New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 October 2013 9:03:59 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
On the off-chance...

Anyone in or around Christchurch got a Gold Bug Pro / 2 they'd be happy for me to rent for a weekend? I'm keen to try before I buy.

overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 October 2013 5:07:05 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Gav-not planning to head down your way for a while but if you are around Nelson anytime give me a yell...
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 October 2013 8:55:09 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers for the offer. Just hoping to borrow one for a decent couple of days so I can get my head down and work out how it works at my own pace and figure out if it's what I want to buy myself. Might just have to take a leap and buy before I try if there's none on offer close by.
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 October 2013 10:07:56 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Id let you borrow mine but I tend to use it most days and weekend at the moment. Try emailing FoiledAgain as he hasnt been on lately so may not be using his goldbug?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Foiled again  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:08:36 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
hey guys...yeah nah my goldbug aint 100% lately. for a while now the buttons seem crossed/shorted and you push ground grab/pinpoint and all it does is reduced the notch number. thought i had it sussed with cracking it open a few times and spraying the board with contact cleaner but still goes on the blink pretty soon after. a bit frustrating i can tell ya. still usable without the pin point function but cant groundbalance. sometimes you might just get it to do it, dunno if i should send it somewhere or get some pieces of eight together and get another detector. its only about 2 1/2 years old. im second owner and it has done some work since new lol
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:11:06 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Yeah that detector has been round hagley a few times now Id say with both owners! That's a bummer it's playing up on you still. I had forgotten about that.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 10:24:15 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Id let you borrow mine but I tend to use it most days and weekend at the moment. Try emailing FoiledAgain as he hasnt been on lately so may not be using his goldbug?

No worries Chris - I had no expectations. I very much appreciate you allowing me to pop around and having a wee look/play though - thanks again :)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 1:12:22 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin
will have my gold bug and eureka gold at the claim labour weekend hoping someone can show me how they work you are welcome to use them the eureka is for sale so maybe
kiwikeith
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 1:46:59 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi gavin
will have my gold bug and eureka gold at the claim labour weekend hoping someone can show me how they work you are welcome to use them the eureka is for sale so maybe
kiwikeith

Cheers Keith - much appreciated. I was hoping a few people will have detectors in tow so I can get an idea which ones work best for what I want. Hopefully there's no rain so the river doesn't get too high for getting in to Pell Stream at labour weekend ;)
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 3 November 2013 10:37:28 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
On the off-chance...

Anyone in or around Christchurch got a Gold Bug Pro / 2 they'd be happy for me to rent for a weekend? I'm keen to try before I buy.

Hi there Gavin.....hows things? Whats wrong with your 4500?????? That will piss bowl a gold bug. IMHO :)

Hows this for one crevice with the 4500? There is no way a goldbug would have got down to these. The first piece was a very very faint signal....almost a nothing signal & could easily have been a bit of ground noise or a bit of EMI from close by powelines. Was down 12" & once that piece was out the rest just kept on coming. The bigger bits center right were from the day before at another spot.

55 bits of detected gold on the first day.
UserPostedImage

Left click on this & you should get some video footage

UserPostedImage

Checking the crecive for any more signals

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I went back three more times & back packed the digging dirt down to a creek to pan out. Got this the first time panning off the dirt. The bigger bits around the coin were detected after opening up the crevice a bit more.

UserPostedImage

And this from the last time panning off the dirt

UserPostedImage

All up just under 22 grams. :) There may still be a few more rats & mice to clean up but it is a hell walk in there. Not to mention the back packing of the dirt to the creek.

Good luck out there

JW :)

gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 3 November 2013 11:23:08 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Bloody fantastic John. I reckon there will be a few more trips into there. I can see why you're not back up north yet. It would be a wonderful day up here when a dollar coin could be used to give scale to the find. Hope the gold god continues to smile on you.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 3 November 2013 6:18:02 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi JW,

Love the photos that help tell the story - good wee find there. Glad you're doing well down there :)

Just looking for a second option. I'll still use the GPX 4500, but think it's easier to use in open country like Otago, but wanted a lighter easier option for bush covered west coast bush bashing missions. Just get fed up of all the connecting and un-connecting to/from battery, weight, etc. when I need to take it on and off when negotiating waterfalls, precarious bits, etc.

My missus is supposed to be having a thai boxing fight down Wanaka in a few weekends time so I'll be aiming to get a bit of gold fun in as well. Will start to research where I want to go - quite a lot of choice down there from all the pins I've got stuck in the map from locations I've read about in various books. Would be good to catch up if you're keen.

Cheers,
Gavin
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 4 November 2013 9:20:41 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Gavin, Thank you.
Yer I know what you mean. I got a Whites Goldmaster for the same reason but cant put down the 4500 long enough to give the Whites a decent go. I have found gold with the Whites but I know the 4500 will get gold at a much greater depth that the Whites wouldnt get down to & the smallest I have found with the 4500 is .03 of a gram with the little 6" coiltek mono. Only bummer with the 6" coil is that it is a bit like painting a house with an artists brush. Ok for small areas of exposed bed rock though :)

Good luck out there

JW :)

Edited by user Monday, 4 November 2013 9:21:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 November 2013 10:03:16 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
ok Robert time for you to step in and show what you get with the F75...lmao.... never thought it could get bits that small....

Great pics jw...love all that gold...22 grams....dam im lucky to get half a gram in an outing where I go..and it's small...lol

Edited by user Tuesday, 5 November 2013 10:05:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/