New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

HistorySeeker  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 7:55:28 PM(UTC)
HistorySeeker

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am keen to get started, i like coins and old history, what device should i get?
Do i need a sand scoop?
can i use it in our reserves?...
Cheers, Ian
CTX 3030, Deteknix Wader Pointer
Gold rings: 6
Silver:4
andy  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 8:48:41 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
i use a garrett ace 250 fids coins prety good and was cheap but the control box isnt water proof.iv used a mates at pro and its also a good machine if i had to start again id go the ATpro.
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 9:22:32 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HistorySeeker Go to Quoted Post
I am keen to get started, i like coins and old history, what device should i get?
Do i need a sand scoop?

Ian in your list of possibles I would suggest a Minelab X- Terra 705 .
Waterproof coil. Great for beach or park.
Can be used for either general detecting or Prospecting for Gold.

Check out www.detectnz.co.nz

:-)
MK

Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 8 April 2013 9:40:43 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HistorySeeker Go to Quoted Post
Do i need a sand scoop?

There are many options, but to get whats best for you means you will need to ask yourself:

Whats your budget for the detector & for total of all equipment?
Where in NZ are you from? I.e. are you going to be mainly hunting parks, beaches, goldfields etc?
Do you plan on detecting in the water?

The more you can afford the better the detector will be, but a detector that costs twice as much as another option will not find you twice as many good targets.

If you are planing on hitting the salt water beaches then you will need a detector that can handle salt conductivity in the wet sand. These are normally the high priced detectors (multi frequency) but there are a few mid priced detectors that are reasonable in the salt.

If you are planning on hunting in the water then yes you will need a long handled sand scoop ($250-300). You will also need a water proof detector which will cost more. The AT Pro is the cheapest one I know of that will do the job.
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 April 2013 10:03:27 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Even when starting out I'd suggest not going with the base unit. Sure the Garrett ACE 250 and it's bigger brother the 350 are great machines much like the Fisher F2. If you're going cheap I'd take the F2 over an ACE but that's my opinion.

You are better to spend that bit more and get The Garrett AT-PRO (Waterproof to about 3 metres)or the Fisher F4 something you can ground balance and grow with as you get better also the Minelab Xterra 705 is a cool machine.
Basically go with a good brand - the quality is more consistent but don't go bottom of the barrel.

Some of the people with the Chinese ones do ok but in general most people on here will have a Fisher (group) - Garrett - Minelab or Whites machine, there are of course other good brands just not as accessible over here.

Big thing to remember is leave some space in the budget for a Pin-pointer really the two main contenders would be the Garrett Pro-pointer and the Minelab Pro-Find 25. I started off without a pin-pointer and now I wouldn't bother going detecting without one.

No doubt by now you are seeing a pattern here and all the advice from everyone so far is good!
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 April 2013 12:29:10 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Lots of different DIY scoops on you tube - I've started getting some bits together to make one.
If it does an ok job and I enjoy the water hunting I'll buy a good one or have one made.

Detecting is a lot of fun and is a great hobby for many different reasons, the history, exercise, thrill of the find etc.
Not many hobbies that pay for themselves but you have to invest the time getting to know where to look and of course learning your machine.
Turtle  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 April 2013 10:19:55 PM(UTC)
Turtle

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
One thing I found at Mitre 10, which may be useful to other beach goers, is nylon trowels and scoop. a couple of slightly different ones, but they are solid nylon, including the handle. they're around the $5 mark.
I'm trialling them out at the moment, and haven't managed to break them yet, in both wet and dry sand, so will see how they last.
wouldn't be much chop for those digging in parks, but looks good for the beach so far.
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 April 2013 9:16:35 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi Historyseeker. Dont let the lads confuse you, if you want an all round mean machine purchase a Garrett Ace 350. A great allround machine, basically turn on and go. Works well on the beach and can reach some amazing depths thru the sand. A mini shovel will probably be better than a sand scoop.

Edited by user Wednesday, 10 April 2013 9:17:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: HDDD. High Definition Detecting Disorder

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 April 2013 11:14:35 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi Historyseeker - I recommend a Fisher F2 3 coil package, a Lesche & a Garrett Pro Pointer as your first investment - When and if you do outgrow the F2 they make an ideal second unit & their resell value holds well -

You will find the F2 easier to use than the Ace150/250 IMHO and there is also a wealth of information on youtube regard this model -

The 4" coil is the dux nuts in trashy areas and the 10" concentric coil will go as deep, if not deeper than the 11"DD coil that everyone seems to get sucked into buy - of course the standard 8" coil will hit on coins relatively deep as well - I can assure you the F2 will not dissapoint -

Knowing what I know now after about 15 months of this addiction, I would definately started with a F2 (I did) and held onto it for life (gosh I miss that wee detector lol) - It's still the only one so far I could almost bet the house on what I knew I was digging up -

The only downside I dislike about the Garretts Ace series are those bloody bell tones - I keep racing for the door when I get a target - bloody embarrassing thing to do in public lol

Anyways goodluck with your choice and Happy Hunting ;)

Edited by user Wednesday, 10 April 2013 11:15:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder