New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 11:03:04 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Just a lesson for everyone, i think.
Try not to get it wet, spend some time and even replace and seal the button
Regardless that it is 100% must have product - the design of the button is Crap.
so here are the picture of my broken one (i snapped switch on button as well) but the issue is that it is completely wet and partially corroded inside. The coil part is glued so can not take it out.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Also, once you disassemble it for 1st time, you will have trouble with coil wire as it is positioned in U shape inside and when you take the program board out you straight it and will be unable to put back in U shape.
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 11:50:49 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Yeah. The trick with the button is you need to have it down (switched on) before you pull the board out.

The button should go back together (mine did), and give the board a quick clean with our old favourite - cloudy ammonia - and see if that does the trick.

lifejockey  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 3:18:18 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Keep it clean and dry from day one with a bicycle tube over it... from the switch to the battery cover..

lifejockey attached the following image(s):
protectpointer.jpg
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 5:11:55 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Some awesome tips! Especially like the inner tube suggestion! Cheers guys :)
number8wire  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 5:20:39 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Some awesome tips! Especially like the inner tube suggestion! Cheers guys :)

Brilliantly simple idea......I'm onto it now!
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 5:55:07 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Newsflash
Increase in bicycle thefts around christchurch
Police find bikes with tubes missing.
:-)

MK

lifejockey  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 6:58:55 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Well seeing I'm in the mood for tips... Here's my best one... Truly.. you will wonder how you did without it :)

Note the headphone cord going through the ring as well.

lifejockey attached the following image(s):
clip.jpg
bungee.jpg
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 7:44:38 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
has anyone else had trouble with their propointer making beeps randomly even without there being metal around? mine is still under a year old...
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 8:12:55 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goldnut Go to Quoted Post
has anyone else had trouble with their propointer making beeps randomly even without there being metal around? mine is still under a year old...

That is exactly what Andrew's and mine were doing - that is when they are wet/corroded inside with sand and other crap there,

DO NOT OPEN your one. just send to Garret under warranty
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 8:13:48 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)

First thing to try is changing the battery as it sometimes happens when the battery is getting low. If it still does it then unscrew the top, remove the battery and leave it in the sun or somewhere warm for a day as moisture could also be the cause. Finally if these things don't work then send it back to Garrett it will take about a month to get there, be fixed and returned.

Oh and make sure you aren't wearing a ring on the hand holding it...... :)
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 8:24:07 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
When it happened to mine I sent it to Garrett and it came back with the record that they had "fixed a short" but I knew it was moisture that caused the damage as the problem repeated after a while and drying it out fixed it. Afterwards I used silicone to waterproof any possible area (speaker, under the switch rubber and around the light) and used plumbing tape on the battery screw top & haven't had a problem since. The bike tube is a good idea but personally I would spot some silicone over the light as well.

This post on my blog describes how I did it: http://islanddetecting.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/waterproof-pro-pointer.html

Edited by user Wednesday, 5 December 2012 8:30:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

expat  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 8:43:13 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)

I had this problem a lot recently, even with new batteries. Non stop bleeping, erratic behaviour etc. On another US detecting forum a couple of suggestions were made that have worked for others. I tried them and hey presto, good as new. Worked for me. Firstly I was advised to clean it thoroughly as mineralised soils clinging to it can cause it to sound off apparently and secondly the sponge pad that sits inside the screw on battery cover can lose its sponginess and fail to press the battery down hard enough, causing a bad contact and erratic behaviour. If the battery rattles.....bad news. I was advised to fold some tissue inside the cap, enough to wedge the battery home tighter. (Apparently, Garret have identified this as a problem and adapted the latest ones accordingly) Anyhow, mine is fine now.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
tonznz  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 9:29:11 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Just a lesson for everyone, i think. Try not to get it wet, spend some time and even replace and seal the button. Regardless that it is 100% must have product - the design of the button is Crap.
so here are the picture of my broken one (i snapped switch on button as well) but the issue is that it is completely wet and partially corroded inside. The coil part is glued so can not take it out. Also, once you disassemble it for 1st time, you will have trouble with coil wire as it is positioned in U shape inside and when you take the program board out you straight it and will be unable to put back in U shape.

