New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Poll Question : Which is better Gold Bug for gold detecting in NZ?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Gold Bug 2
66 %
  Gold Bug Pro
33 %
  Total 6 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 5:41:41 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ok, I'm looking at getting myself a lightweight gold detector for bush bashing missions. When bush bashing I just get a bit over-it with the weight of the Minelab GPX 4500 and the leads between the battery on me to the device which tends to get snagged. I think the Minelab will get busted out more on open ground when it's not so annoying.

I had settled on getting a Gold Bug 2 but then read some opinions that seem to suggest that the Gold Bug Pro might be better (some people prefer one and others prefer the other - doesn't seem to be a clear divide).

I only want the detector for gold detecting so not too worried about how it will fare at coin and relic detecting. I do like the idea of being able to quickly discriminate a signal in high trash areas through as can get tedious digging the umpteen bit of wire out of gravel from old steel cables.

So... what are people's experiences with the different types of Gold Bug - is there any problems encountered with a particular model? (e.g. hot rocks / mineralised ground / problems in areas with concentrated black sands). Anyone used theirs much for gold detecting, and how did you find it?

This topic has come up before here and Robert wrote a good post here -
http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums/yaf_postst594_Fisher-Gold-Detectors.aspx
- which would recommend the Gold Bug 2 to me in this case.

I found this article that compares the two models -
http://www.goldrushnuggets.com/figobug2vsgo.html
- but it would be good to get feedback on the Gold Bug 2's sensitivity in relation to NZ's conditions.

A discussion on another forum -
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24101
- seems to lean towards the Gold Bug 2 in general

Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors (good info that covers all detectors) -
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm
- both sound good by Steve mentions in the discussion link above "I am a Gold Bug 2 guy myself but I am very, very aware a GMT and Gold Bug Pro will pull nuggets up much deeper. The GB2 is a very sensitive but shallow depth sniper."

Anyone want to wade in with their opinions and make my head hurt more? :P
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 6:10:16 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Having no experience with either machine or with fossicking I would recommend the GB 2. Reason is simply the higher the frequency the better a machine is at detecting gold & the GB2 is 71KHZ compared to 19KHZ of the Pro. Of course the lower the frequency the deeper it will go but it won't pick up the smaller nuggets as well.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 6:27:44 PM(UTC)
gavin

Found another good comparison post on another forum:
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21620&page=4#entry178205 (also some goods posts after this one)

And Steve's selection of detectors to take on a serious mission:
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24641

Looks like the Gold Bug Pro gets the really small stuff too:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/343983-gold-bug-pro-scores.html
I guess once you go too small it might actually be quite problematic finding the target!

Edited by user Thursday, 10 October 2013 6:37:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added more info

mintcar  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 6:42:22 PM(UTC)
mintcar

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Gavin, No question I had the same situation I would have sooner gone with the gold bug 11 but went with gold bug pro only because to use on beach, park etc gold pro does find gold but I would still buy gold bug 11 Regards Bill
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 6:49:42 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Gevin,
Do you want to test out X-terra 705 (x-terraSteve using one and doing very well) and if you like it, we can sort out price :-) (as i understand you would not need lesche and pinpointer)

Let me Know, and i can send it to you, so you can lay out all type of nuggets and compare with gold bug ?
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 7:07:41 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Gevin,
Do you want to test out X-terra 705 (x-terraSteve using one and doing very well) and if you like it, we can sort out price :-) (as i understand you would not need lesche and pinpointer)

Let me Know, and i can send it to you, so you can lay out all type of nuggets and compare with gold bug ?

3 machines in the mix? That will make my head hurt even more!! Thanks for the offer - will give it some thought. But at this point I'm still leaning towards a GB ;)

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 7:45:53 PM(UTC)
gavin

Anyone in Chch with a GB2 or GBP and willing to let me pop around with some small bits of gold to do a little test?
chrischch  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 7:51:36 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Your more than welcome to try my goldbug pro on any tests Gavin. I'm in Woolston. Just pm me for my number if you want. I can vouch for the pro getting small targets. Ive found the tiniest little pieces of lead at quite a depth...think slug gun pellet size and the signal is loud as hell. Thats in discrim mode too so I imagine all metal would be louder/better.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 8:09:15 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Your more than welcome to try my goldbug pro on any tests Gavin. I'm in Woolston. Just pm me for my number if you want. I can vouch for the pro getting small targets. Ive found the tiniest little pieces of lead at quite a depth...think slug gun pellet size and the signal is loud as hell. Thats in discrim mode too so I imagine all metal would be louder/better.

