New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chchfossiker  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 3:43:17 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
weekend away on the coast to get my first bit of colour. drive over was beutiful and sunny until we got there and the rain came.

was raining the bulk of the time but being a greenhorn didnt bother me 1 bit.water was running down my body and filling my gummies.

the missus wasnt to happy about tenting in the weather.especially when i sed i was going for a scratch for about an hour, then turned back up at camp 5 hours overdue.

once i was wet i saw no point in coming back to dry off

i tried out shamrock public area on the way in for 3 or 4 hours and only managed a few specs and a flake or 2.

most it came from a creek that i found that was runnig in the bush along side a new house subdivision in the foot hills which i was suprised at.

i just seen hatters pics below kinda embarassed to put mine up but hey i had a bloody gud cheap weekend away and got my first bit of colour (wont be taking the missus next time) so any one keen for a scratch some time???

these are the biggest (tiny) flakes i got.ive got about the same again in specs and dust plus a 10L bucket of fines to pan out.

Edited by user Sunday, 5 June 2011 3:45:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 4:14:15 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Better than my first efforts - good on ya!
chchfossiker  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 4:29:54 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

yeah i was happy with it for my first efforts.was in the rain in the river for about 14 hours over two days.

am thinking of going down to danseys ways next weekend befor the ski season starts up.

mite be a bit cold for the tent down there so will try and rig some curtins up in the van and chuck a matress in the back.any one else down those ways? or going for a dig in the area hit me up would be good to see how others do it.i still dont realy no what im doing just going off what ive seen on videos and reading info on here.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 4:58:41 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Good on you, At least you werent skunked.

Happy hunting

JW :)
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 5:11:34 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Well done Carl. At least you received a reward for your peristence and you did well to find anything there when it is in flood.

cpjfox  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:18:22 PM(UTC)
cpjfox

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good job, I feel better about my pickings down at Jones creek considering how wet i didn't get (other than boots from slipping in the drink past the gortex lining and profusing sweating from climbing the wrong dagnamit mountain track)

Danseys pass is on my tohit list, though I'm thinking of swinging a detector up the hills rather than a sluice down the river.
chchfossiker  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:27:14 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

cpjfox wrote:
Good job, I feel better about my pickings down at Jones creek considering how wet i didn't get (other than boots from slipping in the drink past the gortex lining and profusing sweating from climbing the wrong dagnamit mountain track)

Danseys pass is on my tohit list, though I'm thinking of swinging a detector up the hills rather than a sluice down the river.

yea id prefer to swing a detector down those ways only problem is i gota get one first
cpjfox  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:49:16 PM(UTC)
cpjfox

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
chchfossiker wrote:

yea id prefer to swing a detector down those ways only problem is i gota get one first

Nice avatar, crop crop crop, makes the pickings appear larger ;o)

Well I'd offer to lend you my el-cheapo, but, It probably wouldn't detect anything less than a 10oz Nugget if it was on top of the ground with a small sign saying "I'm a 10oz Nugget"

I waved my vial of gold flakes, similar amount to yours perhaps slightly less over the coil and got nowt, Put next to the Gold bug, with the 11" coil, could pick it up around 6" away in the air, as for how far in the ground that means, who knows, depends on the ground, would definitely like to do some air tests with a variety of nuggets from 0.5gm up.

The Gold Bug 2 seems to be THE detector to get if you want change from $2-3k, but, the next shipment into the country isn't till July. only $1250 though, may (probably definitely won't) perform as well as the mine labs, but, I can live with that based on the cost savings.

The Gold Bug cost $1050 with both the 5 & the 11" coils, with one coil though only $800.

I'd offer to loan it to you while I'm up north so it doesn't gather dust, but like Wives and Chainsaws, maybe it's not one of those things you should never loan out...

Edited by user Sunday, 5 June 2011 6:50:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

garrymac  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 7:07:30 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
try under the brigde on the pass side from the pub You will see where a guy from ranfurly has been dredgeing All those big rocks in there will produce a bit of colour. If you want to walk up stream for 5 mins you will come across a big white boldor taking up most the creek,Facing upstream i have cleaned to bedrock3.5 grams left side Now on the righthand side ther is a crevis rigth under the boulder down about 3 feet 6 grams came out of there xmas just gone you see up the cliff face where the dredge came down only a four inch.Downstream 15 feet my son got his first flake 2grams under flat rock happy hunting up there I,ve had 20 years scarchting up around that country
chchfossiker  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 7:30:58 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

garrymac wrote:
try under the brigde on the pass side from the pub You will see where a guy from ranfurly has been dredgeing All those big rocks in there will produce a bit of colour. If you want to walk up stream for 5 mins you will come across a big white boldor taking up most the creek,Facing upstream i have cleaned to bedrock3.5 grams left side Now on the righthand side ther is a crevis rigth under the boulder down about 3 feet 6 grams came out of there xmas just gone you see up the cliff face where the dredge came down only a four inch.Downstream 15 feet my son got his first flake 2grams under flat rock happy hunting up there I,ve had 20 years scarchting up around that country

nice going. ill be coming up from duntroon side think ill just have a scratch on that side of the pass.my 4wd is out of action at the moment. will go right over when i get the fixed

Edited by user Sunday, 5 June 2011 7:47:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 June 2011 2:06:00 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Good on ya mate!Out there doing it-priceless!