New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 24 April 2010 10:49:33 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Dawn Parade in Picton tomorrow morning then take my mother in law back home to Murchison. Oh yes, that's where my favourite rivers are. Might have to have another scratch around at the Buller for a couple of hourse before I head home again. I've added to my tools of the trade to help me cut down on how much I pan. Went to the Hospice Shop yesterday to drop off some old clothes ans picked up a kitchen sieve and bowl for $3. Won't last long but it will cut down on how much I have to process in the pan. There is an inexhaustible amount of places to scratch around amongst the granite. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave
File Attachment(s):
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Balfour  
Posted : Sunday, 25 April 2010 10:12:11 AM(UTC)
Balfour

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dave, great to hear you are using your imagination and picked up the kitchen sieve and pan - should work well - like you, I get backache and sore arms from hauling bucket loads of rock and dirt to the water source to pan. I am making one of JW's sieve buckets to do the samething and I'm looking forward to see how it works, I'm sure it will work a treat!

I have fossicked in and around Murchison (GREAT place!!) and also a lot around the Buller (Lyell). There are some wonderful places to fossick and I have had some luck, but it is a varst area to explore. Would love to hear how you get on - hey, good luck buddy!!

Cheers,

Ian (Balfour)
kiwisouth  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 April 2010 12:55:58 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Ian

Managed almost two hours at the river before I had to head back. I dropped my mother in law off and my youngest daughter. Missed lunch so I could make the most of my time, though I did pick up a pie from the garage on the wat through. Weather looked a bit dodgy so that was my excuse not to take Alex with me to the river.

The sieve and bowl worked a treat. I only scratch out small amounts at a time and when I worked a big crevice, I like to keep what I did out separate so I can tell how good a particular spot was. The photo I had in the last post shows where I worked. Managed to clear most of it out but generally founf that the bottom of the crevice was quite concave in section so was not a good gold catchment area. Flecks of gold only and managed to graze my knuckles as well. But, the sieve cut down how much work I had to do with the pan.

So I achieved what I wanted to achieve, I got to the river, my cheap little classifier worked, found some gold and got to talk to a kayaker as well. On the way home, stopped off for a coffee at a animal farm cafe where my daughter got to feed deer, goats, pigs etc. So she had a good time. A long day though, getting up at 5 am for the dawn service then to Murchison and back. Early to bed that night. Oh well, wait for the next chance to get to Murchison.

Dave
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 7:33:49 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Dave, Sounds like a fun time had by all. Thanks for sharing. You never know whats in the next crevice.

Good luck & happy hunting

JW
Elwood  
Posted : Thursday, 7 July 2011 5:03:36 PM(UTC)

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified