New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 6:35:40 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Gentlemen I have a problem... No not one that clears up with penicillin but gold related.
I have access to a claim that has lots of flood gold but the river there is deep and slow.How do I process paydirt without the use of motorised gear(highbankers,that sort of thing) as the owner is very clear that he doesn't want any motorised gear used?
A sluice box would be next to useless and panning would take forever.

Any theories?
NUGGY  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 7:01:38 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi Overdog, A banjo might work if you know what these are - a sluice box with top end blocked off, you have it on the bank with discharge end pointed at you - shovel into the top of box and throw water up onto the gravel, bit of an art to work them well but lot faster than panning. Should be able to google a picture, or find one in a gold mining book. A cradle is another possibility and might be better at retaining fine gold, but slower throughput. I'll probably think of something else less obvious eventually and get back to you.
NUGGY
overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 7:19:57 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Cheers Nuggy-I had played around with the idea of a hopper on top of my sluice box that washed gravel in the box but would have to classify down pretty fine...
gogold  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 8:05:12 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
maybe build a cradle? theyre pretty simple to use. or else walk untill you find a small side creek you can set up in.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 8:55:37 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Maybe you could convert your sluice to something like this still looks pretty slow but mite work. www.youtube.com/watch?NR...LI&feature=endscreen
lucky01  
Posted : Sunday, 12 May 2013 9:47:57 PM(UTC)
lucky01

New Zealand

hi there why not try a gravity dredge systew get some 110 dia ag drain you can get one that is smooth inside in 30 meter coils works really well as long as you can get a bit of fall back to your sluice box costs around $170 for 30 meters.
Jd  
Posted : Saturday, 25 May 2013 11:52:54 AM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have the same problem and I was thinking about a 12 volt bulge pump or is that regarded as motorised what do you think jd
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 26 May 2013 9:34:02 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Hi jd- had a quick look today and its not too far 2 push a wheelbarrow to some fast water.

Good idea with the pump tho-mite have to give that a go...

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 27 May 2013 12:21:04 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
gingerbread that looks like something i could put on my sluce...lol
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Jd  
Posted : Monday, 27 May 2013 6:23:31 PM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hay overdog
I run some pvc tubing from a local creek above the area down hill run and it worked perfect spent all day in sandy conditions and got some nice gold for my efforts the wheel barrow is also a great idea I use that too just got back I'm thinking about making a portable sluice with a bulge pump mini dredge it would get some use has anyone tried that before Ill have to work out what's the biggest 12 vt bulge is available and how long it would run for research time jd
richmanpoorman  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 June 2013 10:30:45 PM(UTC)
richmanpoorman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I built up a highbanker like hopper for my sluice box with various sized grids, big gravel falls out the front to waste with finer gravel and sand going down the sluice. I have it set up on the river bank on an angle close to a water source and just bucket water and gravel in as required, hard work but faster than panning. Works well for the the concentration of iron sand in the clutha river.

richman