New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 16 May 2013 9:06:25 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
A friendly detecting tip to help you out.

Your buzzing along the beach and all of a sudden your detector goes crazy bouncing around all signals and it wont stop no matter what you do.

A. Most probably powerlines. They can be above or below ground. They may be some distance away but they will upset your detecting. Move to another spot.

B. Flat batteries.

C. A pile of Treasure and GOLD beyond imagine.

D. Another detector close to you.

E. Electric fence.

Safe hunting out there.

Edited by user Saturday, 18 May 2013 12:03:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Update.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 16 May 2013 9:39:22 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
To determine if A, hold the detector out at waist level and slowly turn around. This will point out where the source of the EMI is and you can move in the opposite direction. Faulty air conditioning units are my pet hate for EMI causes! Depending on the detector - changing coils, frequency (if able), and lowering sensitivity will all help combat it. DD coils are bad in EMI so change to a concentric if you have one, also the smaller the coil the less it is effected.

B. Swap out with the spares you are carrying. You are carrying spare batteries aren't you?

C. Slowly move away from the site and head home. Once there send me a PM of the location and I will remove the problem for you so you will be able to hunt in that location again.

D. Tape a coin to the bottom of the others coil without them knowing. They will then think their detector is stuffed and not only stop interfering with yours but also leave any treasures they haven't found for you.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 16 May 2013 10:05:12 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
hahaaaa
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 16 May 2013 9:20:36 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Clearly if it was Shane detecting the answer is C - A pile of Treasure and GOLD beyond imagine.
To expand on this the treasure would most likely be a lovely young ladies naval ring and the reason for the repeated signal is because he was to busy gawking he forgot to move away!

Mystery solved *8^)

Edited by user Thursday, 16 May 2013 9:22:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: liddle stuff up

albertdigger  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 12:17:09 PM(UTC)
albertdigger

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
or a leaking fisher 11"dd coil
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 1:09:41 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Great reply. I will be sure to let you know when its a big stash of treasure.
I once saw a guy with a Garrett seahunter coming up the beach, 20 plus meters away my detector went off so i couldnt use it while his was switched on. Ive come across power lines 3 or 4 times and had to move away, thems the breaks.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
greentater  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 8:09:14 PM(UTC)
greentater

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I snuck out for a detect the other day with my 5000 up in the Coromandel and the damn thing was going crazy. I thought I had abused it one time too many because it seemed to have developed an intermittent fault. I gave up in disgust and later downstream of my intended fossick area decided to change coils and do 'due diligence' and low and behold it was working as advertised with either coil (minus the nuggets generally advertised as results of course). I went back up to the previous area and had an explore and there was a dairy farm a few hundred metres away through the bush.

Beware electric fences!!

Having said that I have a great deal of trouble differentiating tones with the 5000. I have tried to use it on the local beach, not so bad with a double coil however the mono will work pretty good on the salt setting however there are a billion hits. It's overwhelming and I have a collection of over a squillion bottle caps now.

Is there another GPX 5000 owner out there willing to share some of their skills with me please? I only ever used it for finding gold in WA and that was pretty straight forward.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 9:48:02 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi I had a 4500 for a wile and carnt rember if I got this info from the DVD or if it was in pamflit but seemly with power lines or other Eletric interference you were supposed to point the coil at it and let it ballence...anyone else tryd that ?
Those gpx,s are wicked units I hadn't used a detector b4 I got that sold it a wile back then a few days ago I borrowed a gb2 and that is a totally different very noisey with hot rocks I'd say be easy to miss gold with it as always making noise compared to the super quite gpx which if u waved it over a hot rock would signal 1c then cancel it out straight away makes you appreciate a good detector that's for sure !

Edited by user Friday, 17 May 2013 10:00:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 8:46:37 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Electric fences are annoying and can take some time to figure out. I usually turn the sensitivity down, buzz along quickly to make sure theres not a mega hit lying there in waiting, and proceed when out of range.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:06:20 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Even more annoying is that I can tune electric fences out with the V3i. Why is that annoying? Because I forget and invariably end up touching it.......

Edited by user Saturday, 18 May 2013 6:04:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 12:07:49 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Now thats a case of self infliction, buzzy.
I have added to the list accordingly E. Electric fence.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz