New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavzilla  
Posted : Saturday, 5 January 2013 7:12:34 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Any body been up to the 12 mile lately? I went up there today for the first time in 8 months or so - some bloody cu*t has dredged out nearly the entire length of the public fossicking area! I walked the creek right up to the bridge near Maori gully and it's been worked nearly all the way up, the only bit remaining is near the car park possibly 100 meters or so. Wankers....

Rant over

Did manage to find a bit that they had missed though...
gogold  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 2:48:31 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
how do you know its been dredged out? been quite a bit of rain lately woulda wash away any evidence of dredging
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 4:59:09 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i go up there a fair bit so i hope you're not directing such bad language in my direction.

many of us have nowhere to go but public areas if we want to use a sluice box or similar hand tools.

i think if you ask about you will find that that creek has been sniped by guys with wetsuits, going from crevice to crevice.

such is permitted in this area. the tailings from the terraces that still clog the creek bed have been disturbed that way.

the second reason the creek is full of debris is there have been several rockfalls into the creek. the area has experienced some huge winds in the last couple of years. this has dislodged big trees that have taken a lot of soil and rock into the creek. one of these slips has just recently been fixed where the track up was completely gone. DOC have had a contractor blasting a lot of rock to build a wider loop track which saw more rock block the stream. now there has been loads of rain i'd say that the bigger water flows have most likely broken through any new obstructions.

i've only once seen a dredge in the creek. some bugger was under the highway bridge at the crack of dawn on a sunday.

i'd say it was probably common practice up there in quieter times.

you wouldn't get away with much nowadays there as the track is built to a higher standard now and sees loads of walkers from the campground across the road, as well as many guided walkers.

a couple of local guys have a claim upstream now also. they will dredge that but sure glad i'm not involved in hauling all the gear needed up that creek. there would have to easier vehicle accessed locations.

gavzilla  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 5:58:51 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Just looks to clean for sniping only, piles of fresh rock if you follow the river instead of the path, all the crevices are shiny clean, plus nice stacks of tailings make it seem like its dredge to me...

How the claim owners get the claim without a access able road to the claim? Is that not part and parcel with ownership? Helicopter is a bit expensive I would imagine?
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 6:48:20 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

there's a load of issues involving many government departments. i believe the permit gives you the right to mine. then doc need an access agreement. that means money. and liability insurance etc etc. just because the tracks there you can't just freely walk your gear up it without paying doc first. unfortunately. you could do it but you would get caught out eventually in such a spot i reckon.

as for the rocks, some of those must have been restacked many times over. every time it floods it all slides back in.

i'm not sure if you would find it as bad the further up the gorge you go. it's further from the road, plus its too rough for most and too far to carry heavy gear. hence the sniping technique used.

i think you will find the evidence of working has been building up over quite a few years. i think if they didn't stack the rocks to the side you wouldn't have a chance of getting to the bottom. if you look at the early miners massive rock walls up there in a few spots you can see where snipers have tried to dig down alongside the rocks. bloody deep stuff.

they did wash down a good sized hill up near the hut. all that plus some went down the creekbed. the 12 mile delta camp ground is built on the alluvial fan of those tailings. all the fines washed out there and the bigger rocks were stacked as they didn't travel too well downstream because of there weight.

if you look for an old map from the early days you will see the delta was actually a bay. amazing what the harnessing of water can achieve.

how far up did you go? the base of the big bouldery waterfall section?

i've been hanging out to get up there but there's been a laod of water flowing most of summer so far. the massive rains the other day probably have prolonged the situation.

i did a stint there in winter when the water was really low but it wasn't so good for the health in a damp dark rocky gorge. there weren't as many sandflies then though so one bonus!
gavzilla  
Posted : Sunday, 6 January 2013 7:16:14 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

You could be right then with the sniping? If that's the case then those fellas are dead keen!

