New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

cpjfox  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 4:48:39 PM(UTC)
cpjfox

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The day after I received my new Gold Bug detector I decided to head to the coast and check out one of the fossicking areas, based on nothing really but a hunch, and it was the next closest after Shamrock, Shamrock being popular and close I figure it would be well raided, and the more obscure one down the road might be productive for me.

Boy, was, I, wrong.

Man, I, know, nothing!

But boy did I have fun!

I awoke to darkness at around 7am after spending the night in the foetal position in the front of my truck.

After observing a terrific blood red sun rise I headed into Ross to park near the start of the track.

First Up i thought i'd need to head up stream to stand a chance from where other people tried, so I walked up the paper road by the creek for about 2 hours before I realized that I was not currently near the creek, and that wasn't about to change. Anyone who has walked up that track knows I needed my pick and rock hammer to get up/down parts of it, right back to the clay and covered in a slippery moss, with a pack on, it was interesting to say the least, but after an hour battling gorse near the top and wishing I had a machete on me, I gave in and headed back down the the stream.

It was about 11am before I made it back to the bottom of the track and actually got on the stream bed.

I should add that this was the first time I have used a detector worth more than $50, It's the first time therefor that I've used one designed for Gold. I made a few assumptions, now discovered to be wrong, but as mentioned, I had fun, I didn't dig up any nuggets, but I probably did detect some, but I had some crazy ideas about flicking from all metal to Disc, and that If i received no signal under Disc it was probably nothing... Probably not true now that I've done some more reading...

Alas some gold was won in the pan, as well as some tiny garnets when I hammered the crevices up stream near a quartz reef/vein?

Number one thing I didn't take that I wish I did, one of those under water view finders, when I did get a signal that I dug for it was pretty damn hard to see where I was digging, and what if anything I was seeing, I used a move some stones and detect again, if signal stayed the same move more stones and detect again, etc...

Number one thing I was glad I had was the small 5" detector head, made looking on, over, under, around everything a breeze.

So the morals of the story? I had fun, I learn something, but I still know nothing except that I have fun colour or not.

Refer attached for my 'colour'

Going to have another go when I return from the north start of July, so all Nelsoners please leave at least one flood Nugget circa 2gm so I know if this beastie really works or not ;o)

--Charlie the Greenhorn.
cpjfox attached the following image(s):
D7K_5376.JPG
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 5:16:19 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:51:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cpjfox  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 5:42:11 PM(UTC)
cpjfox

Man

kiwijw wrote:
G'day Charlie, Good on you for getting stuck into it. Keep at it & you will be rewarded. It is all a learning curve & once you have a better understanding of your detector you will be away.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Happy hunting

JW :)

Thanks JW,

Will be spending a couple of weeks in the bush around Tairua late June, trying to decide if it's worth taking the detector, rock hammer and pan at least, wasn't the plan when I booked the hut out, but I'm wondering now if I should make it one. On top of 2 weeks supplies the detector could well be the straw that breaks this camels back though. Not to mention I'm not even sure (other than Waihi) where to start looking. Rule one (when starting) seems to be go where gold has been found, and I could be on the wrong side of the Penninsula.

NB: All questions above Rhetorical, more of a thinking out loud scenario.

I do have one question though, having scoured the topo map for the region, why in gods name are their so many old dams up the hills?
madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 7:34:02 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Brilliant yarn that one mate well done and cheers for sharing :) Kinda reminds me of my own wee trip up the arrow lol
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 7:40:57 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:52:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 7:48:03 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
if i bump,d into a dam like that JW i would never have gess,d it was used to get log,s out...interesting thanks for that.
nzgold  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 3:42:15 AM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Good onya for getting out there and doing it man. Does that Goldbug have a waterproof coil on it? Cheers :)
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 5:44:39 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi Charlie,

It's good to see you're getting out and doing it. I might be a little cautious about using the detector in the public fossicking area though. The public areas are for gold panning and sluice boxing, and mining is restricted to hand-held non-motorised methods only. I am sure you could argue the toss and say the detector is one of the hand-held non-motorised methods, but would you really want to?. I am sure your chances of finding something worthwhile using the detector would be greater outside the public areas, where the gravel has been turned over many times by many people.
cpjfox  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:20:35 AM(UTC)
cpjfox

Man

nzgold wrote:
Good onya for getting out there and doing it man. Does that Goldbug have a waterproof coil on it? Cheers :)

As far as I recall, all Fisher coils are waterproof, but this little beasty especially so, I can see a coating of what looks like varnish around all the seams of the 5" coil. Even my $50 el-cheapo model has a water proof coil, though the housing does leak, that doesn't affect it's (terrible) operation.

gjj109 wrote:
Hi Charlie,

It's good to see you're getting out and doing it. I might be a little cautious about using the detector in the public fossicking area though. The public areas are for gold panning and sluice boxing, and mining is restricted to hand-held non-motorised methods only. I am sure you could argue the toss and say the detector is one of the hand-held non-motorised methods, but would you really want to?. I am sure your chances of finding something worthwhile using the detector would be greater outside the public areas, where the gravel has been turned over many times by many people.

You may be right, though, not only is a detector hand held, it has no motor, not to mention, there is no way to prove what I am looking for, in fact, i tend to have a pouch fill of all the junk I've cleaned out of the river for them! the cheek they would imply i was breaking the law :oP

And alas you are probably right, I just figured i should start my journey where gold is known to exist. I'm slowly compiling something resembling an idea of detector workable areas thanks to the help of this forum and about 8 topo maps, as well as an old news paper archive which has lots of valuable information about the 'old' days, not quite to the point of WPS84 GPS Co-Ords, but a XX miles from XXton and XX miles from XXville behind mt/creek/ridge/XX and accessible with a mule type co-ords haha.

I'm thinking of following some leads around nelson Early July, so stand by for my next adventure.
cpjfox  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:53:28 AM(UTC)
cpjfox

Man

kiwijw wrote:

...Why have you picked the Tairua area??
I really doubt your detector will be needed on this side of the peninsular. Rock hammer deffinatly. Waihi gold is microscopic & not visible to the naked eye. It is sulphide gold in hydrothermaly mineralized quartz. The Tairua river like most creeks in the coro will give you very fine specks of gold...

To cut a long story short, due to the nature of my Job, the only time of the year that I get to take off is over Winter.
Last year I chose to spend a bit of time by myself up in the Canterbury foothills, middle of winter not many people are keen to tramp through waist deep snow to get to a hut and freeze their balls off for a week or so, thus I was guaranteed solitude. But I ended up dancing with the devil <10 minute yarn omitted >

Anywho, I thought this year I'd like some solitude again, and decided to head a a hut further north to avoid the snow, and found a group called Te Moata have huts you can hire, off the beaten track, for a solitary retreat.

The booking of the hut had nothing to do gold, as when I made all the plans I had nothing to do with it either.