New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

PatchyDrizzle  
Posted : Friday, 21 June 2013 3:09:11 PM(UTC)
PatchyDrizzle

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi all,

Thinking of heading up Tapawera way to the Tadmore river area to try a bit of panning with the wife, was wondering if anyone knows any easily accessible spots to try and find some color and garnets (the wife loves those things) of course i dont want to go anywhere we shouldnt be given the recent claim poaching i read about up that way. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curious not greedy :-)
Jd  
Posted : Saturday, 22 June 2013 1:00:58 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hay bud I was up their a while ago and as you head out of tapawera towards motueka turn left to the camping ground road go over the 1st bridge I think is motueka river and continue for about 10 minutes you come to I think its tadmore a small area with a few houses and a road junction you will see a bridge to your right and the road heads into the hills under the bridge is a good spot and up river too I have found a few flakes their good luck I don't think it under claim jd
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 22 June 2013 1:53:27 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Are you guys to lazy to actually look on the permit map ? for a start jd the location you described is on someones claim the same claim that was just in the news paper about poachers ...all this info at your fingertips and the same old I ''I think this or I think that'' use the freakn permit map that is what it is for.
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 22 June 2013 4:19:13 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jafa Go to Quoted Post
Are you guys to lazy to actually look on the permit map ? for a start jd the location you described is on someones claim the same claim that was just in the news paper about poachers ...all this info at your fingertips and the same old I ''I think this or I think that'' use the freakn permit map that is what it is for.

jafas correct about that area being the same place as mentioned to be poached a while back, but this is also the area where the locals have gone to fossick for the last 30years, some towny realised this put a claim on it then blamed poaching for his failure. most guys ive seen there have all been concentrated in the area 200m either side of the bridge as I think this was just a local unwritten rule as to not step upset landowners. also the sherry river about another 5min drive is excellent but I think this is now underclaim and the adjoining landowner loves to give chase/threaten anyone he finds prospecting there.
PatchyDrizzle  
Posted : Saturday, 22 June 2013 6:46:37 PM(UTC)
PatchyDrizzle

New Zealand

Hi again,

Thank you all for the reply, other than jafa who could have put his reply in a way that was less condescending. These forums are a great way to impart local knowlege to newbies and amateurs like myself. From this i can make a decision that prehaps it would be in the best interest for both myself and my wife to go to a public fossicking area (which are a lot less accessible) and have a play. As stated in my original post i was looking for a place that wouldn't be stepping on anyone toes and that i could drive to in a 2wd. The permit map that jafa points out shows that a permit is only for only part of the river. As i was unsure were the area was that people were poaching (obviously on said claim ) i decided to use the forum to try to gain some practical information. Using the map would have been way too hard, too lazy to do that, making a forum post is way easy r. Thank you to the other two commenters your contributions have been very helpfu
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 22 June 2013 8:33:16 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PatchyDrizzle Go to Quoted Post
Hi again,

Thank you all for the reply, other than jafa who could have put his reply in a way that was less condescending. These forums are a great way to impart local knowlege to newbies and amateurs like myself. From this i can make a decision that prehaps it would be in the best interest for both myself and my wife to go to a public fossicking area (which are a lot less accessible) and have a play. As stated in my original post i was looking for a place that wouldn't be stepping on anyone toes and that i could drive to in a 2wd. The permit map that jafa points out shows that a permit is only for only part of the river. As i was unsure were the area was that people were poaching (obviously on said claim ) i decided to use the forum to try to gain some practical information. Using the map would have been way too hard, too lazy to do that, making a forum post is way easy r. Thank you to the other two commenters your contributions have been very helpfu

