New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 15 April 2010 9:29:43 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Guys, Here is a portable highbanker/banjo I made out of my first ever sluice box that I made & used. Here is a pic of the sluice box in action quite a few years ago. Made straight out of the book "Gold In Your Bottle"

UserPostedImage

I cut the box in half width ways to give me the top hopper & bottom sluice box. Here is the box just prior to getting the chop with a set of riffles that I made & welded up for the set up.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Bottom slick plate & chute added to the top hopper & propped up in it general configuration over the bottom box.

UserPostedImage

Classifyer screen, pressure pipework & adjustable legs attached

UserPostedImage

Riffles in

UserPostedImage

Motor/pump, hose, fits nicely in the hopper for transporting

UserPostedImage

Set up & in business

UserPostedImage

Shoveling in material to the hopper & the spray jets doing the work of breaking up the material & washing it through the classifyer screen to the bottom sluice. The biger material falls out the front. The top hopper angle is adjustable depending on what type of material you are processing. If it is clay then you need the hopper pretty flat so the water jets can really nail it & break it up. Or for stony rocky material, steeper so the bigger stuff can fall out the front

UserPostedImage

Bottom box & riffles doing there work.

UserPostedImage

Fine gold recovered from a Coromandel river after half an hour of shoveling into it on its maiden run.

UserPostedImage

The bonus of these are that you can set them up away from water, like on a higher river terrace , & pump water to it & work material that is a distance away from water. Or you can set it up right by the water. Runs on very low revs of the motor/pump so a tank of gas lasts for ages.

I have adapted my one so it can also take a 2" suction suction nozzle for cleaning out bed rock cracks & crevices. It runs a lot more aggresive with the larger amount of water going down it that is needed for the pressure to run the nozzle than when just shoveling in to it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Result from this little area was just over half an ounce for a couple of hours work.

UserPostedImage

Happy golding

JW :)

overdog  
Posted : Thursday, 15 April 2010 5:29:58 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
That is 1 seriously well designed unit!Spray jets are a brilliant idea.Oh and stoked you got all your gear back,but not before you went out and got another set of everything! If you want to get shut of a crevice sucker thats surplus to requirements PM me.
A.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 16 April 2010 1:17:46 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
A very clever piece of fabrication. I would not have a clue whn it comes to building things. Looked at heaps of crevice sucker plans on line especially Youtube but I don't have the technical knowledge. Hell, I wouldn't even know which end of the screw to hold on to before I hammered it in with my saw.
Motorised stuff is good in your own claim but you can't use it in any of the public fossicking areas. You must admit though, we do live in a lovely country where we can be in the middle of a city one minute then inside a couple of hours or less, we can be down the riverside in a nice little patch of paradise
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 16 April 2010 7:23:20 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, kiwisouth......you made me laugh.....with your lack of fabrication skills & the way you said it....good one. I am a builder by trade so knocking things up comes pretty naturaly. Welding took a bit of sussing though.
You are right about claims & no motor/pumps in recreational areas. If you do & you are caught then you will take the rap & pay the price. I always keep up to play with claims, as much as I can any way. The crown minerals permit map, that I think the link has been put up on here for, is what I go on. It needs to be looked at very often as gold is in vouge at the moment & lot of changes are taking place quickly with claims. There are still lots of places you can go but just be curtious with land owners, leave places as you found them, & keep out of the public eye if you dont want any unwanted attention. Common sense stuff.
As to the "suplus" crevice sucker, because I found my other one, it is on its way to Canada. So sorry about that. I will sell you one though. LOL :)
I am off to Queenstown for the winter, BBBBBrrrrr Not much work happening up here & a phone call to QT had me some work. Not that keen on building down there over winter...but you got to do what you got to do & there will be all that Central Otago gold all around me. Dont you hate that.....So if you want any gear let me know before I leave & I may be able to drop it off on the way down depending where you are. I will be going down the east coast through Christchurch, hopefully staying a night with Gavin to catch up & on through central lakes & some detecting around Bendigo B4 hitting QT.
Looks like I will have to take my mig welder with me so I can keep producing sluice box's

Happy hunting

JW
only1gold  
Posted : Saturday, 23 July 2011 8:45:58 AM(UTC)
only1gold

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just came across this while browsing. Wow it looks good.
High quality build there JW.
Do you happen to have any claims? Oh, and do you sell your gold or keep it?
O1G