New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 3:26:20 PM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi forum.

RE: Coromandels Gold.

Coromandel in the beginning was always classed as a poor mans field--- meaning that there was supposed to be easy gold to be got with Pan and sluice box. This scenario soon changed to “NOT”, because without lots of perseverance, and loads of jolly hard work digging many meters into the creek beds to uncover the gold lying on the bottom bedrock which was where much of the eroded reef gold had supposedly settled in these short sharp mountainous streams behind the bars and barriers in its passage of travel. They soon became very disillusioned with the very low returns that were made by them, sometimes not even getting enough to survive on.

The old miners tried this method many times. only to have their endeavors shattered by the many frequently violent and sharp short storms which seem to characterize this area of uplifted mountains, not that there was not a lot of water coming down all the time, but that at times there was too much! Which wrecked their gears, flumes and all that strenuous work that they had put in, and washed it all away. They had to start over again, and most could not afford the cost. How heartbreaking for them.

Luckily, some miners had discovered the odd gold bearing stone reef and formed small-amalgamated companies between themselves to work them, and for these ventures, most of them needed staff to do the donkeywork, and this fact provided those broken delusional early alluvial miners with a chance to revert to wages work to make ends meet.
From that, time onwards all thoughts of getting any easy steam gold was forgotten and quartz mining led this field into the future.

After these early attempts at alluvial mining failed, Coromadel became know as a quartz reefing mining field from which many fabulous returns, and money were made for some of the companies, and it basically remains in this status today.

There is alluvial gold to be got from the Coromandels Rivers and streams but finding it in its small quantities, takes loads of research and many hours out in the field sussing it out.
Even then, luck has to be on your side, or shoulder? And maybe six “Hail Mary’s”

Cheers---Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 4:13:42 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Forum.

As an addendum to my earlier post, Karaka Stream in Thames itself is a case in point.

This was one of the first main creeks that was tried for alluvial Gold by the early miners in Thames, and it turned out most disappointing for them. Not that the odd pan or sluice load didn’t show good color occasionally, it was not consistent enough to rely on to provide a man with the means of a livable wage, unless countless hours and effort was sunk into the claims.

From memory I am sure I read that one group spent months attempting to sink a shaft down through all the stream overburden, obtaining a depth of 30 meters, and still didn’t reach bedrock, before they gave up and abandoned it, (Wouldn’t you??
Many others sunk many smaller shafts of up to 10 meters in various creeks with similar outcomes. In these lower creek reaches any gold on the bedrock remained unrecoverable by the old methods, and the powers that be would never allow a concentrated large dredging effort by the large rip, shit, or bust earthmovers and diggers which we process today too even attempt to recover this “Might just be there? Gold.

So if the bedrock of these streams does contain gold in good payable quantities,then it’s a sure bet that it looks like its set to stay down there!

Mind you, there was a creek in Coromandel itself that produced a few good nuggets in its day,

Cheers---Colin.

Edited by user Thursday, 3 February 2011 2:47:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 4:23:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:49:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 4:45:35 PM(UTC)
criticol

Thanks John!

Yeah, a good flood when you've done a lot of preparation work in cleaning down to what you think may be a good spot, can be really dishearting can't it. :)

================================================

Hi Forum.

Continuing on.

Just before you reach Coromandel Township by traveling up the Western side of the Peninsular from Thames there a few good creeks that yielded a lot of good alluvial gold in the old days!
In some of the small creeks that frequent this area the old boys gathered a heck of a lot of good Alluvial gold which had been shed from rich gold bearing reefs that ran right across these creeks, and which, in the course of being eroded by the water and all the debris,this gold was delivered directly into these creeks beds.
In those days it was easily recovered by the old boys due to the creeks being shallow and easily worked.
Now from memory again! The place to look for a lot of this gold was in a “REDDISH" sort of conglomerate rock that appeared in these creek beds as scattered deposits.

You could try there, as you never know your luck.

Cheers---Colin.

