New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

goldhanded  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 8:09:54 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi all,probly not much can be done but in a tight spot so sosnt hurt to ask.I have a Garrett infinium,has been a good machine,I have brought it with me down south on a detecting trip,purchased the mono coil and waterproof headphones as extras before I left,now I got down here and tramped a fair hike back in the hills,possibly bumped it a couple times,but was still going ok when I got to destination,I did a few dives with it but only a metre or 2 deep,anyway it started falseing,and it's actually falseing on the sweep like it's reading something(it's falsies on me before but normally at the end of a sweep)I have swapped coils,headphones,batteries and still the same,I can't see any water residue anywhere,dosnt appear to have taken any water in,I just let it sit for 2days and it's still the same,am drying it out next to fire at the moment(that's if it needs drying out)as last attempt to fix myself.
I was wondering if anyone had ever had a similar problem with one and if so what's the story?I imagine it's off overseas to be fixed which would be very upsetting,anyway any input would be appreciated,got some time to spare as it's raining on coast till Monday,cheers
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 1 December 2013 9:54:45 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
G'day

Have you taken the coil and headphone connections out. Doesn't take much moisture in the Coil connector to make them false.
Check your O-rings as well. I got a FANTASTIC deal on an ATPRO that was consistently falsing and all it was, was a missing coil O-ring!

You can dry the connectors in rice

Next step would be to try another coil, if you still have the problem then unfortunitely you know where the problem is - The control box.

goldhanded  
Posted : Sunday, 1 December 2013 8:06:49 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi and thanks guardian,yes I did all these things and have just been studying the control box,have found a hairline crack and possible moisture,in fact I'm pretty positive it's leaking now,so I'm going to keep it warm and dry and see if it'll right itself and I suppose il have to keep it above water,which is better than nothing,if it is a leak I may try sealing it somehow as the warranty I have for it hasn't been filled out,so could be more trouble than what it's worth to get it fixed,unsure but thanks for your help,cheers
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 4:45:43 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I wouldn't worry to much about the warranty card - email Garrett, shipping will be the expensive part but if you send just the control box it might not be so bad.
If you can handle the challenge or know someone that can do a transplant you might be able to talk Garrett into sending you the control box housing. Worth a shot!

They will most likely say physical damage but they usually are still willing to help.
latch  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:10:38 PM(UTC)
latch

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
if you do decide to seal the unit and replace the board me and guardian might be able to help out
fiend hard and find all