New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Monday, 30 December 2013 5:27:52 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Evening all... Anybody out there have both the 5 inch and 10 inch coils? If so what depth difference if any have you noticed?
I have the 5 inch but I dont think Im getting the depth I should-fresh batteries I get about 3 inches on a .5 gramme flake-edge on I barely get a signal.
Do coils "go off" over time?
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 December 2013 8:49:11 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
hi overdog,

something doesn't sound quite right there.

i'm not a gb pro expert but luke on here has one which i've seen in action (i've got the GB2 with elliptical coil).

is the .5 gram flake lying flat i presume? if on its side it may be tougher to detect but it should be pretty loud on the flat.

i get a bout 4 inches on the GB2. have got a 18.3 grammer at a way greater depth but 4 inches is what i usually go with. if dirt is deeper i just rake it about level and keep lowering down.

i'm presuming the 5 inch should go deeper than the 10 inch? luke was using the 5inch. i think it was so he could get around the crevices better as the 10 inch is a bit cumbersome on this in the deep bits. the 10 would cover more ground tho.

i'm wondering if you have a problem with your coil on the 5 inch. this seems to be a big problem for these new GB machines. luke had issues with his and i think he got a new one from memory?

anyhow, you should be able to detect way smaller than a .5 gram flat flake. i've pulled gold out of bedrock that was as small as 0.03grams. turns out to be more work than its worth at that size but good to know it can detect that fine once i figured out how to use it better.

good luck with the coil. maybe luke can add to this?
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 December 2013 9:47:29 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I've got both a 5" and 10" but found the 10" far too noisy last time I played in all-metal mode - it would go off at the slightest knock. I'd love to compare with someone local (I'll chase that up soon) who has the same coil to see if it's a coil issue or just extra sensitivity as Robert of Puiaki Supply suspects. The 5" was just a lot easier for me to use as didn't keep giving off false signals at the slightest knock. 10" was just too frustrating to use.

Not had a chance to get out and play much, but that will change in the next week :) I'll try and create a video of the 2 coils so you can see what I mean and to get opinion if it's just normal coil noise. Not had a chance to experiment since I asked Robert about the issue back in Nov.

Anyway, a bit off point (sorry), but I was under the impression the 10" would go deeper? I'll have a play soon on my next wee mission and let you know how I get on regarding depth.
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 December 2013 10:50:55 AM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hmmm, having second thoughts about getting a bigger coil for mine now. Mite research and get other users advice first.

Looking forward to the vid gavin, could you do a depth comparison for gold flakes, small nuggets etc. I've seen all of the youtube clips tests with the gb and gb pro, they mostly focus on bigger things like gold crosses, necklaces etc. Cheers. :)