Edited by user Thursday, 3 February 2011 2:52:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 4:57:12 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thanks for the very informative post criticol,cant wait for the next instalment.
By the sounds of things you could be writing a new book about coromandel gold,and i would probably buy it.
Mem
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 2:03:11 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
kiwijw wrote:
Hi Colin, Nice post. Yes it does take a lot of research & time out in the field to find a bit of the Coromandel alluvial. Dont think I would call it true alluvial but more detrital gold.
I went for a suck with my dredge last weekend. Got one day in & by mid afternoon it started raining. That didnt bother me as I was diving in my hole any way. When I packed it in & cleaned up the box I had 2.6 grams of shoty gold & a big pile of tailings that I was going to run the detector over to see if any of those nice specimen bits had gone through the box again. It was getting dark & I had to go back to my truck to get the detector, rig it up & with the rain decided to give it a miss & do it first thing in the morning before I cranked the dredge up again. I moved my gear to higher ground in case the creek rose with the rain. Well that night it just bucketed down & on getting to the river in the morning I was gobsmacked to see how high it had risen & I had no chance of getting across it. Bugger I would have to head home & leave all the gear there. I didnt get back until after work on tuesday night. The creek had dropped & I was able to retrieve my gear. All the tailings were washed away & although I detected where they were & down stream from them I got nothing. My hole was also filled right in. Double bugger as I was 5 foot down to bed rock. So there I go to confirm what you just said about the old timers digging to bed rock only to have a fresh come along & destroy all their hard work. It took me 6 days to get down to where I had got to & it was all undone in one night. Dont think I will go through that again to get back to where I was but will try another spot.

Happy hunting

JW :)

jeepers JW 6 days thats almost like work....buggar that!!
mind you would be alrite if ther was a few ounces down there for ya.i went out to day took about 1.5 hours to get set up dredged for 2 hours then the river started to flood that sucked as i had to pack up...3 hours of unpacking and packing up for 2 hours dredgn...dont now how much i got its still in the bin....o well bad day dredging is better than a good days work!!.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 2:25:34 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello, fellow forum members.

I have just been contacted by a private forum message from another member, and I quote its opening passage:

Quote:“Hi Colin, I think we need to be VERY CAREFUL about naming places on a public forum. Once it is out there in the public domain there is no control over what or how many people will follow up on it. Unquote.

The member then goes on to sort of tell me off for doing this, and then informs me that he himself went to a place that somebody had posted on a forum and recovered some good gold from the spot. (Isn’t there a saying about: What’s good for the goose is also good for the Gander?)

The member also mentioned that those who do not have to do their own researches for places to go, will not have any respects for the places that they are led to?

So, in some eyes, it seems as if I have just committed the prospectors biggest sin by trying to give you all a little bit of a hand up to locating a couple of above average gold producing places on the Coromandel Peninsular.

It seems that the sin was initiated by my publishing on our public forum the “Names” of these locations, and that these names will remain within the public domain forever and ever? and may possibly cause problems for the more serious and committed fossickers amongst us, who adhere strictly to the unwritten codes that govern ( or should ) all dedicated prospectors whom may wish to venture to any of these places in the hope of finding a possibly nice piece of gold?

This unwritten code is all about “Respect”.And this means respecting the rights, and the lands of others upon which you may venture onto during the courses of your endeavors to look for gold, or other like things.

In this search you may wish to enter “Privately” owned premises or lands, and this also covers any land blocks known as “Maori land” which will possibly have a multitude of “IWI” owners.

“DO NOT DO THIS BY JUST CLIMBING OVER THE FENCES ETC, AND PROCEEDING ON YOUR WAY WITH COMPLETE DISRESPECT OF SOMEBODY ELSES PROPERTY”. Try every avenue available to you to locate the owner/s,
“AND ASK POLITELY FOR THEIR PERMISSION TO PROCEED ONTO AND OVER THEIR PROPERTIES”.Do it the right way, and most owners are amenable to your proposition.

This code also means:
“CLEAN UP ANY DISTURBANCES, OR MESSES WHICH YOU MAY HAVE MADE TO, OR ON THEIR LAND”.
Disregarding just these few simple respects, can, and will have the effect of causing these landowners to completely ban any sort of prospecting/detecting or whatever, over their lands by hobbyists.
( I.E. Don’t stuff it up for others!!!)

Salutations---Colin.

P.S. Now I don’t know what to do! Do I upset some, to please the others? Or do I please some, and upset the rest? (I guess it’s me who’s upset at the moment. So maybe this pages intended purpose will not be eventuated?)
My decision, I should think!
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 2:56:42 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
The only thing that's upsetting me Colin is that you're not giving me spots to check out down here - the Coromandel Peninsular's a long way for me to go! ;)
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 3:30:14 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
It is your decision but personally I don't have a problem with the sites being named. I used to live and do a lot of rock hounding on the peninsula - mainly for mineral specimens etc around the mines and tailing. Because of this I know of some relatively unknown mines and streams which I plan on returning to this year to hunt for gold. If one of these locations crop up on a forum, so what? There are plenty there and if they get "hunted out" then the lack of finds will only last until the next heavy rain.

It doesn't take much research to find a gold bearing stream or area. A quick look at an old map or just a basic knowledge of geology and common sense is all that is needed. Naming a location on the web doesn't stop this from happening. Respecting other peoples property is right on the mark, but just because somebody researched a site doesn't mean they will follow the codes of practice.

