New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Cordt  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 12:58:21 PM(UTC)
Cordt

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello all. Has anyone heard of any new truly portable breathing compressors ie driven by light motors with full face masks or mouthpieces at the other end? Floating or can sit on the bank. In the past I've used dive tanks - too heavy to cart into the bush and of course run out too quickly. Also had compressors attached to suction dredges and lately a floating Johnson Air Buoy which uses an old Iron-Horse motor and has two great full-faced masks attached. But this is also very heavy - can't pack in much else when carrying it. Also the air intake is a little too close to the exhaust, especially if there's a swirling wind. This has probably given me so much brain damage that I'm still prospecting!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 1:30:39 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi there about the best one iv used is the kac1 but it proably dosent weigh any less than the t80 not that eather of them are very heavy....the heavyist part is the engine so thats were you,l save on weight...the lightest 1 iv used is a oleo,mac 2stroke 2hp (should run a compressor...tad nois,y though)they only weigh 7-8kg,s but are farely pricey but great engine,s....have you look,d at the battrey one,s..?
gbm
Cordt  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 2:14:17 PM(UTC)
Cordt

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks for tip on Kac1 etc. Any suggested links on battery ones? (never heard of these before).
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 7 February 2011 2:38:32 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
il sus out a sight tomorrow...as some of them are real pricey but i did find some for around $600 usd...mite have been on the keene web sight.think they use them for cleaning under boats etc.
starflash  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 12:56:33 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
hi there cordt

there are battery powered hookah dive systems sold in the usa for snorklers to dive for lobster and clams. they are a 12v system generally that floatin ring with one or two hoses. very good for short dives up to 50ft. quiet but battery lasts max 2 hours, so weight for many batteries becomes restrictive. i have looked into these but the price is just over the top, the prob is the motor being a 12v systems require dry syncros etc not a basic gas engine which is cheap to produce. www.hookahdivegear.com www.hookamax.com

full diving restrictions/laws still apply, many snorklers in usa not used to diving depths have died using these tools. nz agencies exsist on all major brands, the us based stores will not sell to someone in nz. most major scuba stores have agencies and can get them in for you, however they dont sell many if any here.

if your going to get a cheaper piston engine model and make noise you would be better attaching a compressor to a motor dredge and go the hole hog.

KraziKiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 March 2011 4:12:50 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi I have a 6' Gold Dredge and run a hookah dive compressor awsome thing I have a broken one for sale but needs new bearings and a main shaft but will run all day using a 3.5hp motor call me 02102759803 Glen
ronincolin  
Posted : Friday, 22 April 2011 1:13:49 PM(UTC)
ronincolin

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Also check out octopumps.com for some sweet deals