New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

luke  
Posted : Thursday, 31 October 2013 5:32:48 PM(UTC)
luke

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi

I've got a modded minelab GP extreme on the way from Oz. Can't wait to get my hand on it.

Any tips for someone that's never used one before? i have a gold bug and find a bit with that but guessing its going to nothing like that.

it only has a 8" mono coil so may have to get something bigger to go with it at some point. Any suggestions of what may be good a good coil for Otago way?

Finger crossed it gets here quickly.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 3 November 2013 8:27:52 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
G'day Luke, The sky is the limit when it comes to coils for a minelab PI machine. For our conditions & the spots you are more than likely going to be detecting the smaller coils are the best. The 8" is not a bad one for here. Even smaller is better. Coiltek 10 x 5 mono & their 6" round mono are ideal for exposed bedrock. Small coil = very very sensitive/deadly on small gold near the surface. So if you are on shallow/exposed bed rock then the gold isnt going to be deep. Our gold is mostly small any way. The coils are shower proof but not water proof.....well not guaranteed to be water proof....as in submerging into a creek. I sacrificed a 6" coiltek mono for this purpose & it is still going strong after a few years of under water abuse. :)
The smaller coils are also great for poking & proding in to tight spots....like between rocks & tussocks or putting up on edge & dragging back through narrow cracks & crevices. As you go up in coil size you will get better depth on larger gold but you will start to sacrifice sensitivity on the smaller gold. Coil size is always a trade off on depth verses sensitivity depending how deep & how big/small the gold is.
With large coils, 18" & above, you need good open & clear spaces to swing & the gold needs to be a bit on the larger size if there is going to be a bit of depth to it. It helps to have an idea of how deep the bed rock is & the unknown of course is what size the gold is. LOL :) We all want large but they are few & far between but we are for ever the optomist.....other wise we wouldnt be prospectors.

Good luck out there

JW :)
luke  
Posted : Sunday, 3 November 2013 9:25:42 AM(UTC)
luke

New Zealand

I have my goldbug that i have used on bedrock and in rivers. Got gold in a few different spots and was going to try the same areas to see about getting beeper bits in the same areas. Most are sub grams but have a few bit over a gram and the biggest at 8g.

I take it the 8" mono would get the sub grams fine so was thinking of getting a coil for the deeper bits over 1g+. maybe a 14" mono or something. would that be to big? would i be better with a DD coil? what about a 15" x 12" Commander Mono?
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 November 2013 10:45:31 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Luke, My favourite all round coil is the minelab 11" commander mono. Still has very good sensitivity on small gold, sub grammers, even at a bit of depth but I know that if there is a bigger piece at depth it will get those too that a smaller coil would miss. The only thing with the minelab 11" coil is that it becomes touch sensitive after a while which is a real pain. I am on to my fourth one. I went out tonight & got a .1 gram piece with an 11 x 17 Nuggetfinder mono. The nuggetfinder coils are really good. I have a 12 x 7 too that I have found a lot of gold with. They make a 12" round mono which I will get when my latest 11" commander gets touch sensitive. When I find a patch of gold I will go over the area with quite a few different size coils. That way you leave very little to nothing behind. Smaller coils will get the smaller shallower gold & as you go up in size you will get bigger bits at more depth. The commander 12 x 15 is a good coil too. Quite heavy for its size to swing all day unless you have a hip stick to take the weight.
I would stick with mono's. I have a few DD's but never use them with the 4500 as you can adjust the settings in most conditions to get a
mono running quiet. With the Extreme you may need a DD if you are close to powerlines or an electric fence.
It does pay to have a good selection of coils to cover all avenues.....but then it depends where & what conditions you are going to be detecting in & how often you are going to be out there doing it.

Good luck out there

JW :)
goldtimer  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 November 2013 3:18:55 AM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yep good advice JW.
Luke, the 15x12 is a great coil but as JW says it is quite heavy, if you are looking for an allrounder for hunting streams also, there are two things I would recommend
1. Your coil should be open web design, (not solid) unless it is small like the 6"
2. You should get a mono ( you already have the Goldbug for disc.)

Don't get a coil that is too big. Perhaps a 12x7 or something similar size would be good. For an allrounder.
If you are going to be searching open areas also, get a larger coil specifically for that. Horses for courses.
The 8" is a good crumb-cleaner coil.

Good luck
luke  
Posted : Sunday, 10 November 2013 4:38:37 PM(UTC)
luke

New Zealand

Thanks for the input guys. Now i just need to save a little bit to get one.

Thinking of the 11" commander mono. i have read lots and it gets great reviews, its also cheaper then most other coils i was thinking about.