New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
Eagle  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 2:47:44 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Zaqqa sure has a couple of good youtube clips.His table of gold is a stunning thing,lucky b$#@!#d.

"JW" I bet you would like to come across some of those sunbakers he finds over in WA.
I went to the Golden Triangle in Victoria for 2 weeks a couple of years ago, I wish I had spent a bit more money & gone to WA...

I have got my stones being sent to a gemologist,the jeweller I saw was very interested & is as curious to know as I am.

Eagle
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 3:16:20 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I look forward to hearing what they are too as I've slung a lot of these little stones myself in the past. Very small ones though!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 May 2011 6:20:50 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I wonder if they are garnets? Thats my guess but one never knows - you may have found rubies but time will tell.
I had a friend (he was the finder of a 9 oz nugget not so long ago)and he swears black and blue that some of what we find there in my hut paddock are tiny topaz and we also find mircosperules. Also tiny green crystals and crimson red like yours which I assumed were garnets. In another area on my place crimson red sand which is cinnabar turns up now and again.

Edited by user Wednesday, 25 May 2011 6:22:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eagle  
Posted : Thursday, 26 May 2011 6:02:07 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Still waiting to hear back from the gemologist.

Eagle
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2011 4:08:08 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

In the two photos above some of the larger pieces look very like cinnabar or Mercury ore which is this colour and also very heavy so that it can be panned.
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2011 7:22:29 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
So Eagle, Whats the verdict.....ruby or garnet??

Happy hunting

JW :)
Eagle  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 12:30:34 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Gidday there JW

Its funny that you have sent a post today,I spoke to the jeweller this morning & they are still with the gemologist up in Auckland.

It has been 3 weeks now, it does seem a bit strange it has taken so long to get an answer...maybe they are the real deal??

Have you been finding a bit lately???

I got a couple of nice bits on Sunday with the 3500

Eagle
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 12:45:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Eagle wrote:
Gidday there JW

Its funny that you have sent a post today,I spoke to the jeweller this morning & they are still with the gemologist up in Auckland.

It has been 3 weeks now, it does seem a bit strange it has taken so long to get an answer...maybe they are the real deal??

Have you been finding a bit lately???

I got a couple of nice bits on Sunday with the 3500

Eagle

I am sitting here expectantly waiting to see what you have - according to others we are finding topaz on my place and I checked that with a friend who said that is indeed correct. Also other small semi precious gemstones and I must check about that as well. Also microspherules. To those who get tiny pieces colours of gold not river worn but angular, crystally stuff with sharp edges and not a sign of wear and in fairly large amounts I think it pays to perve at it under a good stereo microscope - I can assure you aslo that you will never get sick of perving at it (perving is the right words here - transfixed is another good word to use here) because the microscope gives you allusions or riches, it is great to discover all the sharp pieces of gold, quartz crystals adhering to the tiny pieces, the different characteristics of all the pieces and also what other tiny crystals and gems are in amongst it. This was how I discovered microspherules, perfect spheres like shotgun pellets except entirely natural and seemingly from the big meteor impact that spelled the end of the dinosaurs or the Mahuika impact.
I get garnets as well plus crimson red crystals like yours plus beautiful green ones as well so it is with interest that I follow your thread.

Edited by user Wednesday, 15 June 2011 1:26:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 3:32:06 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Lammerlaw.

Gold on your place,"PLUS" "Cinnabar" Too!
(Thats an "Ideal" location for finding gold anywhere in the world! (What,What,)

Well, you "Coromandel" prospectors can take much heart form that statement of Lammerlaws,

AS IT DESCRIBES THE OLD THAMES GOLDFIELDS TO A "T".
And Lammerlaw, Now I do know, you are situated on the "Tops".

Good on ya Mate.

Regards---Colin.
Eagle  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 3:53:09 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Hi Lammerlaw

I know you & I did not get off to the best of starts.....

I must say your property sounds like a fossickers dream!!

Do you have any photos of the green stones,it would be great to see them.

Saying that you like to "perve at your gold" under microscope got me inspired to try that, holly S#@! that sure gets the fever running, very cool.

I will keep you posted when I hear back from the jeweller.

Cheers
Eagle

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 4:05:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

criticol wrote:
Hi Lammerlaw.

Gold on your place,"PLUS" "Cinnabar" Too!
(Thats an "Ideal" location for finding gold anywhere in the world! (What,What,)

Well, you "Coromandel" prospectors can take much heart form that statement of Lammerlaws,

AS IT DESCRIBES THE OLD THAMES GOLDFIELDS TO A "T".
And Lammerlaw, Now I do know, you are situated on the "Tops".

Good on ya Mate.

Regards---Colin.

Hi Colin

Cinnabar sands only on the lower part of my place and as yet never found any on the tops - there is cinnabar within sight of my place but for many years no one has found any there as the location of the old cinnabar mine is lost to all but one or two people. I couldnt find it last time I was there. It was described as a rich but discontinuous vein of high grade ore - it was owned by the Nobels Explosive Co of Glasgow. I once saw a piece and it weighed heavy like lead almost and solid crimson red. I have found scheelite out the back of my place next door.
There is cinnabar near Beaumont, maybe in the headwaters of the Beaumont River but the location of it has been lost now.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 4:12:08 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Eagle wrote:
Hi Lammerlaw

I know you & I did not get off to the best of starts.....

I must say your property sounds like a fossickers dream!!

Do you have any photos of the green stones,it would be great to see them.

