New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Aereadnos  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 12:19:11 PM(UTC)
Aereadnos

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hey guys, I just recently bought an entry level detector (Fisher F2). When I unboxed it, I realised I had no Idea where to use it!!! If someone could be kind enough to give some decent locations (any tips and tricks would be appreciated too :) in dunedin. I had recently talked with a member of this forum and he explained the usefulness of a pinpointed... Could someone give a link where I can buy one (preferably a Garrett ProPointer)???

Thanks for the kind welcome into the detecting community.

Spenser Millburn
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 12:49:21 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aereadnos Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys, I just recently bought an entry level detector (Fisher F2). When I unboxed it, I realised I had no Idea where to use it!!! If someone could be kind enough to give some decent locations (any tips and tricks would be appreciated too :) in dunedin. I had recently talked with a member of this forum and he explained the usefulness of a pinpointed... Could someone give a link where I can buy one (preferably a Garrett ProPointer)???

Thanks for the kind welcome into the detecting community.

Spenser Millburn

Hi Spenser,

Welcome to the hobby. A local beach is always a good place to start. Perhaps the dry sand area. Dig everything till you get an idea of what the numbers and sounds mean.
You can find a Minelab Pro Find pin pointer here : www.detectnz.co.nz

Good luck.
Chris
Aereadnos  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 1:11:25 PM(UTC)
Aereadnos

New Zealand

Hi Chris, I am only a High School Student so I don't think I can afford a Pinpointer worth $270... Maybe If I find DotCom's hidden treasure :). So there's no other retailer that sells Pinpointers? I have tried a couple of beaches and have only found junk. I think I prefer to hunt on parks, landmarks etc (with permission of course).

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Spenser
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 1:47:18 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Hi Chris, I am only a High School Student so I don't think I can afford a Pinpointer worth $270... Maybe If I find DotCom's hidden treasure :). So there's no other retailer that sells Pinpointers? I have tried a couple of beaches and have only found junk. I think I prefer to hunt on parks, landmarks etc (with permission of course).

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Spenser

Fair enough Spenser.
Ok so maybe you need to find cash. If you haven't found any spendable coins yet I suggest you find a piece of ground at home where there are no signals. Place a few coins of different values down and pass your detector over them noting the sounds and numbers, especially the $2 and $1 coins. If you can remember them you should find more cash sooner.

Happy hunting.

MK

Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 2:48:07 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Any cheaper pinpointers then the Garrett Pro-pointer or Minelab Pro-finder kind of work but nowhere near as good as those 2 models. As Metal Kiwi says - you need cash, and the best way of getting it is to hunt out all those $1 & $2 coins laying around the place (hint - look for grassed areas which hold regular market days, then hit the place after every 2nd market day or so). It will be surprisingly quick before you have $270 worth, then clean the coins up and put them into the bank so you can buy a Pro-pointer or finder.

If you go for a cheap pinpointer straight away then you will be wasting the price of it because you will soon want to upgrade. Remember this hobby pays for itself so use any earnings from it to get the best gear possible.
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 3:18:01 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Shilo's post hit's the nail on the head. Buying a cheapo pin pinter is chucking money down the toilet. Hunt and sell until you've saved up to buy a good one.
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 3:27:09 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Find a park with a playground that has either a dairy or bus stop close by. Start near the bus stop or dairy then zig-zag your way across to the playground, this should be a well used path what-with people often walking/running between each point.

Hunt around the playground (if you got the 4" coil use that in the playground) check the ends of slides, under/infront/behind swings and anything you could hang upside down from or could have a quick sitting-break in.

Once the playground is done hit the grass along any other pathways, etc.

Fisher make a CHEAP (in several senses of the word) pin-pointer. And if you do the 'take it apart and tune it better' mod it gets pretty good range (not as good as a Garrett/etc though) but it'll speed up recovery times. After the mod, the only down-side is the knob/dial needs to be adjusted every time you turn it on (I'm thinking about throwing a momentary button/switch onto mine) and that gets boring really fast. It also doesn't changed tone or increase the frequency of beeps the closer you get to a target, but, if it goes off you're either an inch away or you've bumped the dial (happens a lot) oh and the battery cover is poop on it too, but that might just be mine.

I got through a few weeks of hunting without the pin pointer, but it was slow and caused plugs to be really messy as I'd grab handfuls of dirt and run them under my coil. As crap as the fisher is, it will save you time and get you digging cleaner in no time at all.

If it helps, some of the VDI readings from air testing on my F2:
50c 76
$1 62
$2 64

Obviously these could change with depth and the angle of the coin. But it gives you an idea. And the coins soon add up, just check my signature!

