New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 9 June 2013 9:47:34 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Howdy all.

I know some people have mentioned that they can't get the light right for taking pics of their finds.
Well today I found a gadget that doesn't do a bad job. I have only taken a few shots with it and haven't played around with the camera settings so no doubt you can get them even better.

The gadget was found at one of those $2 type shops and cost the big $5 so was worth a shot, it's actually called a pole light.
put your camera lens through the hole and your away works with cell phones as well.

Yes I am now aware my desk needs a clean *8^)

Pics are re sized to either 15% or 25% of the original - finds were from today, nothing special.

Edited by user Sunday, 9 June 2013 9:55:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Guardian attached the following image(s):
pole light.JPG
IMG_7447b.jpg
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 9 June 2013 11:25:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I want to see first hand how this thing works hint hint...however I think you got the spelling wrong - my mum once told me that I am not a very pole light person sometimes although I think there might be another way to spell it as I clearly remember the light bulb breaking in the toilet and my mum leaving a wee note saying 'Please put the new Po light in.'

Edited by user Sunday, 9 June 2013 11:27:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cluthapete  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 June 2013 6:29:12 PM(UTC)
cluthapete

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members in Lawrence (Nov 2012)Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Any more updates and did you get it locally ?
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 June 2013 6:43:17 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
That should work out well especially if suspended 6" or so above the item. Was thinking you should chop the base and top off a clear plastic bottle and just put the light on top of the tube with the item in the middle? Another idea - with silver coins try putting them against a black mat background (black paper or similar) as they come up real nice against the dark.

My Pentax camera has led lights set in around the lens for the same sort of effect, it used to be good until I crushed it during a ring recovery crawling under the ladies veranda :(
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 June 2013 10:53:26 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Google street view still shows a pet shop at the location so I'm not sure of the name of the place but I'll have a look next time I go past, it's in Dunedin.

I had a go at enlarging the centre hole so the unit fits around my lens, next step will be to put a strip of draft stop or similar to make it fit snug and not scratch my lens barrel. I haven't got a macro lens so these shots were taken at max zoom (75mm) using the macro setting on my camera you can't choose focus point so pictures of a single item would be better also my lens looses sharpness towards the edges (after all it is for portraits).

That's the absolute closest I can get with my current gear but the crop looks ok.
But that's neither here nor there as the idea was to show a cheap lighting system where colours aren't bad and pretty minimal shadows.

Edited by user Wednesday, 19 June 2013 12:06:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cluthapete  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 June 2013 11:07:19 PM(UTC)
cluthapete

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members in Lawrence (Nov 2012)Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Here is a link to a macro tutorial I read this afternoon . Very informative http://coinimaging.com/photography.html
Heaps on You Tube showing extension tubs and reverse rings etc. Saves buying a dedicated macro lens
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 June 2013 11:27:10 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Cheers for that, like anything it's practice I guess.