New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Thursday, 28 November 2013 4:38:31 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
In my latest G.P,A,A, mag, a guy wrote a very nice story about Swinging on the Ocean Beach of San Diego. In it, it's got a formula, Less Friction + Shrinkage + Rings in the wet sand, which equates to a very happy treasure hunter. You could add lubrication to this formula, sun tan cream.
But what's more important is his style of detecting As he is walking along the beach he does a S pattern, which I think means a zig -zang. Now here's the important bit. He's looking for a pattern in the beach where he finds the targets. Are they in a line or in one spot ? This could save a lot of time searching and more targets.

Happy Hunting
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 28 November 2013 5:40:25 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Yes, when covering a large beach then a S or W (zigzag) pattern will allow you to cover the maximum amount of sand in the minimum time. Sometimes low spots where the rings aren't as deep or areas where coins have concentrated are not obvious and zigzagging is the best way I know of to find these spots in a large area. How tight to make the W depends on how sanded in the beach is, how large an area you want to cover etc.

But when a target is located then spiral out from the target in 3/4 swing width circles until you find no more targets, this is because if there is one find then the chances of similar targets being in the area is high. Once you have made a few circuits with no hits continue zigzagging along the beach. If you drag your scoop behind you whilst doing this you end up drawing some nice patterns on the beach which has every other beach goer scratching their heads after you have gone :)