Best thing to do though, is to get out there and get some soil under ya coil.

And.. Let us know how it goes.
Fisher F2 - Hunts: 11, Rings: 3, Spendables: $70.20
Aereadnos  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 3:51:06 PM(UTC)
Aereadnos

New Zealand

Thanks for all of the tips :) I am pretty sure I WONT buy a cheap Pinpointer. I'm about to go detecting right now so I will keep in mind L0gic's F2 readings and hope for the best. I have had a lot of trouble in the past with finding permission so I havn't gotten to take advantage of dunedin's history (being the oldest city in NZ).

Thanks again everyone for the friendly guidance!
Aereadnos

Aereadnos  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 3:53:17 PM(UTC)
Aereadnos

New Zealand

Also can someone please explain to the benefits of having a better machine? Is an 8 inches (what the F2 can get) of depth enough?
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 4:02:17 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Take a coin, or something with you.
Turn your F2 on, hit the right plus once to get rid of iron.
Swing the MD left-right a few times, if you hear beeps at the end of each swing drop sensitivity, if you don't then bump up sensitivity to the point right before you hear them.

Then, with the coin in your spare hand close your eyes, extend your arm and drop the coin. Swing the MD, find the coin, with eyes still closed try to pinpoint the coin with the MD, open your eyes and see how far off you are.

Then do it a few times with your eyes open. Attack the coin from different angles too.

When you learn that pin pointing, and where under your coil the coin sits, that's where you have to dig!

The built-in pin pointing is pretty good on the F2, have a play with it!

I usually find a target using the 'crossing' method. Then sit the coil so the edge of the coil is about where I think the target is, hold the pin oping button and slowly swing back over. The lowest number on the screen and the loudest sound is what you're after!
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 4:14:01 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Also can someone please explain to the benefits of having a better machine? Is an 8 inches (what the F2 can get) of depth enough?

Well. You'll notice that the F2 just beeps at one of four tones when you find a target, it's pretty basic audio. If you look at something like the AT Pro (which actually has both audio modes) the pro/advanced mode drops the standard beeps and gives you tones that you can more easily read.

The tones then vary depending on target size, depth, etc.. So (in loose terms) imagine that a shallow $2 coin is going to be a louder response than a $2 coin 8-10 inches down. But yeah; you get depth, water proof, ground balancing, etc.

Some machines even have more advanced features where you can load 'programs' into them designed to make it easier to find coins, relics, etc.

The F2 will hold up pretty well for you though, it's a brilliant machine. One of the things you hear most from people who have upgraded to another detector is, "I wish I didn't sell my F2."

Edit:
Check this thread out if you have time.
http://metaldetectingfor...m/showthread.php?t=53930

Edited by user Friday, 4 October 2013 4:15:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 4:32:53 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

No on ever got laughed at for buying a F2 as their first detector. It's a great machine for beginners. And when you decide to upgrade, you hang onto it for a spare and for when a friend wants to try coin hunting with you.

Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 4:48:47 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
A better machine will improve your number of finds BUT not by much. For example a machine that costs twice as much as the F2 will only improve your finds by about 10% not twice as much. Depth isn't double and the only real advantage is being able to id the target better and to hunt in more difficult environments (salt water, high EMI areas etc).

Again wait until your finds add up enough to pay for a new machine then you can upgrade without it costing you anything in real terms. The F2 is a good beginners detector and instead of relying on a fancier detector to increase your finds, you will have better and faster success by fine tuning your own skills in detecting. How good you are at detecting has a much greater impact then how good the machine is.

Keep at the F2 and learn the skills first before upgrading.
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 6:23:18 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
In reference to the Pro-Pointer.

Ebay and be quick Garrett is clamping down on there resellers shipping International. Not a problem if you use a freight forwarder though.
Be careful as there are now many more on Ebay and the reason is.... you guessed it they are copies. I'll PM you a link to a seller I trust.

Scratch that he no longer ships International either
Well done Garrett you have successfully managed to promote copies of your own products!

Edited by user Friday, 4 October 2013 6:33:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 6:40:31 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
latch  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 6:56:59 PM(UTC)
latch

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
best to go and look around different parks and other high traffic areas to find treasure it depend what you want to find or find interesting,i have been doing this for under a year now in dunedin and alot of areas have been done you have to keep looking as there are quite a few detectorist here,the beaches are pretty usless they have been done hard,can still find stuff but not much.the f2 is awesome its what i started with and did well with,have been going out of town to do some detecting as more chance of finding things lately,gives a bell if ya want to go out
fiend hard and find all