New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

coinnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 January 2013 7:13:43 PM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Thinking about getting a bug, can you change coils on the DP model? Or is it better to get the standard bug with 5" & buy a 11" coil seperate.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
lifejockey  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 January 2013 9:36:40 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Yep the only diff is the coil it comes with... I have three for mine. The 10"x 5" DD eliptical is the one I use the most... 99% of the time.

Mike
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 January 2013 10:28:59 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
To be clear, the Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug DP are exactly the same except the Pro comes with a 5" coil and the DP an 11" coil. The regular Gold Bug is the same as the other two but is operating on older software version. The regular Gold Bug comes with a 5" coil like the Pro but it costs less. The 5" 10" and 11" coils are all interchangeable.
coinnut  
Posted : Thursday, 10 January 2013 12:09:38 AM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: lifejockey Go to Quoted Post
Yep the only diff is the coil it comes with... I have three for mine. The 10"x 5" DD eliptical is the one I use the most... 99% of the time.

Mike

Do you ever use the 10" looking for gold up in them there hills? Thinking bout getting out there & like the idea of a duel purpose machine
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 10 January 2013 9:17:54 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
coinnut i was the same as lifejockey when i had my goldbug i had all three coils and the 10" is the one i used all the time once i got it...however up in the gold fields i think it would depend on the terrain you are in as to weather you would use the 10 ir the 5...the 5 will get into tighter spots like crevases and what not...

like for instance if you look at roberts post F75 gold...that was found with 5 inch on the F75...the places we were hunting with that you wouldnt get the 10 into those crevess..but you would get the deeper signals from above the crevess so as long as you had a picker of some sort to scrap it out the 10 would be fine and is a great coil..it also picks between 2 targets that are close together real well,that is why i used it more than the 11DD..

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
coinnut  
Posted : Thursday, 10 January 2013 6:00:30 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
coinnut i was the same as lifejockey when i had my goldbug i had all three coils and the 10" is the one i used all the time once i got it...however up in the gold fields i think it would depend on the terrain you are in as to weather you would use the 10 ir the 5...the 5 will get into tighter spots like crevases and what not...

like for instance if you look at roberts post F75 gold...that was found with 5 inch on the F75...the places we were hunting with that you wouldnt get the 10 into those crevess..but you would get the deeper signals from above the crevess so as long as you had a picker of some sort to scrap it out the 10 would be fine and is a great coil..it also picks between 2 targets that are close together real well,that is why i used it more than the 11DD..

Do you have any in stock? Might have to come round for a chat.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 10 January 2013 11:07:40 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yup i do ..come on around.
lifejockey  
Posted : Saturday, 12 January 2013 4:20:17 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

One tip IF you do get the 10x5 coil..... Keep the sensitivity low in areas of cut grass. They tend to be the trashy areas and also deep targets are mostly junk. It's the recently dropped items you want = shallow. The lower sensitivity helps hugely with separation of targets and reduces those tiny bits of mower cut pieces of aluminium. It seems to reduce the numbers jumping about as well. Also you don't want to be digging deep holes in manicured lawns/parks.

When I go somewhere like that I set the sensitivity to 1 .. yes, one. It gives a good signal down to about three inches and its just a matter of using a screwdriver or similar to retrieve the target.... No mess No damage. I set the tone break point at 35 and retrieve all the high tones. If you have a Garrett pro pointer then if you cant get a response from it over the target then don't dig.... I use a thimble inside a glove to boost the pro pointer depth.

In dry sand at the beach I go "all metal", full sensitivity and scoop every signal.

Follow that advice and you will get no complaints and loads of treasure :)

I got a 4.8 gram gold nugget and a nice sterling silver and gold ring using that method in manicured parks last year.

The 5" coil is used for poking about in tight places around bushes, posts, rocks etc so deeper holes are generally ok there.
The 11" coil is basically too much trouble.... heavier, not much deeper, more susceptible to interference and ugly :)

Mike
coinnut  
Posted : Saturday, 12 January 2013 11:02:15 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: lifejockey Go to Quoted Post
One tip IF you do get the 10x5 coil..... Keep the sensitivity low in areas of cut grass. They tend to be the trashy areas and also deep targets are mostly junk. It's the recently dropped items you want = shallow. The lower sensitivity helps hugely with separation of targets and reduces those tiny bits of mower cut pieces of aluminium. It seems to reduce the numbers jumping about as well. Also you don't want to be digging deep holes in manicured lawns/parks.

When I go somewhere like that I set the sensitivity to 1 .. yes, one. It gives a good signal down to about three inches and its just a matter of using a screwdriver or similar to retrieve the target.... No mess No damage. I set the tone break point at 35 and retrieve all the high tones. If you have a Garrett pro pointer then if you cant get a response from it over the target then don't dig.... I use a thimble inside a glove to boost the pro pointer depth.

In dry sand at the beach I go "all metal", full sensitivity and scoop every signal.

Follow that advice and you will get no complaints and loads of treasure :)

I got a 4.8 gram gold nugget and a nice sterling silver and gold ring using that method in manicured parks last year.

The 5" coil is used for poking about in tight places around bushes, posts, rocks etc so deeper holes are generally ok there.
The 11" coil is basically too much trouble.... heavier, not much deeper, more susceptible to interference and ugly :)

Mike

Thanks for that lifejockey, It's awesome to learn how other people do things so you can apply the bits you like to your own method. I've met up with Mr P Bear and had a good chat about the bug.......can't wait to get one actually!!!! Think I might go for the 10" as well, sounds like a wicked all round machine.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
lifejockey  
Posted : Saturday, 12 January 2013 11:41:56 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: coinnut Go to Quoted Post

It's awesome to learn how other people do things so you can apply the bits you like to your own method.

Exactly... There are many different techniques and methods with different people championing different detectors and stuff. Just try everything that seems sensible and see what works for you and your detector. Hopefully you will avoid detector envy and learn to use what you have/can afford to reap a good harvest. The gold bug finds gold.... enough said :)

Mike
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 13 January 2013 12:01:12 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

The goldbug finds GOLD..and then some..lol..as for the 10 inch coil like lifejockey said try your own methods while using tips from other....I personally never turned the sensativity down on the bug unless in a very very trashy area.. and found heaps with it that way...but i am going to try life jockeys way as well but i dont like missing the deep targets..even in cut grass i have found some decent silver rings very deep with it....hahaha..

all in all use your own jugment of the area you are hunting as to how you set sensativity, discrimination and the like...weather it be long grass,short grass or inbetween some areas are more trashy than ohters and you hunt accordingly....