New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Kiwi218  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 6:53:28 PM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi I am a new gold bug user. I am having good luck with finding coins down the beach but was over on the west coast the other day and met a old guy down the river he put his bottle of gold on the ground and I run the detector over it and it hardly made a sound so try my wedding ring it picked that up ok. Is because I am using 11" coil ?
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 7:06:00 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
A detector picks up a single mass, thus the greater the solid mass of the metal the stronger the signal. The bottle of gold consisted of 100's of very small bits and the detector will only pick up each bit whereas the ring although maybe the same weight is one single solid object which brings in a stronger signal.

This is the same reason why jewellery chains are so hard to find - the detector only picks up on each small link of the chain.

Edited by user Monday, 28 January 2013 7:06:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kiwi218  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 8:05:52 PM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Man
New Zealand

Thanks for you reply. He had some decent size flakes in the bottle the sort of thing I was hopeing to detect down the river. Found lots of nails and a few bullets but no gold hope I didn't miss it
under the bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 8:35:42 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
put it on all metal ,not discrimination and crank up the settings,use headphones and listen for subtle "zip"sounds not "boing" sounds
Kiwi218  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 9:06:45 PM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Man
New Zealand

Thanks bedrock will get those headphones and save up for the 5" coil
simon  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 10:02:57 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i've got a gold bug 2 and if i put a bottle with even a small amount of gold under it it goes mental.

doesn't really matter if it's big flakes or a mass of fines.

how does it handle a nugget that is buried in the ground? perhaps find/borrow or buy a little nugget and test by burying it. a good trick is encase the gold in glass with a little loop to attach a fine line to so you don't end up losing your test gold.
Kiwi218  
Posted : Monday, 28 January 2013 10:25:32 PM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Man
New Zealand

try it with a ring buried it in garden and gold bug picks it up good just funny how it didn't pick up those big flakes in the bottle
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 8:55:39 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

were the flakes in the bottle held up in the air or on the ground? could have been the distance from the coil if held in the air.

from what i've seen of the new gold bugs they need waved up and down over the ground to auto balance. perhaps that had something to do with it also?

can you test again with another similar bottle of gold flake? would be interesting if this carries on or the result is different.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 11:08:25 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)

I have found that the Gold bug will pick up on small concentrations of flakes contrary to what others seem to find or observe so that a bottle with a number of small flakes in will give the same response as a large flake or small nugget with the same weight. If the small flakes or colours were spread out over an area then I have no doubt that they will not respond individually and therefore give no response at all but together they most certainly have in my observation so that .5 grams of gold in a larger flake form give the same response as .5 grams in fine colour or dust form if concentrated together..
Kiwi218  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 11:53:47 AM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Man
New Zealand

The bottle was on the ground and I ground balance the gold bug first but hardly any sound then picked up bottle and put down wedding ring and bug went nuts.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 12:26:02 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

they're good detectors the gold bugs. i wonder what went wrong here.

do you know how much gold flake was in the bottle? and just how big the flakes were.

as shilo pointed out in a previous thread response it may have been the fact it was all fines. that siad i had a bottle of fines and the sheer volume of fines still made the bug go nuts.

its a bit like running the bug over a riverbed with black sand/magnetite deposits. if you get a big enought accumulation of the sands it goes nuts on the detector. but if they are spread out all over and still loads there is obviously a lesser or no response even though the sands are still there.

i should really get around to some serious testing with the gold bugs to see what differences there really are between the gold bug 2 and these new digital ones.
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 January 2013 4:42:53 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Flakes are tricky because they are so thin, skin effect takes precedence over conductivity measurements. Detectors have trouble figuring out exactly what they are, when in discrimination mode at least. That's why small bits of aluminium foil cause problems.