New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Mahuta  
Posted : Friday, 21 June 2013 7:16:58 PM(UTC)
Mahuta

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all
Am looking for advice on best buy metal detector for detecting gold in the back country where there is almost no chance of metal relics etc,ideally I want to use the detector for sampling gold rich deposits as well as nuggets then sluice through any material that looks promising ,my budget is 800- 1200 ish and I have done zero detecting before ,advice on best coil size and waterproof or not,needs to be fairly rugged and can they be broken down for ease of carrying would be really appreciated
I realise that detecting isn't as simple as picking it up and waving it around and some serious practice is needed which I intend to do ,already so much inspiration from members story's and photos so thanks for that
Cheers
Mahuta
Gold is where you find it.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 21 June 2013 7:49:56 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mahuta Go to Quoted Post
Hi all
Am looking for advice on best buy metal detector for detecting gold in the back country where there is almost no chance of metal relics etc,ideally I want to use the detector for sampling gold rich deposits as well as nuggets then sluice through any material that looks promising ,my budget is 800- 1200 ish and I have done zero detecting before ,advice on best coil size and waterproof or not,needs to be fairly rugged and can they be broken down for ease of carrying would be really appreciated
I realise that detecting isn't as simple as picking it up and waving it around and some serious practice is needed which I intend to do ,already so much inspiration from members story's and photos so thanks for that
Cheers
Mahuta

Hi Mahuta,

First off I should say I am a Minelab agent so am probably a bit biased. However for your budget you might like to check out
the X-Terra 705 Gold Pack NZ version in the Gold detectors section of www.detectnz.co.nz
Another option a little cheaper too would be the X-Terra 705 in the Treasure section of the site. Both these models can be switched between Prospecting and Coin , Relic detecting modes. There is a lot more info on the site. If you have any questions please just ask.

Chris
Metal Kiwi

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 12:07:31 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:15:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 7:22:41 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mahuta Go to Quoted Post
Hi all
Cheers
Mahuta

Check out the gold bugs just listed here. It is right on your budget & will find you gold if it is there. I know Russell & know he has found a good amount of gold with his used one. I have seen some of it.
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...-Detectors-for-sale.aspx

Good luck

JW :)

Mahuta  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 8:02:24 PM(UTC)
Mahuta

Man
New Zealand

Cheers JW
Yeah I saw those detectors for sale ,an honest price at the moment I am leaning towards the gold bug 2 or a X Terra 705 mainly from the consistently pretty good reviews I've seen ,a chap called Peter emailed me regarding a GB2 he had or sale but I couldn't reply due to the return address being in Chinese or an Asian language ,any one have any complaints regarding the two above detectors ?
Cheers
Tane
bittenbythebug  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 9:01:59 PM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Yeah buy from one of our local dealers, last thing you want is a Chinese copy/clone.
Mahuta  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 9:11:18 PM(UTC)
Mahuta

Man
New Zealand

I gotta say that as I work in Aussie half the year have had a good look at detectors over there and they seem to be a better price than Nz
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 11:11:06 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:16:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mahuta  
Posted : Monday, 24 June 2013 11:27:13 PM(UTC)
Mahuta

Man
New Zealand

Cheers for that sycotoad
Would much rather support a local seller if the price was right but some of them seem to take the piss a little ,even so would support a seller through paydirt in exchange for excellent support and maybe some instruction if local,I have the advantage of travelling to Aussie every 5 weeks so can bring back items that get shipped to a mates place in NSW ,this trip home bringing back a blue dog crevice sucker and a Recon AU plastic sluice ,and looking at the high banker hopper attachment for my A52 for the next trip
Still undecided on a brand new detector or good condition second hand ,
Mahuta
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 June 2013 10:12:31 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:16:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldstalker  
Posted : Friday, 28 June 2013 11:34:55 AM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
my AT pro found 0.15gram and 0.18gram pieces of gold, and i tested the same gold on a friends Ace 350 and it picked it up as good or better than my AT pro, depends on depth of target tho for thos small pices your looking at around 1 inch but im sure a 3-5 gram piece would be in the inches i will do some tests on nuggets, and let you know, theres a ace 350 on trademe now for only $400 great buy as there $680 new and it looks new. anyway goodluck in finding something to suite your needs. i would either get seconhand from nz or buy new from australia as price is better and not far to send for support if needed.
bedrock  
Posted : Friday, 28 June 2013 12:17:30 PM(UTC)
bedrock

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Mahuta

I chose an xterra 705 gold pack while faced with the same decisions as most first time detector buyers , I wanted a machine that was user friendly both at the gold fields and down the beach(when to cold to head to the mountains). It,s ability to find small gold has amazed me on many occasions. It.s light weightness and running on just 4x aa batteries were big pluses aqnd not to mention that there are numerous coil's available .The small, robust 18.75 kHz Double-D Elliptical coil which comes with the 705 gold pack is only water resistant splash proof , however minelab have a wee 6" double d fully water proof coil available , a magic coil for working the bedrock and small crevices.
I've had no regrets since purchasing mine and been using it for approx. 2 years now.
All the best with your decision and good luck out there.

Bedrock
kittyyang  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 July 2013 7:22:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: drive by spammer
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 July 2013 7:37:21 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)

Edited by user Tuesday, 2 July 2013 10:06:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spammer's full address removed

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 July 2013 9:56:56 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Couple comments: the disadvantage of buying used gear (Fishers anyway) is that the warranty does not transfer to a second owner. The plus side is of course that you can get a good detector for a good price. I can tell you that the two Gold Bugs Russell is selling are not Chinese knock offs (he got them from us), they are not very old, and he takes very good care of his equipment.
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 7:49:27 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:17:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 9:12:03 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Old Alibaba sells them and are about $500 NZ landed as you can talk them into samples instead of buying in lots of 4
From what I can gather they are a very good copy of the T2. They dont have the boost mode so aren't a copy of the T2se.
Was very close to getting one just to try it out - talks flat lined when warranty and software versions were mentioned.
Still curious but $500 for me is to much to toy with at the moment.

The other thing is consistency as often the old QC doesn't mean to much to places like that.

Edited by user Saturday, 6 July 2013 9:13:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 10:28:04 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:17:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kingsleyke  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 July 2013 8:12:34 PM(UTC)
kingsleyke

American Samoa

Well, metal detecting more than metal detectors. Besides owning a good SPAM LINK REMOVED, the most important thing is that you should be very patient. Because you will find much more scraps than treasures.

Edited by moderator Tuesday, 30 July 2013 9:32:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

waka  
Posted : Friday, 9 August 2013 10:07:55 AM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Matua.Waka here im like you man new to this I`ve made all my gear but not my detector.Haha.I bought my exterre 705 goldpak bout 2mnths ago its awesome on coins and stuff lots of stuff.Havent been out looking 4 gold yet just chomping at the bit.The exterre breaks down nicely.Im from nsw where do u work.