New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

NECRO  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 September 2013 8:14:42 PM(UTC)
NECRO

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok, so in the weekend I went a checked out Louis Creek, in the public fossicking area a couple of hours from Nelson, awesome spot, and again was just fun being there, and even found a small amount of gold panning and a mate did a bit better sluicing, but still no luck with the detector...
Now I know this is only my second trip to the goldfields with it, and I do have faith that if there was gold where I was looking it would likely find it...but I am just wondering where I am better to focus my detecting efforts?
I spent most of the day wandering the creek, and the scanning the banks of the creek, (using Garrett AT Gold with 4.5' sniper coil) but it sort of dawned on me that the the creek may be a bit of a mission to dig a target with running water should I find one in the creek although I did dig an old nail out of some slower moving water by digging everything into the pan and then panning it off so this would likely work if the water wasnt to fast moving or deep...
But it also dawned on me when leaving that another area that maybe worth swinging the coil around would have been the masses of tailings higher up the hill left by the oldtimers? as this was obviously gold bearing ground back then so there may still be some missed gold there? this idea dawned on me after finding 2 nice flakes of gold in a small gut down the bank, directly below a massive tailings pile, that and the fact in the instructional DVD that came with my detector a lot of the footage appears to be taken near or on old tailings...

So just wondering what other people opinions are on where is best to detect when at an area known to have gold? are you better to scan the banks that havent been touched as this was where my mate sluiced, or is the creek a better spot, or maybe amongst the old tailing?

Would be happy to hear anyone opinions...
NUGGY  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 September 2013 12:59:17 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I would say do some of each until you find what works in the area you are in - really you want a bigger coil for tailings, have heard of good nuggets being found in old sluice forkings/tailings. I mostly did crevices and hillsides, places on banks with bottom showing - just running coil along level of bottom. I never found anything big though _ NUGGY
NECRO  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 September 2013 4:30:13 AM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Yeah good call about the bigger coil for tailings! I have the normal 8x5(?) DD coil aswell.
thanks for the info.
FossickFester  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 September 2013 11:07:20 AM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Can you imagine the gold in the tailings at the site of the Hoffman crew on the show gold rush? Thanks for posting these tips on this forum guys, I'm looking at getting an Xterra 705 next year if i can afford it....
NECRO  
Posted : Thursday, 19 September 2013 10:19:54 AM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

I was initially looking to buy an x-terra 705 as they look like an awesome detector, only ended up choosing the AT-Gold due to the 705 only being splash proof, where the AT-Gold if fully submersible to 10ft although after using it for a bit I cant see myself taking advantage of the submarine capabilities.
foss391  
Posted : Thursday, 19 September 2013 10:45:40 AM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I saw a youtube clip of this guy detecting the black sand trail in a creek bed, he put markers along the trail and it was quite clear where the gold run would likely be, on the creak side of the trail, was pretty interesting, has anyone done this technique.
Clip was taken in states or alaska
Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
FossickFester  
Posted : Thursday, 19 September 2013 11:13:07 AM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: NECRO Go to Quoted Post
I was initially looking to buy an x-terra 705 as they look like an awesome detector, only ended up choosing the AT-Gold due to the 705 only being splash proof, where the AT-Gold if fully submersible to 10ft although after using it for a bit I cant see myself taking advantage of the submarine capabilities.

Hi Necro, Your right it being only splash proof as i contacted minelab recently regarding it's waterproof capabilities and was told that as long as the control box was kept dry it would be ok in shallow rivers, hopefully i could rig up something to make it more water proof... Could be interested in getting an AT instead if the price difference wasn't much.
NECRO  
Posted : Thursday, 19 September 2013 4:57:15 PM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

The black sand method sounds familiar I saw something like that on youtube although I cant remember if they were detecting this trail or just showing best areas to target for panning/sluicing etc might have another look.

And the AT-Gold sells, for about $50 USD cheaper than the x-terra 705 Gold pack, although I got the sniper coil with mine which pushed the price up by $100 USD. I'm sure either would be a good detector and you can get a "weather proof" cover for the 705 control box for about $20 USD.

