New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Jd  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 11:30:55 AM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
School holidays me and the family will be their If you want to catch up pm me
their this weekend to jd
FossickFester  
Posted : Monday, 30 September 2013 5:02:59 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi Jd, How'd ya get on in Murch?
Jd  
Posted : Monday, 30 September 2013 5:12:35 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

I am of to Murchison Wednesday we ended up around the howard valley as I had to be home sunday so I had a couple of days around their I am also recovering from a hernia op so cant walk to far just yet but looking forward to a hunt jd
kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 30 September 2013 8:32:12 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday JD

My wife picked her mother up from Murchison in the weekend. Lots of rain and the rivers are way up supposedly. The Matakitaki river has been dug out down by the main road bridge due to previous floods so I wonder if there was any gold dug up with it. Mother in law thinks that the material dug up was left in piles. Would be interesting to check out at some stage.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Jd  
Posted : Monday, 30 September 2013 10:06:06 PM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Hi kiwi
I am always up for a road trip if you are keen I will check it out later in the week I have to go via nelson tie in another job but I will let you know how I get on on my return and yes the rivers were up I just run the detector over the banks up by the pylons jd
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 October 2013 2:42:06 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
So you have a detector? Having any luck with it? Will have to compare notes when I'm back
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
LBD  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 October 2013 3:12:47 AM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
The gravel removed at the Murchison Matakitaki bridge was screened and crushed for road metal....

And there are claims from Mammoth flat on theMatakitaki to where it meets the Buller....in case you were wondering
Jd  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 October 2013 10:54:14 AM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Hay their mr hatter yes I brought a gold bug 2. 6 months ago I have put it threw its paces over the winter and it has to pay for it self now I also have a 3 wheel bike and that saves a lot of walking like you I am out most days around marlborough on the hunt and LBD Thanks for the heads up on the claims I don't go on anyone's claim without permition I am new to Murchison area and yet to do my homework on the Matakitaki river but thanks for the feed back I am always keen to hook up with a Murchison local to show me the ropes and a hunting buddy jd
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 October 2013 3:52:26 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Jd Go to Quoted Post
I am of to Murchison Wednesday we ended up around the howard valley as I had to be home sunday so I had a couple of days around their I am also recovering from a hernia op so cant walk to far just yet but looking forward to a hunt jd

Is the road up to the howard public fossicking area (Porika Road) accessable by car or is it 4wd only in spring/summer time?
I'm hoping I can get my old commie up there...
watts  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 October 2013 3:04:30 PM(UTC)
watts

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I took a two wheel drive car up the Porika Track. It was spring and no real problem. Not muddy, but no metal from memory. Tad slippery in places. That was 4-5 years back now. It is no too far to walk if you can't get in by car. Maybe better to scope it first by foot than get stuck.
Gold Bug 2, Deepstar 3
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 October 2013 4:40:40 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: watts Go to Quoted Post
I took a two wheel drive car up the Porika Track. It was spring and no real problem. Not muddy, but no metal from memory. Tad slippery in places. That was 4-5 years back now. It is no too far to walk if you can't get in by car. Maybe better to scope it first by foot than get stuck.

cheers for the advice watts :) Scoping it out by foot is a damn good idea. Would hate to get the old commie stuck.
Jd  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 October 2013 12:17:54 PM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Hay friend
you will need 4wd I went their with a 3 wheeler 250 shaft drive that gets me most places and I leave the van on good ground I took my station wagon in their last Christmas it was a hell ride for the car and family and yes I got stuck right at the end lucky their was another fella their to help me if you want to walk it allow some time and its up hill for most of it I was up by the pylons good hunting jd
FossickFester  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 October 2013 1:21:04 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Thanks for the advice JD :)