New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Chrispy  
Posted : Saturday, 7 September 2013 6:52:37 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Can some one please tell me what the difference is between a mining permit and a prospecting permit and why prospecting permit areas are so much bigger.
Also just want to clarify wether or not anyone can sluice or pan on doc land that has no permit.
Cheers.
LepreSean  
Posted : Saturday, 7 September 2013 9:39:35 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Chrispy Go to Quoted Post
Can some one please tell me what the difference is between a mining permit and a prospecting permit and why prospecting permit areas are so much bigger.
Also just want to clarify wether or not anyone can sluice or pan on doc land that has no permit.
Cheers.

For DOC land etc, no ;)
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 7 September 2013 9:55:22 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Pritty simple really your not going to mine were there is no gold so you get a prospecting permit to find it first then apply for a mining permit when you find the best gold.
No panning ,sluicing ,detecting for gold outside of fossicking areas :)
goldhanded  
Posted : Sunday, 8 September 2013 4:24:11 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Dos anyone know what the details are as far as the prospecting go's?Are you allowed to keep gold recovered?Is it limited to non mechanical equipment etc?How long do the permits last etc?Would be interesting to know if its worthwhile paying for one to sluice box/pan/detect on
gogold  
Posted : Sunday, 8 September 2013 7:17:38 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goldhanded Go to Quoted Post
Dos anyone know what the details are as far as the prospecting go's?Are you allowed to keep gold recovered?Is it limited to non mechanical equipment etc?How long do the permits last etc?Would be interesting to know if its worthwhile paying for one to sluice box/pan/detect on

http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...als/permits/permit-types

short answer is no you wouldn't get a prospecting or exploration to pan or sluice, still costs lotsa money and only lasts a couple of years, still need permission to access land (linz, doc or other)

pretty much prospecting and exploration permits are for large companies that want to narrow down an area to mine, they also use them to make their portfolio look good for investors. they are a waste of time for any small scale operation and they require a lot of paperwork and regular reporting.