Saying that you like to "perve at your gold" under microscope got me inspired to try that, holly S#@! that sure gets the fever running, very cool.

I will keep you posted when I hear back from the jeweller.

Cheers
Eagle

My place isnt a fossickers dream now as I have run the hoover over it well and truly and most of it is now covered by a Constipation Dept covenant. If I had a bulldozer I daresay it could be as good as anywhere but I am too lazy and the bird in the hand is sometimes better than the two in the bush...in other words I am poor, destitude, insolvent and cant afford a bulldozer and dont want to spend money on one!o
I never noticed the 'pretty wee stones' until I started to perve and oggle at small unworn gold from my house paddock and then got the surprise of my life - a friend of mine on this forum said that he had found topaz and after some more perving I do think he is right. I have a bottle of the red and green crystals somewhere but where they are I wouldnt have a clue...the microspherules are what interests me most.

I look forward to your report as you have me curious now!

Edited by user Thursday, 16 June 2011 4:13:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 11:00:19 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
"This was how I discovered microspherules, perfect spheres like shotgun pellets except entirely natural and seemingly from the big meteor impact that spelled the end of the dinosaurs or the Mahuika impact."

Lamerlaw, are you saying these were part of the meteor, or formed from the explosion that it caused?
What colour are they?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 11:42:50 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Flintlock wrote:
"This was how I discovered microspherules, perfect spheres like shotgun pellets except entirely natural and seemingly from the big meteor impact that spelled the end of the dinosaurs or the Mahuika impact."

Lamerlaw, are you saying these were part of the meteor, or formed from the explosion that it caused?
What colour are they?

Apparently so - from the information told me it appears that they may come as glassy ones made of the same or similar material to Tektites but the ones I have are basically carbon but are magnetic. I had them examined under the electron microscope and was given a report accordingly and one of them had a tiny whitish colour on it and that was gold...the gold had 'grown' on it.
I do not know how they were formed without due research though I have read all about them.

http://europa.agu.org/?v...s/gl/GL014i011p01083.xml

They can be readily researched by typing in magnetic microshperules

I have been aware of them for a fair while ever since I began perving at unworn gold form my hut paddock. When I got into some serious question asking in relation to them I found that two foreign geologists or scientists have also discovered them in New Zealand.

Right now the last ones I got a couple a week ago sit in a bottle by my elbow - the biggest is 1mm and that is a huge one! The smallest ones are barely visible without a lens.

It might appear that they were caused by the meteor impact. They are matte to shiny black. Another forum member friend of mine on this site has also found them on my place.

Edited by user Friday, 17 June 2011 11:44:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cavey  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 2:21:00 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi any idea what the stones were yet just interested like most thanks

Cavey
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 4:45:25 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
I think the jewellers done a runner with them. LOL :)

JW :)

GoldpannerDave  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 June 2011 5:01:00 AM(UTC)
GoldpannerDave

starflash wrote:
hey eagle look carefully at the colour of what we found to the colour guide below
[snip]the garnet seems to dark
the ruby has a very similar colour shade
by the way, half of those are mine $$$$$$$$

I have lots of garnets exactly the color of yours. Generally garnets are darker, even some so dark that no light goes through them. However, while my garnets are from Colorado, I would guess New Zealand may have some, too--and you now have a few of those.

BTW, there is a location near Johnson's Bridge, Colorado named Ruby Mountain. I have been there a couple of times. The rubies there are actually spessartite garnets.

spessartite garnets, some very ruby like
Some spessartite garnets of differing colors

There are other online sites that will show this type garnet.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 June 2011 5:41:25 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

GoldpannerDave wrote:
starflash wrote:
hey eagle look carefully at the colour of what we found to the colour guide below
[snip]the garnet seems to dark
the ruby has a very similar colour shade
by the way, half of those are mine $$$$$$$$

I have lots of garnets exactly the color of yours. Generally garnets are darker, even some so dark that no light goes through them. However, while my garnets are from Colorado, I would guess New Zealand may have some, too--and you now have a few of those.

BTW, there is a location near Johnson's Bridge, Colorado named Ruby Mountain. I have been there a couple of times. The rubies there are actually spessartite garnets.

spessartite garnets, some very ruby like
Some spessartite garnets of differing colors

There are other online sites that will show this type garnet.

I find what you say here extremely interesting and it jogged my mind so rushed off running around in crazy circles looking for some rocks I had here. These rocks which I find on my place and on one of the claims we used to have were first pointed out to me twenty or so years ago by a friend. They are quite plain in many respects and look nothing spectacular in any way - just rockis - they are apparently however Spessartite or Spessartite garnet. I had never heard of this until I was given some of these rocks and once familiar with them began to keep the odd specimen from my place. i could never imagine them being facetted or anything though because to me they are just...rocks! Interesting though.
Eagle  
Posted : Thursday, 30 June 2011 11:18:52 AM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Gidday all

Heard back from the jewellers at last today......Rubys not.

No presence of Corundum detected...bummer!!

At least we know there is still plenty of yellow to be had from the spot.

Eagle

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 30 June 2011 12:33:12 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Eagle wrote:
Gidday all

Heard back from the jewellers at last today......Rubys not.

No presence of Corundum detected...bummer!!

At least we know there is still plenty of yellow to be had from the spot.

Eagle

Aw shit! - thats hard luck as it would have been really ace for someone to discover rubies other than the ones already known in Goodletite. You at least know now and by finding out whether they were or were not you have satisfied your own curiousity.,..and ours as well.
3 Pages<123>