New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 11:53:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:59:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2011 10:14:06 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, that's about it for my fossicking.... this time round. Will head back up to winter in the north, and plan to come back down south in spring. At this stage am looking to spend the whole summer down south next time, so should have plenty of time to get down the west Coast.

Spent a good few weeks on the Wakamarina river. Thanks to a local chap Donald, soon found a few flakes. Xterra Steve and then Blenheim Steve inspired me to do some sniping/ crevassing... I found about the same amount sniping [which I never really got the hang of] as I did sluicing..... less pieces sniping though a better size.

All up, I reckon a got near a 1/4 ounce for my efforts... not bad for a newbie on holiday eh... would pay for the deisel... not that I'm selling it but..lol. In the future, wouldn't mind adding to my arsenal with a decent detector. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

Having invested in gold before, I tended to think in terms of ounces. After fossicking for a bit, I've learnt to appreciate and respect the humble gram..... it may not seem a lot, but when you're "off the grid" with next to no outgoings/ expenses etc, it soon adds up. It's all relative.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, 16 March 2011 10:35:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2011 11:21:20 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:59:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2011 3:24:57 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
WELL DONE Roman,what a bagfull,i wouldnt mind just a teeny weeny bit of that just to look at and feel it.
Cant wait till november, good luck every one .
Mem
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2011 3:33:32 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Nice little haul Roman - well done! Just back out from the bush myself after finding a sweet little spot - will post finds soon ;)
roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 7:16:43 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

kiwijw wrote:
G'Day Roman, Well bloody done mate. Looks like more than 1/4 oz to me.
Yes it isnt easy is it. You diserve every bit for your effort. What are you plans up north?

JW :)

Hi JW, pretty much staying off grid.... stuff this economy...lol. Will be getting into another hobby of mine; rammed earth architecture. The plan is to stay at a sister's near Raglan, who has a garden art cafe, for a bit and try to make some sculptures/ birdbaths/ pedastals out of the stuff. Will be interesting to see how it goes, and whether anyone might be interested in buying them. Might pick up a bit of work here and there if it suits me, before heading south again as soon as she warms up.

Edited by user Thursday, 17 March 2011 7:17:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 7:20:35 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

gavin wrote:
Nice little haul Roman - well done! Just back out from the bush myself after finding a sweet little spot - will post finds soon ;)

Thanks Gavin, with a good 4 or 5 months up my sleeve, I reckon it'll be much easier to catch up next time round, and will definitely strike further south.
roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 7:22:38 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

mem wrote:
WELL DONE Roman,what a bagfull,i wouldnt mind just a teeny weeny bit of that just to look at and feel it.
Cant wait till november, good luck every one .
Mem

Cheers... probably looks more than it actually is. Digital cameras, like water, have the habit of magnifying things. lol
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 8:48:25 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:59:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 4:34:51 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

kiwijw wrote:
Hi Roman, Do you incorporate cement into your mix. I have seen some cool stuff made from a cement/pumice mix that when dry & finished looks just like rock.

JW :)

Yep, about 7, 8% cement. The trick is to find the right kind of sub-soil..... not too clayey, not to sandy... just right.

Heard the apple season is just about in full swing in the Hawkes Bay, so will head up there for a few weeks before getting over to Raglan. Feel like some Royal Galas... yum... and will pay for some deisel.lol

Edited by user Saturday, 19 March 2011 4:39:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

starflash  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 2:30:26 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
seems like quite a cool trip you got going on. what age group you in 20-30, 30-40, 40-50?
hows the van holding up.
if your around coromandel this winter send me a pm would be keen on days fossick, i know of a few promising spots

Edited by user Saturday, 19 March 2011 2:31:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2011 5:42:29 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

starflash wrote:
seems like quite a cool trip you got going on. what age group you in 20-30, 30-40, 40-50?
hows the van holding up.
if your around coromandel this winter send me a pm would be keen on days fossick, i know of a few promising spots

Hi Starflash, I'm in my early 40s.... value my leisure, and just want to work when I want to work [and don't we all know looking for gold is work], with the idea of covering my outgoings by keeping them to a bare minimum [not that I'll sell any gold... will keep that for a rainy day]. Something of an extended working holiday kind of thing...lol. Definitely keen to catch up with you in Coromandel as will be there visiting family for a week or so. Will be good to talk to you about detectors also!

The van is purring along. It's 4WD which allowed me to get right up into some gnarly DOC roads. In the process of getting a "self-contained certificate" for it, so I can park at no charge at various spots around the countryside. I'd been doing that anyway, but got moved on for the first time last night [in Hastings}. $25 at the motorcamp.... ouch!

Edited by user Monday, 21 March 2011 5:48:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pogobull  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 March 2011 3:30:34 AM(UTC)
pogobull

KraziKiwi wrote:
Hi All
I have a claim up the wakamarina and if any one is keen to have a play they
are most welcome.Maybe a dredge but only 3" dredges!!!

hey krazi. wow to be able to work a private area (your claim) would be fantastic ,what would be the chances in
cruzin over sum stage to have a play .i only have a sluice and shovel.
just got back from 1 week at the waimea and got me a few flakes and enjoyed the time in the bush.
im currently jobless for a few months due to the earthquake here has rooted my work premises.
so ,yeah got planty of time on me hands.
regards
2 Pages<12