GEEZ thanks other than me!...tell me if I hadn't have said what I did you and your wife could have left tadmore with the claim owners size 12,s wedged were the sun does not shine the claim owner had DOC and the police involved a wile back and the fact that a local to the area put you so wrong is bazar is it not????
for people to wander around "not pointing the finger at you''without even looking at a permit map is nothing short of total ignorance and should they get into strife over it will serve them rite .
Jd  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 7:52:30 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Well todd Hoffman we cant please everyone I been panning their for over 6 months and had no bother from no one and I was a newbi it was a local that took me their ( Hairy ned) im sure you know him a legin in these parts no cops or doc and it was a main road so go have some fun that's what its all about lifes to short to stress about the negitives jd (and theirs gold their)
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 9:09:56 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Jd Ur just the sort of fella that wrecks it for everyone else aren't you man what a shit attitude all very well for you your not the 1 having ur gold nicked .
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 9:23:37 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I agree with gingerbread you are a ARSEHOLE
with an attitude like yours someone needs to pull you down don't try the same on my claim or perhaps you will go down
just because a local says its alright you think it is yea right

mike is a good friend of mine (hes the one with the claim) no wonder hes pissed of when there are people like you around
PatchyDrizzle  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 10:52:56 PM(UTC)
PatchyDrizzle

New Zealand

Ok, thanks to EVERYONE for all your feedback, after some better research we have decided to borrow the inlaws 4x4 and go and check out the Howard (public area) and avoid any possible hassles with claim owners. Thanks once again and i apologize for any in fighting i may caused with my line of inquiry and im looking forward to reporting back with stories of massive nuggets and loads of flakes! (all panned out of a stream in a public area of course) Cheers :-)
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 11:07:10 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PatchyDrizzle Go to Quoted Post
Ok, thanks to EVERYONE for all your feedback, after some better research we have decided to borrow the inlaws 4x4 and go and check out the Howard (public area) and avoid any possible hassles with claim owners. Thanks once again and i apologize for any in fighting i may caused with my line of inquiry and im looking forward to reporting back with stories of massive nuggets and loads of flakes! (all panned out of a stream in a public area of course) Cheers :-)

hey the forum is here for people such as your self to ask a few questions I don't think any of the above is directed at you more so at at the looser who is practily advertising for people to go to someone else,s claim best not to take jd,s advice as you mite find your self in trouble as im sure he will 1 day...good luck with the prospecting.
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 23 June 2013 11:12:40 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Frig Keith

You wont see me there. Many have been there done that. Long before it was your claim, except me So who, well lets rattle of a few
names. Bob. Phil. The Leak.Reg, Tony. All very accomplished Dredgers. And it wasn't under Claim then. And DOC were a bit light on the ground in those days. And to be honest they didn't really care. Now things have kinda changed. Did you ever think about having a go in S Creek. closer
to home for you. I did an ounce there one day with a Suitcase Dredge 6 inch. But normal is about 2dwt a day. One day I snipped a 3dwt slug
with the eyeballs, was walking up the creek and there it was just underwater winking at me. We had lotsa fun in there. Thats when the hut was there. Me and my mate did it up. But alas hut now gone. Still a nice flat there to set up Camp. Sent a Hungarian bloke and his son in there, after I had tired of it. They did half an ounce for four days. I always
called S Creek. Tucker Money Creek. Now the gold price is a tad higher, well if I was just a little younger, I know where I would be.
And I reckon you know where it is you rascal. But I can't give any other clues, or there will be a gold rush.

When I get around to Tales of the Golden Buller, well you will see why I left the place behind. But often when the Buller flooded did go back in
for a wee play. Kind of a magic place really. But not in the winter. Bloody cold in that valley.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Jd  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 11:14:13 AM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Hay guys I am not here for a bitch sesh
I tried to help the fella and If I have given bad advice I am sorry You must agree with me that locals that go for gold go to that place I panned their for 6 months as a newbie and never saw the claim owner once if the locals are advertising it as the place to go in tap maybe you should educate as I asked before going their and 200 mtrs each side of the bridge was common Knowledge If I owned a claim I would be upset to see others on my claim so I agree their but you are on a main road and open to the public put a sign up would be a good start under the bridge I am not an ass we all started with little knowledge so don't loose any sleep over it and I wont advertise what a great place tap is jd
goldgrab2000  
Posted : Monday, 1 September 2014 2:04:56 PM(UTC)
goldgrab2000

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi guys

Was wondering if someone could email me the claim owners number..?
I have been told by locals that I can pan and sluice under the bridge but this is obviously not true.
I'm really keen to give this spot a go for a few days or longer if the claim owner will let me for a small daily rate.
I have a hand sluice, pan and metal detector...no motorized equipment.

Thanks

Dave