New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 February 2011 2:47:44 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Criticol has just made me aware that a number of submissions people have made regarding the review have been made available online: http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/ContentTopicSummary____45620.aspx

Had a quick scan through some of the submissions - seems to be quite a lot of different views represented. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of voices against a change in legislation.
Flintlock  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 February 2011 4:40:52 PM(UTC)
Flintlock

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Thanks Gavin and Criticol for bringing this to our notice. Yes there are a lot of submissions in opposition to changes to small scale permits. These seem to be mainly from existing beach sand permit holders. I can see why they would not want the removal of their permits and the value they represent. Obviously the black sand miners were 'on to it' as far as getting their submissions in even if most of them are from the same stock form.
I feel most hobby prospectors would be ignorant of the review and submissions. I know I was until I joined this forum. How then are our feelings to be gauged if most of us have not been able to make submissions. Yes I saw the submission from this forum and I thank the authors for their time and effort, but how much more weight would it have carried if every member of this forum, or indeed every part time fosicer had made a similar submission.
Regards

Flintlock

Edited by user Tuesday, 1 February 2011 4:41:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bikerman  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 February 2011 1:06:34 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Meh....Think I'll just continue what I'm doing till someone tells me I'm not allowed to....
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 February 2011 10:28:21 AM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Wondered when the submissions would be published.

Well I've read through each one and the response to Q13 seems fairly evenly split. Of those submissions opposed to the removal or relaxation of existing permit requirements, the majority seemed to be in the form of a templated submission (as noted by Gavin) and relate to beach sand operations.

You never know what sort of political clout has been brought to bear whilst the process has been underway, but collectively we've made a reasonable and visible point. Guess it'll be interesting to see what happens from here.

If nothing else we might at least see some relaxation of requirements for fossicking - even a reduced fee would be a huge step forward. That said - with large tracts of land already subject to permits of various types I fear there would be fairly limited scope to reap the rewards for at least a couple of years to come (when a big glut of prospecting and exploration permits start to expire).

KM
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 February 2011 1:20:26 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Karl.

Yes, there’s definitely a bit of bias towards sand dredging/dredging methods etc.

But what the hell, maybe there will still be a few crumbs to spill our way?
I suppose that we will be grateful for any little concessions that tend to help our hobby flourish without to many rules etc.

You seem to be pretty clued up in the vagueness of the mining acts intentions, and that in itself is of tremendous use to the forums members.
Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers---Colin.

Karl McDowell  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 1:42:00 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Thanks Colin. As mentioned in a previous post I'm a freelance GIS analyst (mapping type stuff) but the earlier part of my career was spent working for the govt and others dealing with resource management issues, so I guess I've seen it from both sides of the fence. If I can help out in any way don't hesitiate to let me know.

KM
Cordt  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 2:00:18 PM(UTC)
Cordt

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Many thanks Criticol and Gavin for the useful link listing submissions. As a claim-holder, I have a vested interest in the above review, and would rather not see my permit ended without at least some compensation for the thousands in surveying and other costs. The review offers no compensation. But as a fossicker also around the top of the South Island and West Coast, I support many of the views in this forum.

The idea of the old-style temporary mining permits over Crown land that we used to get at Forest Service offices is a good one, but looking over the Crown Minerals' proposals carefully, there's no sign of course of anything like that. I realise many people posting aspire to these temporary permits and a few seem to think we will go back to this system if small claims are wiped out. More likely the small claims will be taken over quickly by mining firms, especially those which can afford lawyers, big machinery, PR consultants and, frankly, who drink with Crown Minerals executives.

Please don't be so hard on claim-holders who don't work their claims 24/7. Many small-scale miners are low-paid seasonal workers who might do a bit of farm work, white-baiting, hunting and in mid-summer will work on their mining claims for extra income. This is especially true on the Coast.

