New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kingtnarg  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:48:30 AM(UTC)
kingtnarg

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hello,

My Name is Grant, i am new to the forum and me and my dad have just brought a Fisher f4 and a Garret pin pointer pro. We are very interested in finding old coins and relics but are not sure where to look legally in the Waikato/Waipa area. I was at the lake in Cambridge the other day and was told off by a lady walking past saying that she was going to complain about me (im not sure who to). The lake is a public park and i thought that was ok but now i am second guessing myself.

All advice is much appreciated. When i am a seasoned pro at metal detecting i will be passing on some advice!
andy  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 November 2013 12:22:07 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
puplic parks are open to all members of public and in most cases you are alowed to detect in them!some people just get their nickers in a not over nothing!pay them no attention coz thats all they want!as long as you leave the area you detect neat and tidy and as close to what it looked like when you arived you shouldnt have to much problems!check out the metal detecting code of ethic in the other section it has some good basic guidlines and advice!cheers!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 November 2013 3:00:56 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Agree with Andy, that lady doesn't know what she is talking about. Just make sure you dig your plugs (holes) correctly so it doesn't show or kill of the grass and you will be OK (see that code of ethics). If it happens again and you can't be bothered dealing with those people who are just on a power trip then I suggest detecting when the park is quiet and not many people around (early hours of the morning etc), this is not "sneaking" as you are doing nothing wrong - just a way of avoiding the know it alls.

By the way I had a quick detect around that main reserve part of the lake a year ago. Only found modern coins but it has promise, if you look at the old photo's of the place you can see which parts have been landscaped since the 1950's and won't hold any silver coins and thus know to avoid them. The only part of that area I would be hesitant in hunting is around the bowling grounds and gondola at the top of the hill (grass is too manicured around the gardens there). Don't disregard the bush area especially if you can find the areas of the old walkways. Also find out where on the river the old timers used to swim - the areas around these spots will hold a lot of coins.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 15 November 2013 8:25:50 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Had a classic this morning.... Early morning hunt (as you do) and was just pinpointing a $2 when I glanced up to see a well-to-do woman making a beeline for me with her dish-mop of a dog, the sort of wanna-be upper class who put make-up and best jewellery on to walk the dog. We've all seen 'em.

Well, I wasn't going to stop as it was a relatively shallow coin and easy retrieve, so plugged the coin, stuffed it into the bag, sealed the hole and started sweeping again. She came over ready to point at the wanton vandalism I was doing to the grass...but couldn't find it!

I half ignored her and carried on, watching her out of the corner of my eye. Obviously upset that she couldn't pin it on me she carried on onto the reserve.

I couldn't help but call after her - " Excuse me...Dogs aren't allowed on the reserve..."

She obviously couldn't hear me ha ha...

Went on to find a double coin spill about 3 minutes later :)
kingtnarg  
Posted : Friday, 15 November 2013 10:36:43 AM(UTC)
kingtnarg

New Zealand

Thanks for the advice guys! We thought she didnt have a leg to stand on as we are very tidy and we take our time to keep it tidy where we dig. We have found some nice relics and coins which is giving us the bug even more!

Come on, GET IN!