New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

l0gic  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 3:01:57 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Any experienced beach hunters able to fill me in on the secrets of the trade?

When I was out last weekend (low-ish tide) I found a line along the beach containing quite a few of those foil/seals from 'sports drink' bottles. In your experience are the good targets (coins, rings, etc) near this line; closer to, or further away from the water?

How do the tides, waves, etc affect where things get washed to, or where they end up?

I figure these seals are quite light-weight so they get moved further down the beach (closer to the water) on an outgoing tide and further up th beach (away from water) on a rising tide. And rings (or coins) being heavier wouldn't move as far and should be around half way between these two foil lines..?

Or am I thinking about it wrong?

Any advice, thoughts or theories are very welcome.

(I should only be dry-sand capable, I got quite close to the water and found several bits of metallic rubbish in wet sand. But I won't be getting my feet wet until I dig up an Excalibur or something.)
Fisher F2 - Hunts: 11, Rings: 3, Spendables: $70.20
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 4:04:35 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: l0gic Go to Quoted Post
Any experienced beach hunters able to fill me in on the secrets of the trade?
When I was out last weekend (low-ish tide) I found a line along the beach containing quite a few of those foil/seals from 'sports drink' bottles. In your experience are the good targets (coins, rings, etc) near this line; closer to, or further away from the water?

Don't waste your time in the area if you are finding light targets. Think of the beach as a giant gold pan - the water shuffling back and forwards separates the light medium from heavier stuff. The light stuff is near the top and can be then poured out whilst the heavier medium collects at the lowest point.

The sea does exactly the same thing so if you come across a patch of foil or pull tabs etc then they would have been washed away from any gold or silver. Chances are you are also in a patch of beach where the sand is building up and you need to carry on looking for any low points. Shell piles, driftwood and seaweed are other pointers that there will be no good targets there.

Yes the sea can move and concentrate heavy targets but it takes a very good storm to do this. Most of the time when you find a hot spot it is because the water has eroded the beach down enough to find those pieces of gold in the "giant pan".

Coins a bit different since although they are heavier then foil and pull tabs their shape means that waves can easily flip them over and move them, they also resist sinking like a gold ring does (greater surface area). But you still won't find them with the light items, instead they can form a semi circular shape around the gold and silver. If you find coins on the slope (no matter how slight) then there is a chance of rings on the seaward side of them.

Light targets can be anywhere in connection to rings & etc (opposite end of the beach, higher up or even if a sandbar is moving up the beach they could be below the good finds). But the valuable targets will not be where the light junk is - move on. The exception to this rule is if there has been a recent gold drop within a day but this is very rare.

Another hint is to look for sinkers - they act the same as a gold ring so if you find an old sinker there could be gold there as well.

Best to concentrate on learning how to pick out the low spots on your beach. This could be a water or ripple filled channel, a wet looking patch of sand or even sand that is darker in colour then the surrounding area (mineralised sand is heavy thus will get concentrated in the low points.

One ancient site that has been archived may help you out a bit more. The info on this site is too good to loose so lets hope they continue to keep it archived. Look under "the secrets of saltwater beaches I, II, III " and some of the other articles.:http://web.archive.org/web/20090406024500/http://thegoldenolde.com/oldego3.htm
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 4:54:15 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes, what Shilo said

Many moons ago on Piha or Muriwai beach, bigs seas and wind was coming onto the beach ripping away the sand and heaps of coins were standing up quite exposed. They were all leaning over and we picked up as many as we could fins. Lots of people were doing the same thing. Not a detector in sight. Like I said, many moons ago.

Where abouts in Chch are you l0gic? Corsair Bay was always a good spot. Safe family swimming since the 1800's as you might see by some of the photo's on line. I doubt if I found all of the silver rings there so there is bound to be gold ones as I never did find one their. A cannon ball was interesting though. Up on the grass below the carpark there used to be a shop. Might be a good place to look too. I got too impatient.

Look in depressions on the beach especially if it is harder pack, I have found glory holes at one end of a beach where coins have collected over the years, usually at the lowest point or down the beach towards rocks.

Have a look through some of the other posts, there are quite a few about beach detecting and areas to go to.
What detector do you have? Some coils are waterproof.

