New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 4:52:10 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Cool, someone may as well get the stuff out of the ground!!!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
skuzzb  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 4:54:29 PM(UTC)
skuzzb

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
guess we are lucky not to have laws like in the USA,here is a interesting article

http://www2.timesdispatc...ts-366-day-t-ar-1787356/

Edited by user Wednesday, 11 April 2012 11:36:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 April 2012 9:24:32 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i haven't been into skippers canyon for a while but i know the new owner of all the land between queenstown and wanaka (that's right, pretty much ALL the land) was going to do a little bit of wild pine tidying. last thing you want is your new block getting overgrown. funnily enough they don't seem to know or care so much for the area's history. That said there is so much history in there you could hardly turn a digget without messing something up.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...uilt-near-historic-sites
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 April 2012 9:36:24 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
i haven't been into skippers canyon for a while but i know the new owner of all the land between queenstown and wanaka (that's right, pretty much ALL the land) was going to do a little bit of wild pine tidying. last thing you want is your new block getting overgrown. funnily enough they don't seem to know or care so much for the area's history. That said there is so much history in there you could hardly turn a digget without messing something up.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...uilt-near-historic-sites

From that article:

"Lange produced hit albums for AC/DC and Def Leppard before swerving to mainstream attention by marrying, co-writing songs for and producing albums by Canadian pop songstress Shania Twain. The couple bought Motatapu and Mt Soho stations for $21.4 million in 2005. Despite separating in 2008, Lange has kept his interests in the properties up and been lauded for his conservation work on them. In 2009 he bought Glencoe Station and last year Coronet Peak Station."

...... and recently people were up in arms about the Chinese buying a few farms. Makes me wonder how much of NZ's acreage is really in foreign hands already.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 April 2012 9:58:30 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

metal kiwi:

a hell of a lot of nz is foreign owned. start with downtown queenstown here. you can pretty much colour code the are block by block with foreign ownership by country. the irish, the sinaporeans, the japanese, etc.

the back blocks are no different. except it gets more obvious when the likes of lange puts a spotlight on it by slyly buying a vast chunk of it in progression.

i'm always doubtful on this as the people that live here get barred from the land forever. you could say it is private so keep off. yet this land has been pretty much waste land forever, bar some farming. now you get 1 guy in, who wants it to look pretty all for himself. unfortunately there always seems to be a financial motivation behind it all which will play out over subsequent years exposing the person's true character for all to see.

over this summer i have had the pleasure of conversing what fellow prospectors of all walks. its sad to hear what has changed over time. remote places where no harm was done are all off limits. under lock and key. farm management has been instructed to keep ALL folk out. no exceptions. OSH has not helped this cause either, more has provided an excuse.

Often i see historic structures being bulldozed by livestock in them. the historic places people can't save everything but it is looking like a joke. out of site out of mind. close the likes of the skippers and macetown roads and hopefully people will forget what is out there. a bit like a bad tui "yeah right" billboard.

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 14 April 2012 10:11:20 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...consent-to-mine-DOC-land

i always wondered why no one has had a good go down there. sort of a forgotten corner of the gold country.

a hell of a lot of other minerals down in the longwoods also.
simon  
Posted : Friday, 4 May 2012 11:49:37 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

glass earth in trouble with the authorities:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...or-work-at-historic-site

the damage was done quite a while ago it seems.

i found it odd they mention the reworking of the same old tailings. if these were reworked in the 90's i doubt they would be reworked again now. more likely they were making fresh roads etc to get to a fresh patch of tailings that had not been reworked.

while i understand that historic stuff needs protected it seems time and time again there is no problem until someone disturbs such. then its either a neighbour sticking there nose in or a case of the we want some money/stop progress/i'm a greenie type scenario where they simply don't like anyone doing anything to be frank about it.

it's a shame that such historic sites are not being documented by modern means before they all turn to dust anyway. there are so many little stone walls etc not everything can be protected. the trouble seems to be each thing is special to different people in varying ways. usually depending on how close to their home it is.

i see stuff that the average person probably never sees. i would love to document it all but today's problem is they only want to know about it if its been damaged.

another example would be all the stuff dredging brings up. it would be great to hand all the rusty relics in to some museum or something for display but i'm sure you would soon have the h p people on your case.

i see them as a bit like doc. too much to care for and too little money. and probably the same unrealistic government ideologies.
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 May 2012 7:36:02 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

a guy in dunedin has a whole gold mining set up for sale inc. 4 inch dredge, pump, riffle boxes etc.

i think this would be good for someone who wants some gear that someone else has perfected at a way better price than buying new stuff.

http://www.trademe.co.nz...uction-479446763.htm#qna
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 2 June 2012 6:18:05 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
a guy in dunedin has a whole gold mining set up for sale inc. 4 inch dredge, pump, riffle boxes etc.

i think this would be good for someone who wants some gear that someone else has perfected at a way better price than buying new stuff.

http://www.trademe.co.nz...uction-479446763.htm#qna

Would be better off putting the 2000 toward a decent dredge instead of buying some scrap metal.
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 2 June 2012 7:25:14 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Haha yeah i recon!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
2 Pages<12