Dug a big hole behind the huge boulder and found a few specks, funnily enough just as you walk up the path towards the bridge there's a tiny creek that flows under the path, as we walked up the small creek a bit it became gorgy and there was good colour about half meter deep!
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 6:44:53 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

was too hot here again so headed out to the creek. al i got was fly shit but at least is was a lot cooler there. so much tailings.

was a great day out until 2 big w**k tanks full of foreigners turned up. saw them all coming. was like a couple of dozen of them all young guys. decided to nearly stand on top of me. never come across such a bunch of arrogant w****kers to tell the truth. didn't get a word from any of the pr**ks. no hello, nothing, just vacant stares. perhaps they were from israel or somewhere like that. they sure had some flash camera gear. a vastly different scenario from all the nice folk you usually come across and end up chatting away the day with.

i don't think these ones even knew what i was doing. maybe they thought i was mental or something. perhaps i was as the sandflies were starting dinner and seemed to be worked up with the heat. bloody insect spray didn't even work. time to switch back to the bushmans brand. that stuff sticks like noting and hardly comes off in a hot shower. don't want to think what the DEET in it does to you after using is in vast quantities daily.
gavzilla  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 7:05:48 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

It was hot today for sure, to hot to be digging, those snipers have the right idea for this weather. I meet an old boy dredging up the arrow the other day and he swore by mouthwash as the ultimate sandfly deterant, alcohol based? Going to give it a go maybe mixed with a splash of tea tree. The bushman is great for mozzies but sandies build a fast tolerance hey...

Same old fella told me that the original miners used to drink metholated spirits and the such, and next day would sweat it out? I wonder what the life expectancy used to be?
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 7:44:04 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavzilla Go to Quoted Post

Same old fella told me that the original miners used to drink metholated spirits and the such, and next day would sweat it out? I wonder what the life expectancy used to be?

In Mexico, in the coastal areas, they swore black & blue that drinking copious quantities of tequila would keep the mozzies at bay.

simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 9:02:27 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

think they just got sodrunk they couldn't see or feel the mozzies anymore!

i know one thing. bananas do not deter sandflies. perhaps the opposite as it seems to bring them in. esp the skins left lying about when still fresh. another old wives tale.
lakeman  
Posted : Monday, 7 July 2014 12:13:30 AM(UTC)
lakeman

New Zealand

Hi all,
I am new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone knows the owners of the claim on this river and how to contact them.
I am planning to hike up to lake Isabel more for the scenery than anything else and contemplating on bringing my metal detector with me just in case I fill lucky.
Also if anyone has any comments or thoughts about this I would much appreciate it.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 July 2014 1:25:35 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

I know the guys with the claim.
If you're going up to lake isobel you wouldn't go via the creek. there is a track hunters use that follows the ridge line after the side creek, maori gully. pretty steep stuff.
You could try simply following the creek from the hut but you can't get far at all. steep and bouldery and slippery bush.
It would be a pretty time of year up there but sure to be some snow and plenty of ice. Prob somewhere you would want to wait tip summer for, unless you are hunting. there is a block there for hunting. never heard of anyone having luck there. most guys i've met while walking out there end up getting lost of bluffed. last guy i heard of trying to get up there dropped his gps in the creek trying to cross it.
gavzilla  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 July 2014 8:01:44 AM(UTC)
gavzilla

Simons right about it being a hard walk, make sure you wear bright colours as it's one of the most poached areas by hunters.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 July 2014 9:37:42 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Does anyone ever shoot anything and bring it out? never seen anything. and only heard of hard luck stories. Most guys just seem to be out for an adventure and many seem unfamiliar with the area thus the getting lost part. Why you would poach up there i don't know as theres only one way out and thats past all the walkers on the track right? i understand its pretty simple to get a permit to hunt there too.
gavzilla  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 July 2014 11:18:20 AM(UTC)
gavzilla

Doc only allow 4 guns max in there at a time, so people just waddle in up Jessie's peak way. You can get into Maori gully from the back of closeburn it's way easier and avoids all the bush, most hunters go in that way or further found rat point. There's heaps of deer at the top and chamois. My neighbor shot 3 hinds and I got a trophy head stag from there a few months back. There's heaps of nice spots to stop and have a pan too, we found colour right up the top of Maori gully, so will defo get back in there when the snow recedes a bit more. But like you say it's easy to get lost if your not local and know the landmarks.