I did exactly the same thing. Mine two is in pieces. The wire does stretch out then is difficult to reinstate as you said, then the switch broke off as I pushed the board back in. (switch not being down I guess)

I tried to tackle it myself when the vibration stopped completely then the sound went real quiet. I could see parts of the board with moisture damage when I took the rubber switch cover off. I wanted to take the board out and clean off the light rust spots. bad idea. lesson learnt, (maybe)

I think I have had good money's worth out of it though and worn the thing out. Several months of daily use and very often in wet conditions over the winter.

Its a tool I feel I can't do without though as it cuts down the time it takes to find the item by heaps.

Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2012 9:31:19 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
mine only does it occasionally and most of the time if I turn it off and then back on it fixes it for a little while... I will try to dry it out and then seal it properly... maybe that will work. lol

and no I am not wearing a ring... ;)
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 December 2012 11:14:51 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)

I have absolutely no idea of what I am talking about here but not to worry - last 'summer' during a flash flood my son saw an electric cord bobbing down the stream toward him and when he reached out and grabbed it my good Minelab detector was on the end of it - completely submerged and washed fifty or so metres down the creek.

We took it back to the hut and when I opened it up In oted that the entire circuit board was completely encased in a plastic like material and thus completely 100% waterproof I suppose - in any case after drying the detector out it is as good as gold.

I have noted that the stuff the circuitry is covered in is similar to a rubbery/plastic like material that can be obtained commercially to put on plier handles etc and after reading the above contributions am wondering if it could be purchased and used to put a completely waterproof coating over the entire circuit board of the pro pointer...just a thought.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 13 December 2012 12:03:02 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Good idea Lammerlaw - not sure if the speaker would give good sound though? One way to find out...

I had the misfortune of dropping my Garret Pro Pointer in a creek last weekend. Fully submerged, but I yanked it out within seconds. Luckily it still seems to be working without issue - phew!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 13 December 2012 12:15:12 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Good idea Lammerlaw - not sure if the speaker would give good sound though? One way to find out...

I had the misfortune of dropping my Garret Pro Pointer in a creek last weekend. Fully submerged, but I yanked it out within seconds. Luckily it still seems to be working without issue - phew!

Just the circuit board and maybe the switch but not the speaker. Water wont affect it to the degree that it affects circuit boards...I learnt that with my old Garrett Deepseeker when the speaker got properly wet on a couple of occasions but dried out as good as gold.

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 14 December 2012 7:40:20 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Graeme, Damn lucky there mate. Not sure how many detectors could go through that & survive. Good on Minelab for having the nouse to do that. Saved your detector from certain death that is for sure.
I dont recall my 3000 having that on the circuitry when I pulled it apart to do the fixed/tracking push button mod on to the handle grip. MMMMmmm.....Lucky for you though :)

Good luck out there

JW :)
DiggerDog  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 6:19:06 PM(UTC)
DiggerDog

Canada

Great tips for sure! Myself i have to have this Propointer on my hip all the time.My old one ,i wish i had taken a picture ,because the end was so worn down from sharp bedrock fragments it was almost comical to see it up against a new one.Have never had issue with water damage,just worn out!.You guys know about the nickel trick to make it sense deeper,sure you all know this trick.Best Regards/DiggerDog (Alberta Canada)
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 January 2013 9:19:18 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Long time guys, hope you are all well.
I'm ordering some of those darn switches as mine has broken more than once. If they work anyone who needs one can drop me a line.
The trick with the switch is to remove the rubber grommet first before removing the board and when sliding the board back push the switch down past the on position with a very small flat bladed screw driver (or whatever). I used a loop of thin fishing line around the coil cable to move it out of the way , just be gentle or you will break the wires from the solder points.
2 Pages12>