New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 January 2013 2:27:57 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Poohbear and I were gold hunting in Central Otago last week. We did some panning, but I wanted to give my F75 a go. Fisher claims they are a good gold detector but when I have air tested mine with a 5" coil against gold specific machines (Fishers and Whites) it did not do as well with the small stuff. So I was not overly optimistic, but as it turned out I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did I find some little bits of gold, I was also picking up lead shot in shallow crevices. Thought that was pretty good for a general purpose detector. I learned quite a bit and had a lot of fun, might have to give it another try.
rgmcbrid attached the following image(s):
nuggets.jpg
shot.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 January 2013 2:51:24 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Awesome results! So did you have any issue with hot rocks etc. out of curiosity?
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 January 2013 3:02:44 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
I beleave he was able to pick out the hot rocks from the gold as the hot rocks gave off a diff sort of noise.

pic looks good bud...im going to try the F2 next time instead of panning....i want some nuggets to..lol

Edited by user Tuesday, 8 January 2013 3:14:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 January 2013 3:09:53 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Not really too much issue with hot rocks; there were some but they made a different noise. The hot rocks give a longer tone for a given swing speed and the gold and lead a shorter 'zip.' I did get fooled now and then but not enough to irritate me. I played with the ground balance a bit but it seemed to work best when it was set dead on.

I was having trouble with iron (bits of wire etc) at first because all the tiny targets give low numbers. What I figured out was that although the readout was low the audio varied with target size. That is a strong audio with a low number was a piece of iron; a weak audio with a low number was something small and there was a good chance it might be gold. Big readings with a strong audio were usually bullets, but I am sure that is what big nuggets would be like had I found any.