New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 2:28:33 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Anybody else come across this-Why do I get a signal from a raised bit of bedrock?
Just to clarify-if there are 2 crevices close together I usually get a signal in all metal from the high point inbetween the cracks and in some areas I will just give up because I get a tone from every high point.And yes I have spent many a frustrating hour bashing the shit out of the rock just in case but never got anything from a signal like that.
Ground balance is good and threshold is smooth.
I'm starting to doubt the coil at this point-5 inch on a Bug DP.
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 2:49:25 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
hi overdog,

i've got the GB2. i find there are 2 reasons for this.

first is the orientation of the rock itself. if there is some schist pushed up or creviced with a "V" thru it the detector is in fact picking up this depression. depending on what is in the rock in terms of minerals the reaction by the detector can sometimes be extreme. over time i have picked this up from experience. often when i'm in the right ground i can now pick up hidden "V"s, i.e.. crevices in the bedrock that are covered in a light covering of gravels.

secondly, the signal is actually gold. i've gotten bits in bedrock where i've struggled to even see a crack to break up to look in for the gold.
if you've got a nugget in a good crevice the second sure can bounce about a bit. this is where a pinpointer would help. sure would save time against digging down past the gold.

or you got a dodgy gold bug. there seems to be a few dodge coils around. get a GB2. they take the knocks the digital ones never will.

under the bedrock  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 11:32:39 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
i get the same from my gold bug esp at the beach (the gold bug is shit at the beach wet sand anyway imo),every depression gives off a sound ,like you i dug all these thinking it may be a target but now i dont bother,I sometimes wonder how many i have missed,It does it on 5 inch and 11 inch coils
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 19 May 2013 12:01:17 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Mine only does it on raised bits-not depressions or crevices.Can the high points be like hot rocks?