New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
eastcoastboys  
Posted : Thursday, 4 July 2013 2:33:21 PM(UTC)
eastcoastboys

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi there just wondering if anyone knows much about the gold seeker detector
3 Silver rings $55.20 spendables 1 silver
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 4 July 2013 3:50:43 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I used to own one, sold it about 15 years ago - the company became Minelab. I guess the Gold seekers detectors would be 20 years old or more by now, they were being made in the late seventies, not sure when they stopped making them. The last ones had Minelab written on them as well and you may get some info, and perhaps even download a manual from their website. NUGGY
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 4 July 2013 4:04:12 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NUGGY Go to Quoted Post
I used to own one, sold it about 15 years ago - the company became Minelab. I guess the Gold seekers detectors would be 20 years old or more by now, they were being made in the late seventies, not sure when they stopped making them. The last ones had Minelab written on them as well and you may get some info, and perhaps even download a manual from their website. NUGGY

It might not be the same machine Nuggy as I found on a quick Google check someone else is using the same name.

From the Minelab site:
The Goldseekers 15000 detector was Minelab’s first detector released in 1984 and is no longer in production. The Goldseekers 15000 was a gold detector utilising VLF technology.

MK

Edited by user Thursday, 4 July 2013 4:07:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 4 July 2013 8:43:14 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Is it this one ?
http://www.metaldetector...product&product_id=1

Not to be nasty but I think I'd let them keep it - most of the mid priced Gold machines are about 18Khz
For that price I'd be going for a Fisher F2 and it's probably as much of a gold machine as the one above (as in it's not).
eastcoastboys  
Posted : Thursday, 4 July 2013 9:52:31 PM(UTC)
eastcoastboys

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
sorry i spelt seaker wrong and its a lafayette gold seaker try this link http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-611064427.htm
3 Silver rings $55.20 spendables 1 silver
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 5 July 2013 4:58:55 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Would pay to do some more research especially if you can find someone with a better known brand that can compare. I'm not sure if Lafayette is an actual manufacturer or just a 'sticker' brand.

Ask the seller a question and their reply will be interesting as the auction states 18cm on a US quarter. I'd suggest if they used the device themselves they would list the item using NZ references
For example my Garrett ATGOLD with the 5x8 dd coil will detect a NZ $1 in all metal mode 75% sensitivity at 25cm
that's an air test so doesn't really help much as depth depends on how well the machine can handle the soil etc. Also that detection is what I would liken to a faint gold signal.

Bottom line is if you can't easily find info or reviews you are best to go for a model from one of the big boys!
With the Lafayette are parts and upgrades available? Where does it go for warranty?
Chrispy  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 10:36:20 AM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I have one. these detectors are Italian and work ok but don't go very deep. they are a copy of the minelab gold bug 2 I think as they look identical. its realy just a beep and dig but you can discriminate quite well. they do however pick up really tiny objects. maybe better for nuggets but havnt tried that yet. knowing what I know now I wouldn't bother with them as I picked up a cheap garret ace150 for $300 and get way better depth and target identification with the backing of a known brand. hope this helps.
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 11:18:33 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi Chrispy, have you tried it in all metal mode?
My way of thinking and I don't want to portray I've used every gold machine in the world because I have limited experience with them but from what I have used I'd say if it's a beeper it's probably not a keeper. The At Gold I have does beep for pretty small targets but for really small stuff your listening for variations in the threshold.

Others might have other ideas

If you want a good entry level Gold machine then I'd say the Fisher Gold Bug pro (the newer model, whatever it's called) is a very good buy, slightly more stable than the Garrett ATGold (down here anyway) and you can at least use it (slightly retarded all be it) at the beach. The ATGOLD is a waste of time at the beach as even slightly wet salt sand makes it think it's found a target. The plus of the ATGOLD is that at the river it's waterproof to 3m). Both are very good park hunters as well.

A Heap of choice and a heap of research.