Happy hunting
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 5:36:33 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
All the preceding tips are true and worthwhile practicing.
But remember Gold can be anywhere in the sand. I can think of 4 gold rings I have found
on or about the high tide mark so they probably did not travel at all. Learning to read a beach certainly helps but there are no rules for the depositor as to where they must drop their wedding ring.
If you have the time look everywhere, if short on time search the likely spots.
The first rule is to keep looking I reckon. :-)

MK
l0gic  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 6:12:06 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Just a quick post, after a quick read.

In this picture I've made:
UserPostedImage

The top third, is high tide. With people playing in the shallows, walking along the beach, etc. The larger black dots are the people, the ones with gold around them have dropped their rings.

Middle third show the low tide with rings where they were dropped and low spots where there may have been more current flowing.

Bottom third shows where the rings have ended up.

Is this along the right idea?

The rings that were never in the water haven't moved at all.. The others that were in the water got dragged slightly with the current but are 'exposed' (no longer under water, just in the sand) along the beach.. And I assume, each tide pulls them further and further down to the low-tide line.

Am I on the right track?

Would the rings move up, away from the tide line during rough seas, etc.. Then tend to stick nearer those low points?

I have bookmarked that link Shilo and will do more reading when I get a chance.. I'm just trying to figure out my best 'strategy' I guess you'd call it.

Kiwisouth, I'm pretty much in the CBD. I have a Fisher F2 at the moment, so I don't think dipping into the waves is an option for me yet. :(
Fisher F2 - Hunts: 11, Rings: 3, Spendables: $70.20
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 September 2013 6:50:18 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Yes and no for having the right idea.

Don't forget that people wrapping their valuables in a towel then forgetting about them when drying themselves is also a major reason for loosing jewelry.

Gold rings sink surprisingly fast in the sand, I once did a recovery 48hrs after a bride lost her engagement ring during a wedding and it was already a good 6" down. Overtime it would have just continued to sink until the density (hard pack) of the sand was greater then the ring.

The rings will only move during those major once in a hundred year storms that we seem to get every 2nd year. And only then if the storm was from the right direction to erode the sand down to them. Because of the angle of the waves that can erode sand is not straight onto the beach then any movement of the ring will also be sideways and not down to the low tide mark. They also wouldn't move much - maybe a metre or to maximum.

From a hot spot on Waiheke which was exposed by erosion I once worked out that there is over 600 pieces of gold per kilometer of beach:
http://islanddetecting.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/beaches-sprinkled-with-gold.html. I still stand by this and think this figure would apply to any popular beach. BUT the reason we are not picking up this many is that these pieces of gold have sunk down until they hit a high density layer. On the Waiheke beach this was a layer of clay which was 30-50cm down thus allowing my detector to find them.

goldhanded  
Posted : Sunday, 8 September 2013 5:22:11 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi,Iv found the best way to do the beach is to grid pattern,Having found most jewellery and coins in the sunbathing areas so to speak,also a lot of rings just up out of the water were I believe people have lost off their fingers due to wet hands and possible sunscreen lotion helping to the slippery fingers,although the absolute high tide mark is rich with signals,Iv found that most of the time Im digging untold hairclips from this area and so I don't bother(I am using a garrett infinium so don't have the readouts like the digitals,so in that case may be worthwhile for other detectorists)I havnt had a lot of luck down in the water,but I believe that due to it being a surf beach Iv been working,lakes and still water are a lot more productive in this area,anyway hope that helps,as I said I like to grid off certain areas were the majority of beachgoers are sunbathing and swimming,get down the beach during the hot days and you will soon see the popular spots,I tend to detect at night with a headtorch and so Im not having to share the beach with every man and his dog,also its a nice climate to work in,good luck with the hunt!
Couple photos of some of my beach finds,have given away a couple gold rings and brooch's and cashed in the gold coins from the collection,(and tossed all the hairclips lol)most of the stuff iv found on this beach is pretty modern,figure the older stuff has sunk,have had some luck with old coins in the harbour,cheers

Edited by user Sunday, 8 September 2013 5:30:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Good to go  
Posted : Friday, 13 September 2013 8:00:59 PM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Woman

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thats great information everyone! thanks i learnt alot HH