New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 2:26:29 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goldie Go to Quoted Post
Wow... DOC charge $1500 bucks just to access land that belongs to all New Zealanders??

Yup and good on them! The charge is a concession fee which only applies to what DOC consider to be commercial operations. Thus yes - you and I own the land and if somebody is going to make money out of it then it is only right that they should pay for the privilege otherwise its our tax that is subsidising their business.

Get real shilo not ''all'' claims are commercial for a lot of guys its weekends only or even less... more of an expensive hobby...why dont they charge whitebaiters or fishing guides etc ??? if you want to suggest such stuped things you should be paying for the gold out of fossicking areas or does that not apply because its handheld only ? golds gold no matter how you get it its all worth the same!
Even the crown has identafied a lot of claims as more hobby and comes under tier2 but il bet my last dollar doc wont take that into account.
Out of 4 claim holders i no only one of them has a dredge bigger than 5'' the other is a 6'' and that size dredge is still considered hobby size!
So how is it that doc still charge ?
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 2:55:31 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Get real shilo not ''all'' claims are commercial for a lot of guys its weekends only or even less... more of an expensive hobby...why dont they charge whitebaiters or fishing guides etc ??? if you want to suggest such stuped things you should be paying for the gold out of fossicking areas or does that not apply because its handheld only ? golds gold no matter how you get it its all worth the same!
Even the crown has identafied a lot of claims as more hobby and comes under tier2 but il bet my last dollar doc wont take that into account.
Out of 4 claim holders i no only one of them has a dredge bigger than 5'' the other is a 6'' and that size dredge is still considered hobby size!
So how is it that doc still charge ?

I personally reckon that if whitebait is sold then it should be classed as a commercial activity, But as for Fish Guides they do pay a concession. From the DOC's own site:

Concessions provide for a wide range of recreational activities such as: guiding - including walking, tramping, climbing, hunting, fishing, biking, kayaking and canoeing, ski fields, bungy jumping and caving, to name a few.

Concessions also cover many other activities including: accommodation facilities, water, air or land transport services, commercial education/instruction, services such as shops, tearooms, restaurants and equipment hire, grazing, baches, telecommunication facilities and power lines, commercial filming, beehives, sphagnum moss gathering, gravel extraction and other resource use activities.

If the gold claim is purely for recreational use then I agree with you, it is not a commercial activity. But once somebody has a claim to make money or a living out of it then why should my taxes go the them???
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 3:23:45 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Bollocks !...iv bumped into more than my shear of fishing guides and they are not paying any concession i larf at above they charge to walk lol i read that and what they are saying is they charge if you are a human and want to do anything on public land maybe if your some tourist company in queenstown....i CHALLENGE you rite now to try and get a dredging consent and state in your consent you are doing it as a commercial activity see how far you get.
Doc and all the other bureaucrats involved make the rules so pathetic they do not allow for a commercial operator by restricting nozzle size,amount of material,how much water you can take,how many HP your engine can be and so on its simple as that.
Tax we all pay it.

this thread is getting hijacked .

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 July 2013 3:32:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cromwellgold  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 4:38:09 PM(UTC)
cromwellgold

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Please read my first post ! no where is commercial mentioned , a group of guys small dredge , hobby , fun , that's just about gone .
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 6:23:02 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I agree cromwellgold
its a lot of fun spread the costs over a couple of dudes and hay presto you have somewhere legal to go either for the summer or just the odd weekend over xmas
my claim is very small but pays its way ive sold 50% to a friend and its working really well keep it simple no mates with dredges but most of the time I let the odd one have a go with pans and boxes and yes you will get colour

its interesting watching all the moaners that complain they have no where to dredge now the opportunity and nothing is happening
I say go for it check out every thing is go with doc (which if approached can be helpful ive found) and just confirm the farmer has no problems even though you will be on public land

if I lived down that way I would be in like flin

goodluck kiwikeith
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 7:23:13 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Bollocks !...iv bumped into more than my shear of fishing guides and they are not paying any concession i larf at above they charge to walk lol i read that and what they are saying is they charge if you are a human and want to do anything on public land maybe if your some tourist company in queenstown....i CHALLENGE you rite now to try and get a dredging consent and state in your consent you are doing it as a commercial activity see how far you get.
Doc and all the other bureaucrats involved make the rules so pathetic they do not allow for a commercial operator by restricting nozzle size,amount of material,how much water you can take,how many HP your engine can be and so on its simple as that.
Tax we all pay it.

this thread is getting hijacked .