I agree with Flintlock that most hobby prospectors would be ignorant of the review and submissions. Also buried in the proposals is a plan to get rid of official gold-fossicking areas where people can pan or use a small sluice box. Again the Coast would be hit hardest because it has eight of the 16 designated areas, with the others in Golden Bay, inland Nelson and Otago. Crown Minerals suggests [see p20 in the discussion paper] that under their new system people without claims who wanted to fossick for gold should be allowed to do so but only if they “obtain appropriate land access consents and any approvals under the Resource Management Act”. It says as a result of this “the provisions on gold fossicking areas would also be able to be repealed”.

While Crown Minerals may be suggesting that our claims be open to fossickers, a more careful reading of the whole background document suggests that Crown Minerals wants to do less paperwork and thus deal with a few commercial operators instead of lots of small-scale miners. Many of us wish to use portable suction dredges or other pumps in fairly low-key and inoffensive ways but there's a risk the Crown Minerals Review might be used by local bodies in combination with the RMA to make such activities illegal.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 2:33:30 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi cordt
i agree mostly with what you have to say...like your self i have a permit also so like most other permit holders made a submission against any change though im not at all against freeing up the whole fossicking area eather i mean who sticks to those area,s anyway!...but im more inclined to think that there are a lot more people out there takeing up claims and not useing them at all (realstater,s) than you may realise infact some of the largest river claims in the country have not been used for a number of years and some of these guys have 2-3-4 claims!and dont even live in n,z...to a degree there not much better than glassearth!... speaking of which who is new zealand minerals...? do they have any tie,s whith the nz goverment...? as i notice they have a 10% shear with some of glassearth claims which to my way of thinking would be more of a reason for gerry to scrap small scale permit,s than a bit of paper work which is extreamly well paid for!
gbm.
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 1:22:09 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

I think existing permit holders do have a legitimate point about the investment they've made and I don’t support any changes that would erode the value of that investment, but surely there must be some compromise that makes the cost of compliance more appropriate to the scale.

What most of us seem to be advocating is some relaxation of the rules concerning what effectively amounts to fossicking. Those same changes could create an environment that would ultimately benefit existing small scale permit holders. I see no reason why people wanting to have exclusive use of a particular spot couldn’t still make the investment and have that exclusivity.
goldfinger  
Posted : Thursday, 10 February 2011 2:47:18 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
This is the scenario.
At present the Government is borrowing in excess of $NZ300 million a week or in excess of
$15 billion a year simply to keep the ship afloat. Obviously this cannot continue for much
longer. Apart from the unanticipated expenditure covering the Christchurch Earthquake,
Government spending is now simply entirely out of control – and it is being done deliberately
by senior Government, Treasury and Reserve Bank officials – who are acting on behalf of
foreign banking masters. The idea is to first almost “bankrupt” the country soon (problem) – then quickly introduce severe “austerity measures” on the general masses which will create a “violent response”(reaction) – and in response to this, come up with the “only real practical answer” (solution)– is the need to “privatize” all the remaining national state assets, Crown “family silver” and sell-off the whole country to the highest bidder (to the foreign bankers themselves of course)
and in the process allow their mining companies to come in and almost unrestrictedly mine
the prime conservation national park areas, foreshores and sea-beds throughout the entire
country.Its quite possible that all mining licences will be terminated or fazed out, or ending at their expiring date.The miners right system would allow no personal hold on the land, which is the direction iam picking the Government will go, simlar to the American system.All creeks etc will be open to all with horse power retrictions.Of course this is not in the interests of New Zealanders but a move towards becoming tennants in our own land.
KraziKiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 March 2011 4:24:10 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi I also own a claim and find it annoying that they will cancel your claim if you dont fill
in specific forms ,hey I dont have 20 diggers or 200 staff leave me alone is it true that they might cancel small claim owners ,grow up crown minerals
digger37  
Posted : Friday, 1 April 2011 8:35:53 AM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi
I fear Goldfingers doom & gloom conspiracy theory might not be far from the truth... if the current goverment gets in the next term they will sell everything & anything, our souls included to the highest bidder and no doubt be lining there own pockets on the way past......
However if you own gold claims you might just be sitting on a true pot of gold as these can be sold to.