New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
simon  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 5:12:27 AM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i see in todays news that the english government is actually encouraging detectorists to get out there and get into it.

apparently they are keen to unearth more history and hopefully some more treasure troves. this follows a guy a while back finding a shitload of coins i think.

they let the find keep and of lesser significance after mapping the site where its found.

a world away from the governments approach here. not that that is too much real old history to be found here.

simon
simon  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 5:14:15 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

here's the article if anyone is interested:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/t...reasure-seekers-paradise

simon.
Eagle  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 8:49:38 AM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
They are lucky too as the can pretty much roam where they like,unlike in our landowner locked down country.

Dont forget your gate keys!!!!!!

eagle
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 November 2011 8:34:17 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...its-for-Australian-miner

an australian company has been allowed to explore for gold within the bendigo historic goldfields area.

now i know there's still a heap of gold still there. there were problems with ventilation and water back in the day because they went so deep into the earth. the gold didn't actually run out, it just got too hard to extract.

bendigo had some of the richest reef rock in the world.

i wonder what this company is planning. open cast would obviously be at the top of the list perhaps. not too many mines going underground these days.

hard to imagine any of us getting the go ahead to even wave a metal detector around on such a reserve but that's what money does i guess. shame its another foreign company when there are nz ones that could have had a go.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 10 November 2011 3:14:04 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

http://www.stuff.co.nz/e...ly-kills-800-rare-snails

DOC has killed many of the rare snails it spent many dollars on removing from their natural habitat at the stockton mine.

another notch in the belt.

if doc were in this election they would be phil goff i guess.
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 10 November 2011 5:49:22 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Britain has a great law for "treasure hunters". Over there when you find something of historic importance you have to register it and allow the museums the opportunity of buying it from you for its market value. If no museums bid on it then it is yours to keep or sell privately. The landowner where the find was dug up gets a 50% (negotiable) of the proceeds.

Compared to our laws where anything over 90 years old belongs to the crown - even if it was dug up on private land. All this does is to put a stop on any finds being made known and sold on the quiet ("It really did belong to my great great grandfather!"). The historic society, museums, archaeologists etc all miss out on any opportunity for researching the find.

Edited by user Thursday, 10 November 2011 5:50:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 10 November 2011 7:07:05 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Eagle Go to Quoted Post
They are lucky too as the can pretty much roam where they like,unlike in our landowner locked down country.

Dont forget your gate keys!!!!!!

eagle

It is not a matter of this land being locked down but largely how you approach the land owner and the relationship you develop with him - if you are obnoxious then expect to be treated obnoxiously. Yes and dont forget your gate keys as it is probably the type of ridiculous suggestion I might expect because that attitude destroys it for you and all others...the right attitude and the right approach will get you onto many properties but some people really are their own worst enemies.

One of Auckland's members of this forum has just enjoyed a great trip down here and has a nice sample of gold to take home and is looking forward to his next trip - its how you approach people and how you treat them but smart comments and smart digs only ostracise a person more.

I believe the right of entry onto private land in the UK is much the same as in New Zealand and I also believe that the right to enter onto private land is at the discretion of the landowner and subject to any conditions that landowner might impose - for example you might be allowed to take a photograph of his historic barn from the public road and he might allow you to go onto the land to look at it but he can impose the restriction that you cannot photograph it from within the bounds of his property. (from UK photographers rights) I assume and maybe mem can correct me that in order to detect on private land you would also need the permission of the land owner. At the end of the day I think we are better off here - I understand that to try fishing on many of the rivers in the UK you really are tempting fate and as for shooting a rabbit or deer!

Edited by user Thursday, 10 November 2011 7:17:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 10 November 2011 7:29:22 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Britain has a great law for "treasure hunters". Over there when you find something of historic importance you have to register it and allow the museums the opportunity of buying it from you for its market value. If no museums bid on it then it is yours to keep or sell privately. The landowner where the find was dug up gets a 50% (negotiable) of the proceeds.

Compared to our laws where anything over 90 years old belongs to the crown - even if it was dug up on private land. All this does is to put a stop on any finds being made known and sold on the quiet ("It really did belong to my great great grandfather!"). The historic society, museums, archaeologists etc all miss out on any opportunity for researching the find.

I did have a smile at your second paragraph as you are so correct - you did get it from your grandfather - as long as grandfather got it before the law came in to affect - I am unsure of when the law relating to 'historic' places, artifacts etc came into effect but it may have been about 1976 so that find you made last week was 'actually found' back in 1940 or thereabouts or even before - at least thats your story and stick to it.

Ironically enough as Simon, Eagle and others have said it is far better in Europe where you will generally get to retain what you found and what you found could be of real historical interest, Roman coins, Celtic coins or medieval coins, bronze age axe heads and crusader era swords - its all there, you can look for it with your detector and if a museum wants it then they have to pay its auction house value I understand so that you may not get to keep your find BUT you get its value and you dont get prosecuted either! You will only lose your find and risk prosecution if you beak the laws relating to Treasure Trove. Treasure Trove laws relate to England and Wales only and not to Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Treasure Trove dates back is common law from the reign of Henry II but can be traced back to 'Finders Keepers' - Anglo Saxon England. It affects Gold, Silver or Bullion which has been concealed - whether buried or hidden in an ancient building, cave etc - present law administered under the Coroners Act 1984. If the owner or his/her descendants cannot be traced - and it has to be decided if the Treasure was hidden with view to recovery or abandoned, then it is declared 'treasure Trove' and the finder is rewarded with its full value but if no institution or museum, National or Local does not want it then the find is returned to finder.