Edited by user Thursday, 11 July 2013 12:20:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A.J.  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 7:25:06 PM(UTC)
A.J.

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I read through this thread last night and thought that it would be far too expensive for me to participate (plus i dont have a dredge) but then again 250 members putting in $100 each to purchase the claim with one or a few key local members names on the permit, then charge anyone for dredge use- maybe through this website, and let members pan, sluice, detect and snipe for free effectively making it a members fossicking ground.
Could also ask dredgers to log areas they have worked and amounts that were won for a later reference to the actual value of claims like this one.

All costs would hopefully be covered by dredging charges.
Also would give somewhere to have an annual members get together weekend similar to last years which Clutha Pete organised.

Correct me if im wrong but i believe the Dunedin rockhounds did something similar in the Waipori area.

Could be another option if someone was willing to organize and run but also a bit of work.
gogold  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 7:43:36 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
lammerlaw, when you get a mining permit you already pay for rental straight to crown min, why pay it again to doc. and if youre really unlucky and the riverbed is linz boundried by doc land then you pay rental for the same portion of land to 3 different departments.
can you tell me how the money paid to doc goes back to nz? I bet it dosent, well at least not in ways that would benefit most, I suggest you go claim a new area just so you can experience the bullshite it takes nowadays to claim an area, not to mention the very loooong time things take to happen, and experience the very large bills that go with it. we wernt all lucky to have a claim that was established many years ago when you could get away with almost anything.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:00:36 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: A.J. Go to Quoted Post
I read through this thread last night and thought that it would be far too expensive for me to participate (plus i dont have a dredge) but then again 250 members putting in $100 each to purchase the claim with one or a few key local members names on the permit, then charge anyone for dredge use- maybe through this website, and let members pan, sluice, detect and snipe for free effectively making it a members fossicking ground.
Could also ask dredgers to log areas they have worked and amounts that were won for a later reference to the actual value of claims like this one.

All costs would hopefully be covered by dredging charges.
Also would give somewhere to have an annual members get together weekend similar to last years which Clutha Pete organised.

Correct me if im wrong but i believe the Dunedin rockhounds did something similar in the Waipori area.

Could be another option if someone was willing to organize and run but also a bit of work.

In about 1970 something or other or maybe 1980 something or other Trevor Dick a member of the Otago Rock and Mineral club came to visit me and asked my opinion about taking out a claim on Reedy Creek Waipori as I had explored much of it in the period 1970 through to 1973 and also had a claim over the Reedy Creek Coppermine with all good intention excepting that I got posted out of Dunedin and could only spend time there during holidays on which occasions a fee bottles of beer and sticks of gelignite put an end to good intentions as we sat on the hill having hand grenade practice lighting sticks of gelignite and throwing them at the water filled mine shaft to see who was the best bomb thrower!

Anyway to cut a long story short I took Trevor along a length of Reedy Creek and we got some good gold and I think that was where the Rock Hound club had their claim.

I think that it is a grand idea for a number of guys to put in and take out a claim, pooling their financial resources and expertise BUT select those whom you accept into the fold as claim shareholders with reservation as I have already found to my cost that although there are some truly grand guys on this forum for whom I would do anything, take anywhere and trust any time there are also a few arseholes! - users and abusers of priviledge and these ones are to be avoided as they are self centered users and opportunists to be avoided at all costs. These types will let you put your money in then monopolise the claim and take out far more than their fair share.

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:01:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nafcd  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:10:46 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
so is the site accessable by 2wd, 4wd, 4 wheel motorbike or other means. I take it the access road is public land to the claim or have I misunderstood. seems to be a few conflicting views here. could you explain aotea please. i only hand sluice at this stage. no dredge so $5000+ is a bit steep for me. AJ has asked what I was thinking so 2 starters at $100 each. just 248 to go.

