New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Stealth  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 November 2013 10:54:21 PM(UTC)
Stealth

Groups: Registered

So I have found an exposed quartz vein and have narrowed down some likely spots along it that I want to.... investigate further.

Long story short, how would people here recommend I extract some quartz using hand tools?

I was thinking of taking a 4 or 8lb sledge hammer or pick to it. But the thought of a rock hammer also sprang to mind.

Its in an out of the way place where noise or being seen is not an issue, but access is an issue and involves going for a swim/dive. It's above the high tide mark with a decent ledge for me to stand/work on for a few hour either side.

As long as it's hand tools (even a pick) I can get it there. Just needs not be more than 5 or 6 kg's.

Any suggestions?
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 November 2013 12:16:19 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Hmmmm. How soft is the rock either side of the quartz? No use beating yourself up trying to break through a pile of very hard quartz when you can just burrow out the softer rock on either side of it then hammer time to fracture it off.

I'd be tempted to take in a battery hammer drill with masonry bits to get started on the soft rock to the side. Chuck it in a couple of thick-walled zip bags for the underwater segment.

Stealth  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 November 2013 8:11:56 AM(UTC)
Stealth

Groups: Registered

Thats a good idea, I have just the drill for it as well.