New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

HeavyD  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 June 2013 7:36:03 PM(UTC)
HeavyD

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi Everyone.

I have recently gotten really interested in gold fossicking, and started learning about some gold collecting techniques. I have been given about 30 litres of concentrate from some equipment getting repaired by a local engineer to have a play with. I only have a gold pan at this point and from what I can tell (bear in mind I’m a rookie) there seems to be a good amount of fine gold in it. My question is how is the best way to process this amount of concentrate? Am I going to have to pan the whole lot? And how much really fine gold can I catch with panning?

Thanks in advance for any info.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 June 2013 8:28:00 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi heavyd
awhile back I posted a photo of my sluice box setup at home cant find it on the forum or my computer
but what I have is a long sluice box fixed to the wall of my shed I put the garden hose in one end for water flow the box has no riffles but some coarse matting or grass as known in the trade I just trickle the concentrate in the top end and let it work very slowly to do 30lts would take me a couple of hours but still quicker than panning at the end I wash the mat and end up normally with a pan full to pan
make sure the flow is low so as not to flush all the gold through and don't put to much in at once keep and eye on the matt half way down the box if there is colour there you are putting to much through or the water flow is to high
the box is made of wood nothing fancy and is about 1.5m long
need any other imfo give me a yell
richmanpoorman  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 June 2013 9:20:34 PM(UTC)
richmanpoorman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi all
The rubber ribbed matting is quite good for concentrate,take it slow and reprocess any 'waste' agin to make sure no fine gold got thru. If the concentrate has iron (magnetic) sand in it a magnet waved over the top as it goes down the sluice can help speed things up to reduce the volume of concentate.

Dont rush!

Richmanpoorman
HeavyD  
Posted : Thursday, 13 June 2013 1:16:52 PM(UTC)
HeavyD

New Zealand

Thanks for the advice guys, Richmanpoorman, where could I buy the matting from?

Cheers
richmanpoorman  
Posted : Thursday, 13 June 2013 9:38:52 PM(UTC)
richmanpoorman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi HeavyD

I got my rubber matting from Para rubber awhile ago. I think payless plastics or mitre ten might have it too. I have seen the 'miners moss' rubber matting at mitre ten also.

Cheers Richmanpoorman
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 13 June 2013 10:16:51 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
The ribbed carpet they use for boats is good to if there is black sand present which there probably is seen as how its cons ur wanting to run I would think it better than the rubber Matt
File Attachment(s):
latch  
Posted : Thursday, 13 June 2013 11:34:25 PM(UTC)
latch

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
interesting i have a bit of this as i just finished up at a boat shop and kept all the scraps for making car/boot mats looks like i found a better use for it,cheers
fiend hard and find all
HeavyD  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 4:47:28 PM(UTC)
HeavyD

New Zealand

Thanks for the advice. I went for the boat type synthetic carpet, then used a fridge magnet to remove most of the iron sand and managed to get a lot of the other fine stuff out just gently swirling the pan. I have included a couple of picks of what I have got out so far, can anyone advise me on how clean what I have got is and if I could expect to clean it up further? cheers

Fines1
[/img]Fines
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 5:19:44 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Well, it looks a lot cleaner than when "Dakota Fred" weighs his gold.

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 7:31:09 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
It does look pretty clean if you can still see a bit of sand in amongst it simply blow on it gently most of the lighter stuff will blow away leaving the heavy gold
HeavyD  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 8:36:03 PM(UTC)
HeavyD

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

Well, it looks a lot cleaner than when "Dakota Fred" weighs his gold.

Ha ha ha. I noticed he always seems to have half rock half gold. He needs one of those awesome turbo trommels like Todd.
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 10:08:13 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Originally Posted by: HeavyD Go to Quoted Post

Ha ha ha. I noticed he always seems to have half rock half gold. He needs one of those awesome turbo trommels like Todd.

Yeah , that turbo trommel saved the day. Not.

If they hadn't had Mitch along with them they'd have had another loser year, especially since Todd is both stupid and an egomaniac.

First, they have the big blue beast up and running, but no dirt to run through it, and over at the other site they've got stockpiles of dirt and no machine. Sigh. Truck some across you idiots! I was screaming.

And then all these times they find they're "losing half of their gold out the back end of the sluice".

Gaa. You haven't lost it, you idiots, it's on the ground accumulating somewhere. For chrissakes go find it, and put it back through the machine! $10 says some of the locals sneaked back onto their claim after they'd left for the winter, and scooped all the gold out of their tailing race.

Now you've got me started.

HeavyD  
Posted : Sunday, 16 June 2013 10:41:44 PM(UTC)
HeavyD

New Zealand

I know right, its hair pulling watching that guy. I think Todd had something to do with setting the whole series up so I assume he is being an idiot on purpose for ratings, surely no one is that useless?
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 17 June 2013 6:49:59 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: HeavyD Go to Quoted Post

Yeah , that turbo trommel saved the day. Not.

If they hadn't had Mitch along with them they'd have had another loser year, especially since Todd is both stupid and an egomaniac.

First, they have the big blue beast up and running, but no dirt to run through it, and over at the other site they've got stockpiles of dirt and no machine. Sigh. Truck some across you idiots! I was screaming.

And then all these times they find they're "losing half of their gold out the back end of the sluice".

Gaa. You haven't lost it, you idiots, it's on the ground accumulating somewhere. For chrissakes go find it, and put it back through the machine! $10 says some of the locals sneaked back onto their claim after they'd left for the winter, and scooped all the gold out of their tailing race.

Now you've got me started.

Hi guys, Oroplata. I have to agree with you 110%. Todd Hoffman was such a clown that I gave up watching the series. How can anyone be soooo stupid time & time again. I felt sorry for Dave.

HeavyD, You may be right in what you say about Todd Hoffman. Funny how the guys were all mortgaged to beyond the eyes balls, supposidly, & yet they rock up with all this new gear. If he was acting as an idiot so we could all shake our heads at the stupidity of it all then he would have to be making good money out of the show to portray himself to the world as such a clown.
Any way....on another note to do with your concentrates clean up. Be careful with the magnet as fine gold can & will get caught up in amongst the iron sands leaping up on to the magnet. Especially if you are getting a bunch of sands on to the magnet in one hit. Do the operation with the sands covered with water & wave the magnet over the sands from a distance so only a small amount at a time attract to the magnet. Hopefully any gold will drop away while the sands pass through the water. Have a look here at Hatters clean up sluice. Hopefully yours will look like this :)
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...0_The-Golden-Fleece.aspx

Good luck out there

JW :)
simon  
Posted : Monday, 17 June 2013 10:04:44 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
LOL. it can't be long til the next series of gold rush. can't wait to see how todd stuffs up in south america.. never seemed the practical type, just full of unthought out ideas.

i always laughed at fred's cleanups too. and i thought a couple of grains of quartz in the gold was bad enough. the funniest weighups were the little ones - still half debris instead of gold.

i would love to see some show swap arounds. maybe send todd up to greenland for some prospecting. or off to africa for jungle gold.

Regarding the concentrates cleanups (i've posted this before so will keep it brief), buy a little plastic clean up sluice. they have reccesed built in riffles in the one piece plastic moulding. hook up to a bucket and hose and you're off. run the cons thru twice and you should have all the gold, inc the fines.