New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 6:21:41 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
We seemed to of gate crashed a previous topic so figured it best to open up another topic for the operating the V3i:

Digger - since you about to take the leap away from the factory programs and into using and programming your own, here's some tips and programs I have found helpful.

General Programming

1. Always just change one thing at a time until you learn what effect that setting has. It's easy to change 4-5 settings at once then get confused as to what's effecting what when id'ing a target

2. Change & save the name of one of the factory programs as your personal one. Once you have sussed out a setting change and like its effect then save it. If you find out later that you don't really like it you can re-install your personal program before the change.

3. I find it helpful to keep all the tones and frequency colours the same in any program I use. These are easily changed with the settings and by standardising them you know at a glance (or sound) what the detector is telling you no matter what program you are using.

4. Record your program changes on the form found at the back of the manual. Use photocopies to allow for various changes and fine tuning over the years, also write in the margin the effects the setting has. This I haven't done and always kick myself over!

5. Turn on Pinpointing VCO for all programs (its off by default).

6. You can change which Icons match which VDI's quite easily. Remember they are set for US coins and targets - why not change them to match ours?

7. When discriminating out VDI's always allow some buffer between the numbers. For example if you air test a $1 coin at 58 then allow a buffer of at least 5 numbers either side (accept 53 to 63). When a target is buried it can fudge the VDI's a bit and this will allow for it.

Programs I like

By going to the Whites Forum at the link Ed gave before: http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forumdisplay.php?70-Detector-Programs you will find a list on non-factory programs that the various Whites guru's have come up with. The V3i ones have a large leap in performance over the factory programs in certain situations. The factory programs are more generalised. Detector performance can be further increased by fine tuning it with your own setting changes to match them to the soil / environment you are hunting in.

Tips:
When changing Tones or VDI's etc instead of setting each one of the 190 individually, just set one then as its highlighted keep your finger on the enter button and down or up arrow through the VDI's you want to set at that number. Repeat for all variations. (I learnt this the hard way!). Also when programming inside the house its best to just unscrew the cable so you don't get interference from the coil.

The following are what I use the most with the program it was based on listed, all settings are the same as the base program unless stated below:

1. Goldie
Used solely to quickly hunt down our $1 & $2 coins without being side tracked by other targets (good for when I'm feeling broke or want to buy more detecting equipment!).

Start with the factory Coin & Jewellery program.
RX = 6
I have discriminated out all VDI tones from -95 to +48 by giving them a 0 tone, allowed +49 to +66 with a tone of 200, +67 to +95 also has a 0 tone.
Ground Filter = 10HZ
Recovery Delay = 80
SAT = 20 (don't bother adjusting unless using one of the All Metal modes)
Colours changed to my personal preference.

2. FMP Park
This is a "hot" program to use on land. It offers maximum depth in average junky areas (like most parks away from picnic tables) but you will get falsing if RX is too high for the area and it gives a lot of info so its not a "Beep - Dig" type of program.

Start with the program Fox's Max Performance - 10"DD (hence FMP)
Sensitivity All Metal = 80
Search Audio = Mixed Metal Mode (unless junky area then change to Discrimination)
SAT = 25
Recovery = 80
VDI tones = -95 tone 80, -94 to -31 tone 0, -32 to +0 tone 5, +1 to +12 tone 112, +13 to +24 tone 150, +25 to +51 tone 178, +52 to +64 tone 200, +65 to +94 tone 250 (These tone changes are just my preference and are standardised over all programs that use them).

3. FMP Salt
This is the same as FMP Park but with the salt settings selected. Works well with the 10"DD on the beach in dry and wet but I also use it for the Super 12 just because I'm too lazy to change a program to suit that coil.

Start with FMP Park.
Ground Filter = 7.5Hz Bandpass
Transmit Frequency = Salt
Ground Tracking Soil = Salt
Bottle Cap Reject = 2

4. Magics Pro
I use unchanged apart from site selective settings. BEWARE you only want to use this one in a very clean area, any junk will have you tearing your hair out. But it is a very deep program.

Any changes to settings should be made for your own personal preference - for example Ed likes to have a faster recovery at 45 compared to my 80 and Fox's 105. Find out what you like by experimenting one setting at a time.

Edited by user Friday, 22 February 2013 9:15:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

andy  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 7:54:11 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
well...that seems prety straight forward.....lol
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 7:56:44 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: andy Go to Quoted Post

Yes quite enlightening really.
:-))

Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 7:56:48 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Originally Posted by: andy Go to Quoted Post

Don't worry - I'll be getting you onto that machine sometime soon! :)
andy  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 8:28:38 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

think i should stick to the ace for now its automatic hahaha
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Ed Harding  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 8:46:24 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Shilo that was an awesome post, wish it was around when I first got the V3i.

