New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

luke  
Posted : Friday, 22 November 2013 7:27:48 PM(UTC)
luke

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 13 post(s)
My new detector turned up a few weeks ago and iv been out a few times.
The first photos is from an old spot i got lots of bits from with my goldbug but i was not getting anymore with it. the minelab did great and i found a few bit in spot i had spent a lot of time in.
UserPostedImage

This is from a new spot today. So hot but good to find gold somewhere different. Can't wait to head back and spend some time poking around.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, 22 November 2013 7:32:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 22 November 2013 8:16:49 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Okay, so what's the model of the new machine?
luke  
Posted : Friday, 22 November 2013 9:42:58 PM(UTC)
luke

New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Its an old Minelab GP Extreme, still learning how to use it but think i,m getting the hang of it.

just find it hard to pinpoint compered to the Goldbug, i end up digging a hole way bigger then i need to chasing the signal. may have to put a pinpointed on the Xmas list.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 23 November 2013 8:58:04 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Luke, Nice going there mate. Congrats :) I am sure you will find a lot more gold with your minelab in your old haunts. Deeper bigger gold that you gold bug didnt get down to. If you try different size coils you have every chance of getting even more gold off the same ground. I am still getting bits off ground I have been over god knows how many times with different coils. Although it is getting very hard to find bits now.

The last couple of days produced these sub gramers

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Different days & different weather conditions make a difference to. Moist damp ground can give you a bit more punch in to the ground & also makes things a bit more sensititive. Brings the ground to life a bit more too so you need to get & maintain a good ground balance.

Good luck out there

JW :)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 23 November 2013 9:18:25 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luke Go to Quoted Post
Its an old Minelab GP Extreme, still learning how to use it but think i,m getting the hang of it.

just find it hard to pinpoint compered to the Goldbug, i end up digging a hole way bigger then i need to chasing the signal. may have to put a pinpointed on the Xmas list.

Hi Luke, nice colours! :)

I got myself a Garrett Pro Pointer for this same reason, but don't actually find it that useful on small gold. Practically needs to be touching it before it gives a signal. So not that useful. Not sure if the Minelab pinpointer is any better though?

Funny... I actually bought myself a Goldbug Pro to complement my GPX 4500. I tend to get out over the West Coast more so a bit more bush to bash through = not so fun with the GPX and it's wires. However, down in Otago I think I'd be happy with just the GPX.