Cheers Chris - I'll take you up on that - very much appreciated! I'm sure I can show my gratitude in beer ;)
Stumbler  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 9:47:11 PM(UTC)
Stumbler

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gavin, perhaps you should give the Xterra 705 another thought as we've used one alongside a GB 2 on the same target and there doesn't seem much in it, think the 705 had a underwater 6in coil on?....you'd have to ask 'Bedrock'.
Sorry to not narrow your decision down!. If you ever do get this way!.... you can try them out on some gold, once you've helped move a ton or two of rocks, gravel, boulders etc.
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 10 October 2013 10:28:33 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
GB2 does not pack up as small as a GB Pro, long part of shaft wont fit in pack - Pro has auto ground balance, GB2's10 turn knob is pain in the butt. NUGGY
simon  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 12:26:21 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i could break my GB2 down into two pieces quicker than you could get into your battery harness for the minelab gavin.

i'd say the GB2 is prob a better frequency over the gold bug pro but i have seen it perform just as good at times too. that said it's pretty easy to find plenty of small stuff where many of these new gold bug pros have been. could just be that the GB2 owners have had their GB2's forages and have learnt more of it's ins and outs. there's still people using the original gold bug also to good effect.

personally after thinking about getting a pro and then seeing and hearing of many issues with the coils i am now just sticking to the GB2. it's handles heaps of knocks and falls on rock over it's times and still performs. i think a lot of the newer more plasticky bodies won't handle too many years of punishment. then again it depends on the country you're in. tussock will cushion impact, bedrock will not.

the only trouble i've had with my GB2 is the iron discrimination switch wore out. but prob just a sign of how much use it had had.
5AMP  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 3:43:27 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Interesting discussion and thank you for those references Gavin. Nobody here is discussing the ordinary Gold Bug
which is advertised by the NZ suppliers alongside the the GB Pro and GB2.

I have one but must say I have never found any gold though that is more likely to be my choice of site rather than the GB. Does anyone have any experience with this model and how it compares with the two other GBs?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 9:24:00 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
5AMP,

I have done a side by side comparison (air) of the Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 and F75 several times. With big nuggets they are all pretty much the same. When things get small the Gold Bugs outperform the F75. In practice I use the F75 for gold and regularly find pretty small stuff and have gotten to where I don't feel like I am hindered by not using a dedicated gold machine. I have never been able to see any difference between the Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro. Fisher says the difference is that the Pro has upgraded software but never really specified what the upgrade entailed. I asked one of the engineers if the upgrade was worth the extra money and he said not as far as he was concerned so I don't think there is much difference. When things get really tiny the Gold Bug 2 outperforms the other Gold Bugs. It is really pretty amazing what they will pick up. Fisher says the Gold Bug 2 is the most sensitive gold detector ever made, and I don't doubt that it is true.

If it were me and I wanted a detector just for gold I would take the Gold Bug 2. If I mostly wanted to hunt gold but also do some general detecting I would get a regular Gold Bug, and if I mostly wanted to do general detecting and some gold detecting I would get an F75.

Edited by user Friday, 11 October 2013 9:25:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: grammer

luke  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 10:34:57 PM(UTC)
luke

New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have the cheap Goldbug (not the pro) and find lots. been over well hunted ground and still pick up bit.

just today i spend a hour at a site i know some one had been over with a mine lab and found 3 bits.

the build is a bit crap but i do give it some abuse. I abseil in to get to places most can't and even use it on the side of cliffs on the way down. last month i fell 15ft in to the kawarau river. took the battery out and dried it out with a hair dried when i got home and works fine still. its been under water and dried out 4 times now. fallen off cliffs and rocks rolled over it, fallen off the back of my motorbike too. The battery door and one of the rubbers for the knobs is missing, the casings is taped up to stop the water and dust getting in. but it keeps going.