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:22:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:16:10 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I have already found to my cost that although there are some truly grand guys on this forum for whom I would do anything, take anywhere and trust any time there are also a few arseholes! - users and abusers of priviledge and these ones are to be avoided as they are self centered users and opportunists to be avoided at all costs.

not to sure how to do the cut and paste thing

but I agree with lammerlaw 100% be very selective

I had a couple of guys go up to the claim with the promise of something in return for the privilege of being there, caught up with them while I was there and went to see them again on the next morning and they had packed up and buggered off. no thanks kiss my arse or anything they will know who they are. then had the opposite last summer a couple from up north camped a few days got gold and really thanked us for the use of the claim
they will be welcome back
Aotea  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:29:02 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi,
$1,500 is the standard DoC fee. LINZ agreements are often less, but there are fees prescribed in DoC regulations. As for allowing an 8 inch dredge, the Southland Conservation Strategy (or something similar to that term) stipulates a 5inch is the absolute maximum, no more in any regard. You could step it into the High Impact category and get an 8, but you get publically notified in your application, and pay massive annual rental.

The paperwork is all in a shell company, this allows for selling of gold with less tax, but also writeoff costs against that tax. It also ensures you can simply get a solicitor to transfer it over, rather than the up to 6 months transfer time by Crown Mins and avoiding the fee (I think that's around $625?) and also the DoC transfer fees and Env South transfer fees. It takes 10 minutes b a solicitor and is instant.

Yes, its Env South, so there may be an annual monitoring fee. If its like other Councils, it'd be a couple of hundred each year.

Cant believe it hasn't sold already, its a great claim and is bloody cheap!
cheers
element111  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:33:28 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
sounds like the owner should just keep the claim and just charge people a fee to have a go dredging, he's got enough interest in it ,the owner could pay the fees themself since some people cant handle paying a oz and a few grams of gold a year to dredge somewhere which most likely may pay for itself in a day dredging,since you can legally lease out parts of ur claim makes sence to as then the owner still has the rights and the investment in the claim secured while you are getting a return for doing nothing,you get nothing for free these days 22.5g outright + 2g a year is cheap for something that is almost all set up to pop a dredge in and start making your money backI couldn't think of anything I would rather do than dredging for gold, or do you want something for free like those people who sit at home and take our tax money every week because they can't get off there bums and work?
A.J.  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 9:49:58 PM(UTC)
A.J.

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Another option would be to purchase the claim as a large group then try attempt to pass it to the crown as a public fossicking area and allow ALL New Zealanders the opportunity to legally pan and play in a much larger area then already set aside in the lower South.
For everyone on this site asking where we are allowed to legally go or sitting behind their keyboards complaining that there should be more more areas for us to fossick then here is a great opportunity do actually do something about it!

Even consider securing something like this for your childern and grandchildren to enjoy in the future as when the price of gold rises someone will snap it up and we will be all look back and say what if....

would only take 250 of us...........

Aotea  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 10:30:28 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

AJ if you wanted to go down that path, its a great idea. Its for sale for $20,500. That's the 20k I put into it, and nothing for the two years of red-tape or couple of hundred hours. The other $500 covers the MP fee Im about to pay for 2013-14.

Im not here to make a profit from my fellow gold lovers, I just want to cover the costs and fund a project I have been waiting a couple of years for the land to come free, and it just has...
keywikiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 11:05:44 PM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Anywho....Do you mind if I take my sluicebox up for a play on your claim Aotea if im passing through someday before its sold?Happy to pay fee for the right
Aotea  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 11:33:25 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Would love to say yes on that Keywikiwi, but the insurance and bond isn't sorted...PM me and I can direct you to a claim of mine on the coast you can take your sluice on for no cost.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 July 2013 11:40:50 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Lifes a ball - or should I say a shit sandwich and its always lunchtime.

Edited by user Wednesday, 10 July 2013 7:47:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

andy  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 July 2013 1:00:37 AM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
BOOM
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 July 2013 1:05:21 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Edited by user Wednesday, 10 July 2013 8:39:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

4 Pages<1234>