Check this site for reviews of most detectors.
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Saturday, 21 September 2013 8:45:51 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
The biggest issue you're likely to face detecting in tailings is the abundance of strong ferrous targets compared to gold.

Places like the Howard are particularly tough going for detectors because so much happened there over several distinct periods of mining activity. There's an abundance of rubbish and detritus from old dwelling sites and mining activities that lies strewn virtually everywhere. Remnants of ferrous materials are often many times larger than the gold you're seeking, and they have a strong signal even at depth and can easily mask adjacent weaker signals from gold.

With a thorough understanding of your detector and much practice you'll eventually learn to recognise some rubbish targets, but the sad fact is many of them are indistinguishable from gold and every one you don't dig is potentially a glimmer of gold that you're missing.

When detecting a worked area it generally helps to understand what you're looking at. Given the passage of years that can be pretty difficult, but for example in the Louis Creek field I would tend to head over toward the more recently worked faces on the true left of the stream opposite the hut at the end of the 4wd road. Those faces were sluiced with water monitors as late of the early 1950's, and while there's a fair bit of rubbish around, I have it on good authority they were still winning good gold when they finished. Over the past 60 odd years there's been a fair amount of fritter come down off the faces and accumulate at the bottom which contains gold which is detectable IF you're patient.

Edited by user Saturday, 21 September 2013 8:46:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 6:12:11 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Oh and be careful in there-you will have seen the banks people have dug out just leaving trees and boulders the size of cars just hanging with no support under them!
Still some good stuff to be found there tho-good advice from Karl...
My own personal most hated thing is tiny bits of wire-sometimes it seems like somebody has dumped a hundred or so wire brushes in the creek.Maybe decayed wire ropes?

Edited by user Sunday, 22 September 2013 6:16:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NECRO  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 7:08:19 PM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Wow awesome response Karl! and good point about the sluiced faces! I was in a 2WD and there had been some rain previously so stopped just before the memorial and just dropped down into the creek, think I may take my dirtbike or a 4WD up there next time so I can have a better look around!
And one of the boulders that had been undermined blew me away! how it was still perched there I dont know!? accident waiting to happen!
Cant wait to get up there again although there's a few spots a bit closer to home I want to check out first!
jm  
Posted : Sunday, 6 October 2013 10:19:29 PM(UTC)
jm

Hi Necro,

I have tried a lot of place around Nelson area. Sherry sluicing and detecting nothing much. Louis creek - found a little panning but not detecting. New Creek - found a couple of small nuggets around 0.5 grams. Shenandoah - nothing. Wakamarina - Found a few small nuggets and was there again today and found one small piece. Moonlight - best day was 0.7 ounces detecting. This was a one off though! I have found a lot of rings on Rabbit island as well.
I have tried the old workings at New Creek, Louis creek and courthouse flat as well but there is so much junk that it was just a waste of time.

I was thinking of trying up on the Table lands some time as there were nuggets found there.

Cheers,
Jon
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 6 October 2013 10:26:58 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Welcome to the forum Jon. Sounds like you have some good experience to share. ).7 oz from the Moonlight would have been good! Seems like a lot of ppl do well in there. I love the place.
This thread has some good info guys so keep it coming! It's been a bit dull around here on the gold front lately!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
overdog  
Posted : Monday, 7 October 2013 5:31:17 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Water was almost warm enough to tempt me into my wetsuit up the Wakamarina yesterday-almost!
2.4 in nice flakes detected-would have been more if I hadn't been a stubborn bastard and excavated a huge hole getting to the bottom of a barren crevice and run out of daylight ...
overdog  
Posted : Monday, 7 October 2013 5:32:23 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

That's 2.4 grams not ounces (",)
FossickFester  
Posted : Monday, 7 October 2013 7:57:17 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

nice find overdog, I'm looking at doing some fossicking up there this summer with my sluice box (ol'sluicey), either at the camp or hopefully at a claim with the owners permission... (hint, hint, hehehe) :)