New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 February 2011 9:26:02 AM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
YO" FELLARS--CHECK THIS OUT !!!!
If it works, it could be very handy !!!

http://www.gold-rus.com/Gold/Microwave-Gold-Kiln-Kit.html"
===============================================
Here is a couple of explanatory links, if your interested?

http://goldsucker.com/blog/?p=26
http://home.c2i.net/metaphor/mvpage.html

NOTE: As to the Kilns fiber insulation material.
There is available in N.Z. a building block called ? (YTONG) or something like that.
These blocks are very "Light", and also capable of withstanding a hell of a temperature, and, they can be cut with an ordinary "HANDSAW".
Might just save a couple of bucks?

"KIWIJW" should be able to help with the the correct name of the blocks, and also who supplys them ?.

Have "Fun"
Cheers===Colin.

Edited by user Thursday, 24 February 2011 8:54:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzgold  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 February 2011 10:39:55 AM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I may be missing something here, and if that is the case, excuse my ignorance, But i thought that The microwave worked by emitting microwaves which excite the H2O molecules in your food, which causes friction between the particles in the food, producing heat. Gold has no H2O in it, so how does it work?
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 February 2011 2:13:11 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello NZGOLD.

Regarding your comment above:

It seems as if you did not go to the links supplied before commenting on this process! : )

If thats the case, then I srongly suggest that you visit them, as this will increase your understanding of the actions that are performed within the microwave oven when used to melt metals. ( When used in this way,it works similar to an "Induction" type metal furnace.

Cheers and Regards---Colin.

Edited by user Wednesday, 23 February 2011 2:16:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzgold  
Posted : Thursday, 24 February 2011 10:21:53 AM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Colin, yeah you're right. I've got a bad habit of skimreading stuff and I only visited one link. The second one is rather interesting.
If this does work it could be useful. As long as it doesn't blow up in your microwave lol :)
Thanks ;)
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 May 2011 6:10:03 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Very interesting indeed. I never find gold fine enough in the stream I work except in my hut paddock really to warrant this BUT you have got me well and truly interested as I have piles of quartz in which microscopic gold is diffused through, in some areas in quite considerable amounts. Currently I just break pieces up to swap as micromounts to rock collectors but now it could be worthwhile crushing it completely into sludge to extract the gold then using the process you have shared turn that gold into conical buttons as shown in the attachments.
I keep the gold in the hut paddock even if it is fine because it has not gone anywhere, shattered, sharp edged and crystalline with tiny magnetic microsperules in with it when it is panned. I keep this finer material in bottles to perve at through a stereo microscope as it is fascinating to see the crystalline shapes, other pieces that looks as though they have been poured, other pieces full of quartz and the microsperules which probably came form the meteor impact that spelled the end of the dinosaurs or the Mahuika impact.
I like this microwave idea and being one who likes to play with new ideas and toys you may have inspired me...probably end in disaster as I never did read instructions!
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 1:56:46 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I have been looking at the gold kilns, but this takes that cake! I love that idea! just not the price... Could this be recreated using ones own materials... i.e. fire brick and such?

Edited by user Wednesday, 3 August 2011 1:58:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 5:32:15 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
If you understand the principles and can build stuff you could probably put one together. You could also end up cooking your testicles if you didn't build it correctly.

Edited by user Wednesday, 3 August 2011 6:22:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 8:48:18 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
LOL
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
gcoo029  
Posted : Friday, 14 October 2011 10:37:12 AM(UTC)
gcoo029

Originally Posted by: criticol Go to Quoted Post
YO" FELLARS--CHECK THIS OUT !!!!
If it works, it could be very handy !!!

NOTE: As to the Kilns fiber insulation material.
There is available in N.Z. a building block called ? (YTONG) or something like that.
These blocks are very "Light", and also capable of withstanding a hell of a temperature, and, they can be cut with an ordinary "HANDSAW".
Might just save a couple of bucks?

"KIWIJW" should be able to help with the the correct name of the blocks, and also who supplys them ?.

Have "Fun"
Cheers===Colin.

Thanks for that Colin. I have read all of the articles and they make sense. Am I right in thinking that the most important ingredient in this process is the flux? Seems building a furnace is easy but the flux is what allows the microwave to generate the incredible heat that the metal needs to melt?

Cheers

Greg Cook
CZNZ  
Posted : Saturday, 12 November 2011 9:53:01 AM(UTC)
CZNZ

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Greg,
The last website says " The crucial discovery, made during extended tests with various susceptors - materials which heat up when exposed to microwaves - was that two substances, graphite and magnetite, working together were required to achieve the kind of heating we were looking for."
so it may well require black sand as well as the flux, the flux process is the same as that used in the fire assay process see
http://nevada-outback-ge...eference_pages/assay.htm
The flux is more than likely a flux mixture with carbon, carbon conducts the electric arc generated by the iron ore (magnetite/black sand) and this generates the high temperatures required to smelt gold and silver.
I have a lot of quartz that may contain silver and gold wonder if it would work on this, but crushing this stuff is a mission.

I know that testing labs charge $200 for an assay and then they keep your gold as well, thats a fire assay followed by the removal of lead leaving silver and gold.

oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 12 November 2011 10:22:22 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Yeah. Quartz is a bugger. I recall a method of soaking it in something (vinegar?) for some time makes it easier to work with. I'll have a hunt through my bookmarks. Might have made a note of it - will have to wait for all my crap to arrive in the container to find it.

oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 12 November 2011 10:40:50 AM(UTC)
oroplata

It's slowly coming back. Heat the quartz in an oven, then drop it into cold water to shock it.

Be sure not to breathe in Quartz dust - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

Edited by user Saturday, 12 November 2011 11:37:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling correction