In your posts above there is information apart from locations that is extremely informative. There is so much about Sth Isl hunting that it is good to read something about the Coromandel. I vote to keep it up.

criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 3:36:42 PM(UTC)
criticol

Salutations Gavin.

I just knew that you’d be understanding!

What do you mean, I don’t give you any good spots down there in the South---what about the Lyell one?

Too far away? Well one that springs to mind is located on the very tops of the “OLD MAN RANGE”. Mind you, Winter is not the time to go looking up there!
It’s a nice and strenuous hike in the Summer, but not congenial to a days outing, it has to be a planned trip for a few days,---maybe some Authority has upgraded the crap road that existed when I went up there, but I doubt it!

Anyway there’s nothing wrong with the whole area around Skippers canyon etc. all you have to do there is really suss it out, and go where others may not get to easily.

The south has innumerable opportunistic spots for getting gold, and you just about sit in the middle of some real good ones. Look around your home territory, and you may just be surprised by the possibilities that make the great fishing saying true: “Fish your feet first”
I’ll tell you a tip: Take a small kid prospecting with you if you can---Why---Because their a damn sight closer to the ground than you are, and possibly possess better eyesight. : )

All the best---Regards---Colin.

Edited by user Sunday, 30 January 2011 3:50:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 3:47:39 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Shilo.

Everything that you mention in your post is absolutely true in respect of research and locations etc, and also that theres enough spots to go round to suit everyone. (You'ld be hard pressed to cover them all in a thousand lifetimes anyway!).

So thanks muchly for sticking your spoke in,much appreciated.

Maybe, just maybe, I might name somebodys favourite spot?

Cheers and regards---Colin.
mem  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 6:06:57 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi colin,i came to the forum as usual(several times a day)to see if there is any update to your earlier installment on coromandel,and bummer what a bombshell,i sat here dumbfounded speechless not really sure what to say,in a way i sort of understand what the person is saying about keeping secrets,so what is he doing on this forum?,maybe just here to make sure no one spills the beans,i live in the UK,when i was wandering around gold fossicking forums usually american,i noticed a chap named kiwijw,and i thought he has to be a kiwi lol,following his posts,he seemed to be a very knowlegeble guy,following him (no i am not a stalker LOL) i ended up on this newzealand site,thought wow our own newzealand site,and i have not looked anywhere else since,i joined straight away and here i am,from my armchair,i have learned crevicing,sluicing and a whole load of other stuff,actually i think i am a bit of an expert now,and to date i have not dug an inch of newzealand soil,so he does not have to worry about loosing all his gold,i try to come over to newzealand about every 18 months,north island,love going to coromandel for walks and general sight seeing,but let him just wait til i get over later on this year,sluice on my back and my shovels i am going to dig the lot up and post it on the forum to share with all my forumites,god can you imagine he could be bouncing up and down pulling his hair out.
Cant really say much more then you just keepon the way your are going colin,its been an enjoyable read so fardont let one person spoil it for the rest of us.
Happy hunting every one .
Mem
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 2:11:07 AM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Gidday Colin,

I don't think there's any harm in sharing your research with everyone. In fact it's very decent of you to do so. AND as we all know - knowing the right area to fossick in is only part of the equation.

Keep it up mate!

Cheers,
KM
Bikerman  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 4:53:35 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well reading all that gave me a good old chuckle lol
karatedad  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 10:35:25 AM(UTC)
karatedad

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Everyone.

I now live on the Coromandel. 25yrs ago I used to come down here to fossick regularly, and subsequently bought an acreage on the Tararu Creek not far from the Sylvia mine, and although I moved on from there a few years after, I moved back to the peninsular after I retired four years ago.

I think Colin is doing a great job in sharing info.

I'm going to take a slightly different approach here, though. Instead of naming specific places, my accent is on the research side. So, here goes a few tips:-
#1. Visit the Thames mining museum and speak to the curator ( Mr Isdale ) His father was a very clued up guy, who wrote a lot about the Coro gold areas.

#2. Libraries...books on the early years mining and history. eg "Economic Geology of NZ Hauraki GOLD, by GJ Williams, also " The Thames Diaries" by Vicesssimus Lush, who was the first Presbyterian minister.

#3. Historic Gold Trails of the Coromandel

Interestingly enough, everything mentioned in Colin's opening page is mentioned in #3. and a lot more besides.

On another topic, On Wednesday, I'm starting my extended trip. I intend to travel from Whitiang around the Easr Cape to Napier, then down to Wellington, and then across to the SI and then exploring as much as possible. My focus will be on fishing and fossicking. If you see a little old greying/bald fella in a Hiace campervan, please come and say hello. I'm not sure how often I will be able to log on to the forum, but hope to have lots of pics to post when I get back....6-8 weks time.

