New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 February 2011 7:24:52 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, I finally made it to the south. Decided to park up at Pinedale Campgrounds that I'd heard a bit about, and bumped into a bloke called Steve. Turned out he's also the XterraSteve who posts here [Hi Steve if you're reading this!]. Steve drew a most excellent map of the Butcher's Flat area, and suggested I might want to add a wet suit to my arsenal. About to head back from Blenheim now [where I shopped and from where I'm posting] and spend the rest of the week sniping. I see the weather is forecast to stay good for the rest of the week. If any fellow fossickers are in the area, feel free to come up for a day... I plan to be there until Sunday/ Monday.

After that will be heading to a place called Moonlight... then the Howard... then the Aerore valley/ Golden Bay.... before heading further south.

Edited by user Wednesday, 16 February 2011 7:27:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cavey  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 February 2011 1:57:26 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Roman Holiday

Hope you enjoy your trip wish i was doing sumthing like that mite catch up if you on the west coast in a month or so .

Cavey
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 February 2011 2:41:21 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Let me know how you get on with the sniping - keen to give it a go myself ;)
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 20 February 2011 1:55:18 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Finally got into town [Nelson] to buy a few supplies etc. Met a old timer [local... used to own the claim] who showed me a few tricks with digging a hole, sluicing, and panning.....lo and behold I found gold!.... just a little bit... will post a pic when it adds up to something more impressive. Met a guy who does really well sniping in the weekends... and hope to learn a few tricks from him when he's back next on saturday. Most of this week I reckon I'll just keep plodding along with the sluice... not finding a great amount but get a buzz with the little that I get.

Steve [Xterra Steve] lent me an old heavy sluice box which works a treat.... a few buckets, thne a pan, and I always get a few flakes. Tomorrow I might try to just bucket a lot more over the sluice and pan less frequently... that way I might get more in each pan. Have to buy something to classify the material with... as it is am carting a bit of rock.

Plan to stay on the Waka for next week then head westwards to the Aorere Valley [Golden Bay]

roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 20 February 2011 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

cavey wrote:
Hi Roman Holiday

Hope you enjoy your trip wish i was doing sumthing like that mite catch up if you on the west coast in a month or so .

Cavey

Hi Cavey. Yep, would be great to catch up on the west coast. I reckon I'll be down towards Westport and then Greymouth in a few weeks or so.

Edited by user Sunday, 20 February 2011 1:58:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 27 February 2011 3:35:27 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

After a good week on the Waka, found a good 5 or 6 grams.... getting towards a quarter of an ounce! I started digging a hole near bedrock, and shovelled out the clay sandy stuff under the rocks, classified and sluiced. A local guy, who I teamed up with for a day, reckons that area had been exposed by the massive floods... previously there had been another meter or so of overburden on top of it. Stayed there longer than originally planned due to finding the colour... have moved on now due to having to organise a better classifying system, and to see more of the country side. If I don't find it as good as the Waka elsewhere, will circle back there before heading back up north for the winter. Now off to Aorere valley. If anyone local would like to meet up for a fossick, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Roman.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 27 February 2011 3:38:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 February 2011 6:57:52 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Gooday Roman.

You say that your coming back up "North" for the Winter.

WHERE TO?

And are you in the country full time now? or only for the near future?

Cheers and Regards---Colin.

Edited by user Sunday, 27 February 2011 7:01:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 27 February 2011 7:13:25 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

criticol wrote:
Gooday Roman.

You say that your coming back up "North" for the Winter.

WHERE TO?

And are you in the country full time now? or only for the near future?

Cheers and Regards---Colin.

Hi Colin, yes back for good. I'll most probably winter in the Waikato/ Coromandel/ Bay of Plenty area where I have plenty of family. It would be great to pop in sometime and show you my summer's efforts. I'm pretty much "off grid" these days with a self-contained campervan for home. My plan is to do some rammed earth graden architecture/sculpture at my sister's place near Raglan. She has just opened a garden art cafe there and is keen to see me do a large bird bath/ goldfish pond/ seating area. Should be a fun and welcome change after a summer of shovelling. Regards, Roman.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 27 February 2011 1:13:19 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:57:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 28 February 2011 3:50:47 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

kiwijw wrote:
Hi Roman, Good to hear you are getting some colour. I was going to suggest that you go to the Aorere from the Wakamarina & then head to the Howard. You could try the Baton River on your way to the Howard. From the Howard then head to the Moonlight. Are you going any further down the West Coast & are you going to Otago??

Happy hunting

JW :)

Hi JW, thanks for the suggestions. My plan is basically to follow that route... though I was thinking of having a look around Murchison, Lyell area also. Moonlight is near Greymouth right? I heard the bridge to moonlight is out and may take a couple of months to rebuild. Bugger. I don't think I'll make it as far as Otago this time round.... may have to leave that for next summer, when I should be able to get down earlier.