I totally agree, 1 change at a time is the only way to learn otherwise you are going to be getting so confused.
The one sure thing you find out about the V3i the more you learn the more you find out there is to learn.

There are times when I will hunt with a recovery delay of 140 especially when I'm using the 6x4 shooter, if I want to make sure I'm getting the good stuff in a really trashy area.

cheers ed
Equipment Whites V3i with a DX1 probe.
Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

expat  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 8:54:18 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Dammit I want one of those. My dream machine, hopefully I may be able to pick one up secondhand when I go to UK this winter.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 9:08:21 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Yeah Ed, its a detector that a beginner can use (beep - dig) with only the factory programs but will always grow with you. Don't think I will ever learn it completely inside out!

The post above and any replies below are in a way testing myself and trying to clarify what I've learnt. So please any corrections, comments, ideas, tips etc are more then welcome. For example:

Beware of Recovery Delay. As I understand it the slower the recovery (higher recovery delay setting) the deeper targets it will pick up on because the processor has more time to work on it - as well as our heads. But a slower recovery will mean that adjacent targets can be masked (effects target separation). With the DD or other large coils (950 etc) a high recovery delay setting will mean deeper targets will be noticed in a clean area but a lot of targets missed in a junky area. Now I know the smaller the coil = the higher the recovery delay needed because a small coil has greater target separation anyway. Thus for a site specific setting the recovery delay should be adjusted to how much junk is around in proportion to the size of the coil used.

Off to down some pain killers with a whisky chaser after that....

Edited by user Friday, 22 February 2013 9:09:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ed Harding  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 9:42:34 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Quote "Thus for a site specific setting the recovery delay should be adjusted to how much junk is around in proportion to the size of the coil used." Quote

Shilo, this is so true. If I'm detecting a trashy site I will start with a lower recovery delay and adjust it upwards until I'm happy with the degree of separation. When you determine what is a good setting for that site and coil the next thing to work on is your swing speed. When it all fits together it feels so good.
The one thing we haven't covered is the ground balance; all the best settings will not do their job if the unit doesn't have the best GB you can get. Often I will do a second GB after a minute or so of doing the initial GB just to get it that little bit better, sometimes it's as good as I'll get it the first time. I think you have more leeway with the settings than you do with the ground balance.

Cheers ed

Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 9:59:39 PM(UTC)
Shilo

And Ground Balance is one thing I am struggling / concerned about. I normally have Autotrac engaged and do a manual ground balance as soon as I start off but find that it still drifts over time. Found it helps to press the Menu button when putting the detector down and digging a target but even then it still can drift between targets so I'm in the habit of manual GB'ing after every few digs anyway (sometimes its not needed but surprisingly often it balances out) .

I'm currently playing around with the Autotrac speed to see how this effects it. This is site specific as well & in theory as the more changes in ground mineralisation the faster the tracking speed needed so its taking some fiddling around to get right. I don't want to use Locktrac as it kinda defeats the purpose of having Autotrac. I am also wondering if the RX gain has an effect since I normally run the detector fairly hot (around 13 in good areas) but have noticed a lower setting leads to less GB drift.
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 10:12:23 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
Dammit I want one of those. My dream machine, hopefully I may be able to pick one up secondhand when I go to UK this winter.

Expat, With a V3i you will defiantly learn a lot about how every detector works. Most machines do the same as all the jargon above, but they are set and can not be adjusted. With the V3i just about anything can be adjusted if you want and thus can be customised to any particular ground situation. It's a fun one to use.

And it even contains Easter Eggs! (the software writers humour - hit the secret sequences of keys & it will play different tunes).
Ed Harding  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 10:14:55 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Shilo, I don't experience drift to any great extent, I think because I have a Sunray DX-1 target probe. As soon as I put down my unit I switch from the V3i coil to the DX-1 which in effect is a 1 inch coil for pinpointing. When I finish the dig and set to hunt again I switch back to the unit coil and at the same time pull the pinpoint trigger about 3-4 times this seems to get me back to where I was before going to the DX-1.

Perhaps as the coil is sitting at an oblique angle to the ground while you are digging is causing it to drift because auto track is now tracking some ground and some air.

