New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 21 January 2011 8:09:34 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Can anyone shed some light on this? http://www.crownminerals...nerals/s_dredge.pdf/view I came across this on the Crown Minerals site. Does it mean that the Minister has the power to declare an area as a dredging area and anyone can apply for a permit to dredge there? (Has this ever been done?) If it does, then we dont need a change to the Mining act. Only for some presure to be applied for the Minister to declare some suitable areas as dredging areas.

Also found this here.
http://www.crownminerals.../MPM-Revised%20draft.pdf Under Definitions;

"hobby or recreation operations means for small scale suction dredging operations where the suction dredge has a engine rating no higher than 5 horse power, and for beach sand mining operations that are limited to hand tools and riffle box"

However I couldn't find any other reference to it in the rest of the document.

Edited by user Friday, 21 January 2011 8:20:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Karl McDowell  
Posted : Friday, 21 January 2011 1:19:27 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Wow very interesting but I wouldn't get my hopes up as a search through the Crown Minerals Act didn't find any reference to suction dredging.

I suspect the application form you found may relate to an earlier provision or interpretation of the CMA, and as such would no longer be relevant. It would certainly seem to run counter to the exclusive allocation aka first in best dressed model that is used to allocate permits.

Unfortunately the websites of governmental agencies are often maintained by IT folk with limited knowledge of the subject material and as such dated material is quite commonplace. Still; and taking the glass half full tack, it would be worth testing the theory by asking someone at Crown Minerals whether it still applies...
Bikerman  
Posted : Saturday, 22 January 2011 1:38:12 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Appearently DOC use the 5hp rule around here I've heard
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Saturday, 22 January 2011 2:25:54 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I'd be inclined to test that theory very carefully with the local DOC office before taking my dredge out.

I can recall several instances in the recent past where DOC have confiscated equipment because people were operating illegally. There was one case near Nelson just before Xmas.

From my own dealings with DOC re access for fossicking my understanding is that the only areas where anyone can 'mine' on DOC land without a specific licence/concession are designated fossicking areas where mechanised equipment is not allowed anyway.
Bikerman  
Posted : Saturday, 22 January 2011 2:35:42 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just going by what I've been told by a couple of locals, was also told that a few guys were taking the 10hp stickers off motors and replacing them with 5hp stickers, and that DOC were onto it pretty smartly...and have in fact taken equipment ....
Dreamer  
Posted : Sunday, 23 January 2011 1:49:25 AM(UTC)
Dreamer

Flintlock wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on this? http://www.crownminerals...nerals/s_dredge.pdf/view I came across this on the Crown Minerals site. Does it mean that the Minister has the power to declare an area as a dredging area and anyone can apply for a permit to dredge there? (Has this ever been done?) If it does, then we dont need a change to the Mining act. Only for some presure to be applied for the Minister to declare some suitable areas as dredging areas.

Also found this here.
http://www.crownminerals.../MPM-Revised%20draft.pdf Under Definitions;

"hobby or recreation operations means for small scale suction dredging operations where the suction dredge has a engine rating no higher than 5 horse power, and for beach sand mining operations that are limited to hand tools and riffle box"

However I couldn't find any other reference to it in the rest of the document.

Hi Guys,
I am a Newbie here but have been scratching and dredging for over 30 years. I recently found this forum and have enjoyed reading all the posts and also learnt a bit as well.

I have a foot in both camps being a hobbyist and also an official 'explorer/miner'. I'll come back to that in further posts.

Meantime, the current Minerals Laws are under review, part of which was the fuss raised when Mr Brownlee suggested we might look at mining Great Barrier & the Coromandel. The intitial review was undertaken after this furore (last August)and submissions were called for from everyone, including small activity people. The next part is that there will be a further round of Cardycat talks in April and possibly more submissions requested then.

The Govts current discussion paper includes a section where the Minister can either approve lesser regulations for small hobby operators,and exclude areas from large applicants so they dont tie everything up. We have to hope that this format stays. Trouble is; I cant see DOC and the Iwis relinquishing their powers of denial.

Just Google "Reviewing the Crown Minerals Act" and you'll find the paper.
Cheers
Flintlock  
Posted : Sunday, 23 January 2011 10:01:29 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
[

I have a foot in both camps being a hobbyist and also an official 'explorer/miner'. I'll come back to that in further posts.

Hi Dreamer

Would be interested to hear more about this!!!

Flintlock