actually touch it.

Oroplata is right about crap finding its way in under the power button on the Pro Pointer, just look at Max's switch (or what's left of it). I found some rubber grommets at Para but unfortunately they were to stiff. I was also thinking about silicon sealing the LED from the inside but it will make it tricky if I ever have to take it apart again. While at Para I got a couple of plastic end caps for chairs legs they fit nicely over the tip of the pointer if you take a small notch out where it strikes the scraping blade.

What other features would be good in a pin pointer - Dog and sand-fly repellant - Pepper spray - Taser, maybe we should ask our friend Metal Probe to create one for us. j/k

Does anyone here use a Pistol Probe ?
digger  
Posted : Saturday, 6 April 2013 6:05:46 AM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
Long time guys, hope you are all well.
I'm ordering some of those darn switches as mine has broken more than once. If they work anyone who needs one can drop me a line.
The trick with the switch is to remove the rubber grommet first before removing the board and when sliding the board back push the switch down past the on position with a very small flat bladed screw driver (or whatever). I used a loop of thin fishing line around the coil cable to move it out of the way , just be gentle or you will break the wires from the solder points.

Thanks guys these notes have been a great help, sorry about hearing about the costly breaks. I really appreciate the heads ups.
Seems Garrett make gear that performs well, but just has issues sometimes making the distance. With all the notes and how to's on here I managed to carefully get mine apart.
Yea mine goes off with nothing around I cleaned it's exterior and no joy. So will clean out the inside and if its good then will bike tube it ( thanks Lifejockey ) .
If I get stuck I may send it to one of our members, "Guardian" on here.
My Atpro does the same some times. I used to use it in the rain all the time. So maybe the water proofing on the Atp's should be treated with some caution as well. I have sold that ATp to another member. I wish him luck with it too.
Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 2:01:35 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
I love my Garrett but it annoys the pants off me when it starts falsing for no reason.

I think the reason for it is the rubber grommet over the power switch. Slowly, but surely, very small particle of dirt make their way past it, and you end up with a very fine coat of dust particles all over the board. Particularly in the area of the coil connections and amplifier circuitry, this causes the falsing to start.

I think it may be possible to prevent/alleviate it by regularly removing the battery, and blasting compressed air past the battery holder.

Once that dust has got damp though, it's gonna stick well and require a dismantle and clean.

I am going to seal the rubber cover over the switch onto the main plastic body with silicon sealant to see if that reduces dust intake.

throw a bit over your speaker too & the PP should almost be waterproof - even an 'O' ring on the battery cover as well - reverse the colors to be all yellow with black writing - then you got's a Garrett Pro Pointer Aqua lol

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 8:50:11 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post

throw a bit over your speaker too & the PP should almost be waterproof - even an 'O' ring on the battery cover as well - reverse the colors to be all yellow with black writing - then you got's a Garrett Pro Pointer Aqua lol

To waterproof the Pro-pointer you will need sealant under the rubber grommet, over the Led light, over the speaker hole and plumbers tape on the battery cover thread. Just make sure its completely dried out before sealing up.

UserPostedImage
2 Pages<12