Just my thoughts.

cheers ed
Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

andy  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 10:17:01 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

garrett ace250 has the best programs...step 1..turn on.
step 2..swing.
step 3..find stuff..
ehh simple machine for a simple mind lol.
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 10:22:51 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: Ed Harding Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps as the coil is sitting at an oblique angle to the ground while you are digging is causing it to drift because auto track is now tracking some ground and some air.
Just my thoughts.
cheers ed

Yeah, that's why I have got into the habit of pressing the menu key before putting down. This disengages the processor from ground tracking (it thinks you want to make a program change and doesn't read the coil). But the drift still happens whilst actively hunting. I'm sure has to do with my settings (track speed) - it doesn't do it anywhere as much with the factory programs....
Ed Harding  
Posted : Friday, 22 February 2013 10:32:21 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Shilo, I'm using a track speed of 15 and 0 off set. With report and inhibit X'd.
What settings are you using?
Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

Ed Harding  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 6:30:01 AM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Shilo, just have been checking my notes Carl from whites says that if you find that your ground balance is often off then you need to increase your track speed. If the V3i seems to be noisy as the loop is swept over the ground and you are sure it's not due to targets, then the track speed is too high.
If you are using OFFSET:
To the positive side, then a properly ground balanced detector will have a positive responce to mineralization.
To the negative side, then a properly ground balances detector will have a 'NULL" audio response to mineralization. This is usually undesirable because it can mask faint target responces.
Conversely, giving the GB a little bit of positive offset can prevent masking. The default setting is 0.

cheers ed

Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 10:17:23 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Thanks Ed, yes as I suspected - I need to play around with that track speed a bit more. Currently I have it set at 20 as standard in all my programs. Did Carl say that the noisy sweep for too high a track speed can be heard using Discrimination Audio (via the Threshold) or can it only be picked out with the All metal audios? Reason I'm wondering is that it might only show up in Dis Audio as falsing?

My offsets are set to 0 as standard. I do play around with them a lot when I find that GB can not be obtained - normally on the beach around black sand or in high EMI situations (I've got high tension power lines above my house thus the EMI level is ridiculous in the backyard). But even in the worse situations I find that the Offset only has to be moved to the max of +/-2 . If this minor adjustment doesn't work then its better to change the Frequency Offset as well and then if needed decrease RX Gain until GB can be obtained and in the case of EMI use TX Boost to make up for the lost depth.

Edited by user Saturday, 23 February 2013 10:37:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 10:27:25 AM(UTC)
Shilo

V3i Hardware modification.

The only thing I have found is needed is a battery strap. The battery compartment is a bit too tight for my fingers to grab the battery without laying the detector over and sliding it out. I saw the idea of a battery strap on another forum and found it surprisingly handy.

Strap is simply a long length of black electricians tape with a shorter length stuck to the middle with the sticky sides matching as the handle. I had to remove the small patch of foam on the battery compartments lid, the tape just folds under the lid when its closed and serves the same purpose. It springs back up when the lid is open allowing the battery to be easily removed. A very simple mod.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, 23 February 2013 10:28:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ed Harding  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 10:45:29 AM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Shilo I am at work now will check my notes when I get home around 4pm
Cheers ed

Edited by user Saturday, 23 February 2013 2:57:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

Ed Harding  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 3:16:17 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Shilo, here are Carl's advice about track speed.

"The tracking Speed selection adjusts the rate at which ground tracking is allowed to change. A faster speed (higher number) is useful
for ground that varies a lot over short distances, but can also be more subject to errors, especially in high-trash areas. Generally, use
the lowest setting your ground allows.
How do you determine a proper track speed? Occasionally check the ground balance using the test. (using these steps: lift the loop a foot off the
ground, pull the trigger to put V3i in pinpoint mode, then lower the loop to the ground, making sure you are not over a target. In most
ground, the pinpoint threshold level should remain constant (unless you have implemented a track offset) as the loop is lowered to the
ground. In severe mineralization, a lift-off effect can cause an abrupt threshold change in the last inch or so, and this is difficult to balance
out.
)
If you find that the balance is often off, then increase the track speed. However, if V3i seems to be noisy as the loop is swept over the ground and you’re sure it’s not due to targets, then the track speed may be too high. (Carl doesn't say, but I imagine he is refering to normal search mode.) Some users prefer to use a slight amount of offset in their ground balance. If the Offset control is set to the positive side, then a properly ground-balanced detector will still give a positive response to mineralization. If the Offset control is set to the negative side, then a properly ground-balanced detector will have a “null” audio response to mineralization.
The latter is usually undesirable because it can mask faint target responses.
Conversely, giving the ground balance a little bit of positive offset can prevent masking.
The default setting is 0."

cheers ed

Edited by user Saturday, 23 February 2013 3:18:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

2 Pages12>