Good Hunting,
Ken
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 1:39:15 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi all

When i was living up north i did a bit of panning up the coromandel area found colour in a few of the creeks so was good fun from what i under stand a lot of gold was lost through the minnig procees be for they bought in the cyanide process so any water ways with in the old minnig sites should yeild some colour tho very small in size . Also when i was living in matamata i got talking to an old guy who said he and a mate had gained some colour in a few creeks draining from the kaimai ranges not that i ever got a chance to have a look . But the coromandel is an awsome place be it for gold or rock hunting, Thanks for the great posts

Regards cavey
GoldenKiwi  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 1:51:52 PM(UTC)
GoldenKiwi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Colin,

As always thank you for your very informative posts.

I think it's great you are willing to share information with other forum members.

Cheers,
Jason
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 2:06:42 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Mem.

Hands across the waters, and all that stuff. (Shake, Shake).
Mem, you’ve just about converted me to believing that there is such a phenomena as E.S.P?
That’s correct, this is New Zealand’s first very own fossicking site, and when I first found it, I too was quite happy that we had finally (sort of) come of age and now had our own site where we could share knowledge’s amongst other keen like minded Kiwis about some of the unique histories? of the old mining places in this country, or hopefully to share some of the more un-obvious locations about those old gold mining districts which sometimes take a long time to find out about. Also to share some of the more likely places where fellow member fossickers were gaining a little more than colors in their pans.
These aims are what I have endeavored to achieve, and to some extent I hope that I have succeeded in some small way in my attempts to make things a bit less mystifying, and more of what could turn out to be a more satisfying outdoors hobby activity for those of us that are willing to learn from the mistakes? of some of those who have gone before them, and whom have had to stumble around practically blindly in the search for information’s into the whys and wherefores of why some places produced gold, and yet there were others that produced no gold at all.

The reason for doing this, is that when I was young and adventurous,( also bulletproof?)
I always found that all the old miners etc. that I encountered in those days were so secretive about talking about their own experiences, that if you should approach the subject of “Good spots” they became like oysters and clammed up, and made comments like: Ooooo. Ahhhhh, Ummmm, Cough, Cough, well you could try here. “Here” usually turned out to be some spot where you spent a week washing gravels and never saw a trace of golden color in your pan.

But you learn fast that you’ve been had yet again, so in the end you don’t ask relevant questions from anyone, and blunder on, on your own, until you have some sort of successes. It is from these, and from being observant of where these occurred, that can help you to recognize some of the features that scream out Gold country. Once these features a tucked away in your brain, you can then venture further afield in your searches, knowing full well that you’ve done your initiating homework properly and become self supporting with your hard won knowledge’s.

Mind you, today’s searching for those things that I found so frustrating and time consuming, are basically
“A Piece of P--- “ to discover within the realms of the Internet World.

Yes, I have a lot of knowledge about golds habits and likely whereabouts, but I’m aging now and it is my wish to share some of these goodies before I pass on.
(Which could be in a couple of hundred years from now, if I have my way.) : )

Anyway enough Bullsh-- for now, somebody like yourself is quite welcome to look me up when you come over to N.Z

Cheers and many regards---Colin.

P.S. Bring another Armchair, as I haven’t got much meat on my butt end now. : )

Edited by user Thursday, 3 February 2011 12:45:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 2:55:23 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Ken.

Yes, books are books, some are informative, and some are not.

Getting your hands on a good informative volume today is something of a mission in itself, but when I started they were more easily obtained if you cared to pay the prices asked for them.
You mention of the Thames Museums current curators father, (Alistar Isdale)
Brought back many memories of time spent in the museum talking to him, and trying to pick his brains for some thirst quenching knowledge into this game. But as seems to be the “Norm” in those days he was as secretive as if you were going to steal what he considered to be his gold. Quite a nice old guy though after you had met him quite a few times, reasonably congenial.

You seem to have, or have access to a few books about gold?

Have you read “F. W. Huttons” reports about the Hauraki gold fields? (1868?)
? Mark means that I’m to lazy to go down stairs to check out the date.: )
A really exceptionally informative book about gold, is the volume by,
“T. K. Rose“,
And wouldn’t you know it ,its just called, “GOLD”.

“James Park“, wrote some good scripts too. (He was a Governmental goldfields geologist, as was Hutton.)

There was also a specialized series of “Separate” volumes produced by the Government printer of those days, which gave Really comprehensive and “Separate” accounts of all the main Mines etc, that existed in all the main areas of those times.
These were all early model books, written in the times when the mines were actually operating, not more modern “Rehashes” that were sometimes written to suit the writers ego!

Cheers and regards---Colin.