At this point it is noted that the finder gets it NOT the land owner - for this reason prior to allowing entry onto his/her land a land owner or occupier should come to an agreement with the detectorist over the division of spoils, finds etc in the event that any finds are made. often in England a detectorist and the land owner will make an agreement prior to the detectorist having access to hunt for coins etc

Some of the Treasure Trove finds in England over the last few years are real eye openers - most are coin hoards - eg In 1978 there was a hoard of 54,951 Roman bronze coins found, 1995 there were 256 Celtic Gold Staters found and these actually rewrote history, 1994 there were 5,099 English Civil War coins found, 1992 a Roman hoard of 565 Gold coins, 14,789 Sillver coins and 24 Bronze coins plus much more was found and every year it is estimated that 400,000 coins are found in England, most in hoards.

My reference is Seaby Coins of England and the UK.

The interesting irony in this country is the fact that if you have money then the worlds your oyster - in other words people like the owners of Macraes can tear up hundreds of acres of land including historic sites which can never be reinstated, the only benefit is a little employment for New Zealanders, some contracts and a 1% or 2% royalty on the gold and then the gold goes off shore...,and if you go and take a trailer load of gravel form the top of a tailings heap that is weather down in any case then you get into trouble.

Edited by user Friday, 11 November 2011 11:12:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 11 November 2011 11:25:31 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
here's the article if anyone is interested:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/t...reasure-seekers-paradise

simon.

A great article Simon but doesnt it make a bloke jealous!

I dont know about Bendigo though - I had a fellow from one of the major companies came to see me and he told me where they had found anomalies which indicated the probably presence of large amounts of economically viable ore but I havent seen them do anything about it yet. In any case I hope they dont until the people of New Zealand wrestle control of the country from the politicians of today and place it in the hands of a policial system that is there for New Zealand and will not allow off shore interests to dictate terms so that mining is done by New Zealanders or in the case of the likes of Macraes annexed into State ownership and the gold extracted becomes the property of the crown on behalf of the people of New Zealand. Until all large scale mining operations are in New Zealand hands and the gold becomes the property of us then I dont want to see any of our country pillaged for the benefit of foreigners.

There was some specimen stonbe taken from quite a few of the Otago goldmines - I have two of the specimens which were sent to raise capital for the OPQ at Waipori and the Golden Progress at Oturehua and both have gold not just clearly visible but nuggets within the stone - the latter specimen might have upwards of three penny weight of gold in it and maybe more. I picked up a small slab of stone from site which was claimed and never worked and under a microscope around forty colours can clearly be seen and without the microscope several are clearly visible...I am sure that there is still good gold in quartz about - its just a matter of finding it.

Edited by user Friday, 11 November 2011 12:47:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 11 November 2011 12:05:53 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
A while ago the Te Tahi Detector club in Auckland approached Auckland Airport to be able to detect on some historically significant ground prior to the bull dozers going in to lenghten the runways. Funny old thing, they never got a reply and now the area is lost forever.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 9:59:42 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

the following link from the southland times, re a new gold suction dredge to work the clutha from the roxburgh dam downstream to the tuapeka mouth:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...ng-banks-on-elusive-gold
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 11:19:39 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
very interesting its a tab bigger than my dredge
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 10:14:14 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

when i hear the word suction dredge and then see on what scale they are talking of when i see the size of the pontoon for this i hope they have done their research on how big/many boulders/tailings their are in the clutha riverbed. it will be interesting to see the technology used in this operation. in effect though it will have to go where there isn't too much in the way of big boulders, or be able to simply suck between the boulders. i wonder how far you could see with underwater camera gear?
LepreSean  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 10:46:43 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
the following link from the southland times, re a new gold suction dredge to work the clutha from the roxburgh dam downstream to the tuapeka mouth:

Cheers, have to go have a look. The plant will not be using any chemical process, it will be interesting to see how the black sands are managed, and the dual currents the river has,visibility is never usually any good at depth, hmmmmm. It will no doubt float past my camp at some point, might need a hand with the concentrate.
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 10:53:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

I would wish them the very best of luck as I wish all those game enough to embark on a new adventure - I hope their dreams come to fruition and I hope that they will be rewarded more than sufficiently for taking the plunge and constructing such an ambitious dredge...I like it.
exkiwi123  
Posted : Sunday, 18 December 2011 4:54:17 PM(UTC)
exkiwi123

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Suction dredge // back when the roxburgh dam was finished hugh amounts of people turned up to look for gold inthe dry riverbed not much was reported so hope these guys have plenty of loose change hanging around What would a dredge that cost to build and run for year $1m plus They have huge streach of the clutha to mine what i can remember there was some very large boulders in the river // ex kiwi123 happy xmas to all in nz
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 2 February 2012 8:24:09 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

http://www.stuff.co.nz/w...im-at-3-5b-sunken-bounty

not a bad find. more valuable than gold too.
Maverick  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 12:18:53 AM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
quite a different approach over there huh?
they have thousands of years of history, and are quite happy (within limits) for people to
go out and seek it and celebrate it, hell even make money from it.
over here it's a different story, you find so much as a rust old axe head and the world come to a halt
while the busy bodies decide what is now not allowed to happen anymore

http://www.stuff.co.nz/t...ensitive-for-development

there is every reason not to report anything you find in this country.
it always leads to more rules and more forbidden activities.

yeah i know, i'm a grumpy old sod
simon  
Posted : Friday, 24 February 2012 9:51:22 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

I know it's not gold but this may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/o...d-unearthed-in-Australia

after 26 years of mining rio tinto has found a very rare pink diamond in its diamond mine.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 1:42:12 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

an aussie company is looking to work over all of the golden bay goldfields and some:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/b...want-to-resume-gold-hunt
2 Pages12>