The only down side is i had to buy a new coil as the first one stopped working. i thought it had got water in as i was using it in the rivers heaps. But found out one of the wires at the other end had come loss. fixed it so now have a spear coil.

I think for the money get the cheap gold bug for sure. there's so little in it you may as well save a few $$$s. i would like to try the Pro with the upgraded software to see if i can see any difference.

Hope that helps.
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 11:31:27 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luke Go to Quoted Post
I have the cheap Goldbug (not the pro) and find lots. been over well hunted ground and still pick up bit.

just today i spend a hour at a site i know some one had been over with a mine lab and found 3 bits.

the build is a bit crap but i do give it some abuse. I abseil in to get to places most can't and even use it on the side of cliffs on the way down. last month i fell 15ft in to the kawarau river. took the battery out and dried it out with a hair dried when i got home and works fine still. its been under water and dried out 4 times now. fallen off cliffs and rocks rolled over it, fallen off the back of my motorbike too. The battery door and one of the rubbers for the knobs is missing, the casings is taped up to stop the water and dust getting in. but it keeps going.

The only down side is i had to buy a new coil as the first one stopped working. i thought it had got water in as i was using it in the rivers heaps. But found out one of the wires at the other end had come loss. fixed it so now have a spear coil.

I think for the money get the cheap gold bug for sure. there's so little in it you may as well save a few $$$s. i would like to try the Pro with the upgraded software to see if i can see any difference.

Hope that helps.

Wow that's pretty hardcore! Thats the way to do it though to get to the spots that others cannot. How do you get back up though when you abseil down? And how do you retrieve the rope from the bottom if you dont go back up?
If I fell 15ft into a river, i'd have to keep it quiet else my mrs would never let me back out! She hates me going in tunnels and old water races in case the "alpine fault goes off"! Guess its the pitfalls of a bad experience with quakes.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
luke  
Posted : Saturday, 12 October 2013 9:25:35 AM(UTC)
luke

New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 13 post(s)
i'm a arborist so climb trees all day so use the same stuff. i use a prusik loop so i can go up and down. normal leaving the rope up so i can get back up.

my misses knows as i come home muddy and wet and she hates me going off. But i always tell her where im going and she always tells me i shouldn't go.

The good thing is she's a nurse so can fix me when im broken.
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 12 October 2013 3:54:16 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Ok, I'm looking at getting myself a lightweight gold detector for bush bashing missions.

I had settled on getting a Gold Bug 2 but then read some opinions that seem to suggest that the Gold Bug Pro might be better (some people prefer one and others prefer the other - doesn't seem to be a clear divide).

I only want the detector for gold detecting so not too worried about how it will fare at coin and relic detecting. I do like the idea of being able to quickly discriminate a signal in high trash areas through as can get tedious digging the umpteen bit of wire out of gravel from old steel cables.

So... what are people's experiences with the different types of Gold Bug - is there any problems encountered with a particular model? (e.g. hot rocks / mineralised ground / problems in areas with concentrated black sands). Anyone used theirs much for gold detecting, and how did you find it?

Anyone want to wade in with their opinions and make my head hurt more? :P

That's easy, listen to yourself, Shilo, Robert and I. Go with the GB2. It's simply better than the GB or GB Pro.
I'd say the 705 is more in the catagory of the GB, GB PRO, AT Gold etc. And the 705 Gold Package coils don't like taking a dip (not a fault just not designed to do it).

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 12 October 2013 5:15:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!!

I think I'll have to make myself a list of pros and cons from all this discussion then decide from there. The GB2 was a sure thing originally, but the GBP does see to have it's own strengths and is a little cheaper. I seriously think I'm about 50/50 at the mo. Will have to have some deep thought about how I want to use it then compare with pros and cons.

I'll prob not consider the X-Terra 705 as the Gold Bug seems to have proved itself under NZ conditions and it's a fair bit more expensive. Hard to justify getting a second toy that's too expensive when my Minelab GPX 4500 hasn't paid for itself yet! :P

Another video comparison I just found...

Comparison between Minelab Eureka Gold, Fisher Gold Bug 2 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Edited by user Saturday, 12 October 2013 5:46:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added video