Chrispy  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 2:15:05 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chrispy, have you tried it in all metal mode?
My way of thinking and I don't want to portray I've used every gold machine in the world because I have limited experience with them but from what I have used I'd say if it's a beeper it's probably not a keeper. The At Gold I have does beep for pretty small targets but for really small stuff your listening for variations in the threshold.

Others might have other ideas

If you want a good entry level Gold machine then I'd say the Fisher Gold Bug pro (the newer model, whatever it's called) is a very good buy, slightly more stable than the Garrett ATGold (down here anyway) and you can at least use it (slightly retarded all be it) at the beach. The ATGOLD is a waste of time at the beach as even slightly wet salt sand makes it think it's found a target. The plus of the ATGOLD is that at the river it's waterproof to 3m). Both are very good park hunters as well.

A Heap of choice and a heap of research.

hey guardian, yea started off only using all metal mode. was digging millions of nails, bolts, nuts etc as well as all the other usual crap like pull tabs and cans. max depth I could get in all metal was 6" on big targets like pennys and half crowns. on the plus side I found 2 gold rings because I was digging every signal.
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 7:37:58 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:36:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 8:08:40 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post
I can definately say Chrispy's ACE150 will pick up small gold better than a 250 -

Ahhh, and how can you defiantly say that?

Both the Ace 150 and the Ace 250 use 6.5Khz frequency
Both use the 6.5" by 9" coil
Both have the same processor and hardware.
But the Ace 150 does not have as many sensitivity adjustments, search modes or pin point.

Thus if anything the 250 should be able to pick up small gold better then the 150 because of the extra adjustments available, but with both having 6.5khz neither are the best for gold (the higher the frequency the better for small gold).
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 8:33:31 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Location would be very restrictive to ye old Ace 150-250 with no GB

ST didn't you make a post about 150 for prospecting but I can't remember if they were actually using it to find gold or potential concentrations.

Edited by user Saturday, 6 July 2013 8:41:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 7 July 2013 5:42:59 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:37:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 6:50:59 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

What did you decide on Eastcoastboys?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Thursday, 11 July 2013 6:17:58 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Seems kind of odd that a detector released in 2012 that cost $600 would only have a 2 tone audio and no digital display.
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 13 July 2013 11:07:26 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:38:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 14 July 2013 6:09:03 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Starting to wonder if it's time to become a bit greedier and not put as much effort into giving advice on machines. Maybe it's better to let them buy the unknowns and give up.

Pros:
Less newbie damage to hunting grounds
More goodies for me.

Cons:

.... Ummm ahhhhh still trying to think of some...

Ohhh ok!

It's in my personality to go out of my way to help people. Knowing of the many plus sides to this hobby it wouldn't be right not giving people a good start. I struggle to think of another hobby that pays for itself (if you can fight the urge to constantly upgrade). Gets you out and about. Gives you a chance to clear the old noodle. And with the likes of the forum puts you into contact with on a whole, a group of quality like minded people. I hope I never lose the drive to find out what that next target will be!
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 14 July 2013 10:00:16 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
Starting to wonder if it's time to become a bit greedier and not put as much effort into giving advice on machines. Maybe it's better to let them buy the unknowns and give up.

Pros:
Less newbie damage to hunting grounds
More goodies for me.

Cons:

.... Ummm ahhhhh still trying to think of some...

Ohhh ok!

It's in my personality to go out of my way to help people. Knowing of the many plus sides to this hobby it wouldn't be right not giving people a good start. I struggle to think of another hobby that pays for itself (if you can fight the urge to constantly upgrade). Gets you out and about. Gives you a chance to clear the old noodle. And with the likes of the forum puts you into contact with on a whole, a group of quality like minded people. I hope I never lose the drive to find out what that next target will be!

And its pay back.

I was a newbie and learnt from the various forums out there from members generous enough to share their experience and knowledge, so it would be wrong not to pass on that knowledge to new newbies.
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 14 July 2013 1:19:49 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

That's true Grant in fact it was one of your circle of friends that rekindled my fondness of the hobby
Brett's youtube vids gave it a NZ connection while Madsonicboating's gave it some character.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 15 July 2013 3:05:36 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:39:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12>