New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kev  
Posted : Sunday, 3 February 2013 5:46:05 PM(UTC)
kev

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
What are your thoughts on an old Whites Coinmaster 5000/D, is it worth while using or is the technology just too old.
I have used it to locate lots of rubbish and plenty of sinkers, shallow coins e.t.c on the beach, but never seem to find anything decent on soil such as the treasure commonly found in Hagly park (maybe my lack of experence) any feedback would be great, Thanks
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 3 February 2013 10:27:45 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I had one of those back about 1979, when they were the latest-greatest thing, bloody expensive and sensitive machine way back then. Check out you tube there are bound to be videos, also check Ebay they might just be valuable collectors items by now!
It will find most things, the discriminator sort of works - just need to ignore the needle and really listen to the different sounds it makes, then with practice you get an idea of what you have detected. I used it in all metal mode on gold, I dug everything for a start, actually found a buried car first time out with it! Got pretty good eventually at telling what was under the coil. That's about all I remember about them - it was a long time ago. Can't even remember what happened to mine, probably sold it off back in the 80's.
If I had a choice between the 5000 and some no-name Chinese plastic fantastic, I would go with the the Whites every time. Don't know if that is much help. NUGGY
kev  
Posted : Sunday, 3 February 2013 11:03:02 PM(UTC)
kev

New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Cheers, at least I know it can work if it's in the right hands, found a $1 coin, large bolt (think it was for securing the insulators on power lines) and numerous bits of aluminium can in a park tonight. I must say it is good for locating alum cans. E- bay may be worth a look as it is in like new condition