Baton could well be worth a look... I've been told there's gold in the Motueka. Toady though need to look for some better classifying gear.... what I have is pretty pitiful, and a laborious process.

Does anyone know where there might be a store which actually specializes in selling gold panning equipment? I'm checking out Nelson Recycling Centre today which is apparently good for odds and ends.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 28 February 2011 5:05:43 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:57:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Friday, 4 March 2011 3:21:27 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Thanks for the classifying tips JW [bought a $15 soil sieve from Miter 10, which fits into the top of a large bucket.... better than what I had though still less than ideal].

Well, I've decided to hightail it back to the Wakamarina valley. Couple of things decided it for me; it's starting to get cold... coming down the Motueka valley, staying up in the hills at DOC's Wangapeka camping ground was cold. Also, scratching around in both the Aorere and Mot areas, I was always thinking of the gold I was actually finding in Waka, so there's the desire to head back there, and see if I can collect a little more before returning north. I'll leave the West Coast, and perhaps Otago for next summer, when I hope to have a good 4 months or so to travel about. The other thing is I think it pays to try to meet up with someone with local knowledge of an area before going there [or have the luck to bump into a local with fossicking knowledge]... otherwise it can be a bit directionless.

Given the time constraints, I probably didn't do justice to the Aorere/ Baton area, but was good to have a quick tiki tour of the area anyway. Next 2/3 weeks will be on the Waka for me, plodding away and seeing if I can amass an ounce or so.

A great top that Don gave me [for sluicing] is the use of a pair of cut off wet suit arms. These serve to keep your arms dry when shovelling in the river... it is quite a pain having to dry out shirt/ jersey arms all the time. It's also a pain trying tofind an old wet suit that fits :(....
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 5 March 2011 3:54:13 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:58:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SusanP  
Posted : Sunday, 6 March 2011 1:42:22 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello chaps, I've been away from the site for a while but still dream about finding some gold. Gavin and I went over to Moonlight last November and happened to arrive there the weekend they were taking the bridge down, bad timing. I was hoping the bridge might be back or at least being built by now, does anyone know anything about it? The more cynical people I have spoken to about this said
DoC were postponing or delaying the rebuilding since they didn't want the expense, hopefully that's not true?

any update would be much appreciated

cheers

S
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 7 March 2011 12:10:34 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:58:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 March 2011 3:19:15 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

kiwijw wrote:
G'day Roman, Mate.....I think you need to go to the chemist & buy some "toughen up pills" It is only just march & you reckon it is getting cold. What sort of gold miner are you.....:) LOL.
Research is the key to any fossicking trip. Do your homework before you leave for the gold fields. Make notes. Copy maps. Put them in sealable plastic bags for field use. It can take a day or two to get familar with an area. The first time I got up the Moonlight I spent the afternoon just walking around & sussing the place out. I didnt start any mining until the next day when I had a better idea of the spots to go.
Buy yourself some real neoprene waders. They will set you back a few hundered dollars but you can stand in icey water all day & be comfy as.
If you are worried about your arms you can either get a wet suit top or some long heavy duty rubber gloves. No point in cutting off the arms of a wetty unless it is nacked.

Go hard

Happy hunting up the Waka

JW :)

Ha ha.... yeah I wouldn't chop up a perfectly good wetsuit [got one of those]. The idea is pick up a real old second-hand cheapie somewhere.... you only need the arms to keep your arms dry [it is a pain continually having to dry out jersey/ shirt arms everyday when living in a camper]. If you wore a complete wetsuit top you would soon overheat shovelling gravel all day.

The Waka is too high at the moment thanks to the downpour last week. It will take a few more days to come back down, I reckon I'll have another weeks crack at the spot where I was finding gold... though I'll have to redig the hole as it looks to have been filled in... another foot of overburden could have been put on the bedrock with the last storm.

Edited by user Tuesday, 8 March 2011 3:23:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KraziKiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 March 2011 2:36:27 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi All
I have a claim up the wakamarina and if any one is keen to have a play they
are most welcome.Maybe a dredge but only 3" dredges!!!
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 2:46:55 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

KraziKiwi wrote:
Hi All
I have a claim up the wakamarina and if any one is keen to have a play they
are most welcome.Maybe a dredge but only 3" dredges!!!

Hi KraziKiwi, that's cool. Whereabouts is your claim? So far, I've scratched around in Pear tree Flat and Deep Creek area. No dredges, just the hard yakka of shovel and sluice. Found a few grams, plan to be there for the next week and a half.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 4:15:37 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
That's very sporting of you KraziKiwi - much appreciated. Might take you up on that at some point if work's taking a bit too long kicking back in down here ;)
justjoe  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 5:52:20 AM(UTC)
justjoe

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Cheers KraziKiwi, the thought of digging on a legal claim has kept me (mainly) away from the Waka this year, if I get a chance before the chill of winter I'd like to take you up on that offer too...
Heavy pans, warm toes, Joe.
2 Pages12>